Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
I'm trying to help a friend with their iPad Air 2 problem. He seems to have some kind of virus; it appears in the form of a pop-up that shows up randomly in Safari whenever he's browsing the web. It completely takes over the open tab.

He's cleared all the browsing data but that didn't seem to help. How can we fix this?

mythdemon

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2011
San Diego, California
I'm trying to help a friend with their iPad Air 2 problem. He seems to have some kind of virus; it appears in the form of a pop-up that shows up randomly in Safari whenever he's browsing the web. It completely takes over the open tab.

He's cleared all the browsing data but that didn't seem to help. How can we fix this?

Clearing all browsing data via Settings should ideally solve this problem. Did he get a message indicating that browsing data on all browsers he's signed into with his Apple ID will be lost?

More information about the kind of popup or a screenshot would help.

Reactions: iClone

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Can an iPad even get a virus through normal browsing?

Definitely needs more info on what the popups are.
It could also be the iSP. Some ISPs will trigger a warning popup if a user goes to questionable sites.

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
It's with multiple websites; seems to just happen on the browser. It's not an ISP problem, though, it's definitely a "click here to claim your prize" type pop-up ad.

That said, installing AdBlock Plus for Safari did seem to get rid of it, but that's sweeping the problem under the rug. When I see him today, I'll check if it happens on Chrome too.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Sounds just like regular pop ups then.
First, make sure you enable "Block pop-ups" in Settings, Safari.
Then yes, install an adblock.
Your friend should be fine.

Skyholder

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2011
To piggyback on this, I see references to pop-up blockers for safari.
Any recommendations for Chrome users?

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
It's with multiple websites; seems to just happen on the browser. It's not an ISP problem, though, it's definitely a "click here to claim your prize" type pop-up ad.

That said, installing AdBlock Plus for Safari did seem to get rid of it, but that's sweeping the problem under the rug. When I see him today, I'll check if it happens on Chrome too.

actually it's not 'sweeping the problem under the rug' at all. its not a virus, it actually is ads. well scam ware using ad tricks to work.

bopajuice

Suspended
Mar 22, 2016
Dark side of the moon
My question is why are you so concerned about a "friends" ipad and know all about their browsing habits and settings ? Maybe if you told us where you were actually browsing we might be able to help.

r8ders2k

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2009
Here’s what has popped up on my iPad Air 2 in the last couple of days.

A10377CB-DCDC-477A-BBFE-5DE7BE7BE7EB.jpeg

I would just close the tab and continue with browsing. According to Safari’s History, it popped up 3 times. It happened while I was on the AVSForum.

Although I wasn’t able to take an actual screenshot, I was able to find it on Google.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
My question is why are you so concerned about a "friends" ipad and know all about their browsing habits and settings ? Maybe if you told us where you were actually browsing we might be able to help.

What difference does it make whose iPad it is?

Atomic1977

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2017
West Bend Wisconsin
I don’t think iPad can get viruses. As I don’t see any sign of antivirus apps for iPad anywhere. But adds like what he’s seeing do happen and add blockers do help somewhat

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.