Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Ah, no preorder and fast turn around time. Clever Apple. This will almost ensure that there will be lines at the stores even though this is a launch of a non-flagship phone and an iPad line that is seeing sales decline.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Of course there is nothing wrong in making money. They are running world's most valuable company. But was this company like this every before? Making money with going to sell old products in new package? Are they too hungry that, they are trying to make a cheaper version so so hard to gain market share! Their focus is completely in cheaper iphone even though 5c was disaster!

Not so sure the 5c was a disaster in some countries. I think the cheaper phones do give Apple access to countries that are more budget minded. If the new 5se has an A8 chip in it, that will be a very good upgrade in power for a smaller screen phone and should make it very competitive among the lower cost phones.

Where I will agree with you is Apple is a different company than it was 5 years ago. The iPhone is a monster product and Apple is constantly under the eyes of investors who are looking for more. This does change a company.

My only advice for Tim Cook would be (and BTW... who the hell am I to give advice to the guy that runs Apple???), but I would recommend... Lay-off half your employees, ban meetings and focus more on smaller more agile teams. I worry that Apple is starting to suffer some from a bloated process and too many cooks in the kitchen.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
If the 5se can be configured with a 5.5-inch screen, a dual lens rear camera, A10 processor, 128GB (or more) storage, 2GB (or more) RAM, and a surprise feature or two, I'll consider it.

Otherwise, I'll stick with my 6+ and wait to see what they announce in September.

Reactions: HarryWild

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
If there is no Apple Pencil support I'm not even remotely interested.
I don't want an iPad Pro. I want a mini or an air with pencil support.
Wake up Apple!!!!

It is astounding how Apple acknowledges the rapid decline of iPad sales but then refuses to include features that would give Air and Air 2 owners reason to upgrade. But on the positive note for me I'll get to keep that $600 in my pocket.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Smart move. It gets people an updated 4" iPhone that they so desperately want... and another Apple event gets Apple much needed media attention. They never have enough of that :)

bensisko

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
The Village
It is astounding how Apple acknowledges the rapid decline of iPad sales but then refuses to include features that would give Air and Air 2 owners reason to upgrade. But on the positive note for me I'll get to keep that $600 in my pocket.

You're being a little hasty - wait for Apple to officially announce the product before condemning them.
[doublepost=1455310338][/doublepost]
The pencil is the dumbest product Apple has released in recent memory. It's an overpriced and glorified stylus which Steve Jobs would never have approved of.

Products like the pencil have started to turn Apple into a complete joke.

Clearly, based on the replies here hoping for Pencil support on the Air 3, you're wrong.

Number-Six

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2013
The pencil is the dumbest product Apple has released in recent memory. It's an overpriced and glorified stylus which Steve Jobs would never have approved of.

Products like the pencil have started to turn Apple into a complete joke.
It seems to me that everyone who say Steve Jobs would never have approved of X thing forget one thing: everyone evolves and may change their minds on any given subject.

Wahlstrm

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2013
Where I will agree with you is Apple is a different company than it was 5 years ago. The iPhone is a monster product and Apple is constantly under the eyes of investors who are looking for more. This does change a company.

Yeah, Apple used to be a computer company with a smartphone business on the side.
Today Apple is a smartphone company with computers as a diminishing side business..

Mackinjosh

Suspended
Aug 21, 2014
They're doing it this way because even they understand that neither of these products are going to be coveted by many people outside of the fanboy base.

BillyMatt87

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2013
You're being a little hasty - wait for Apple to officially announce the product before condemning them.
[doublepost=1455310338][/doublepost]

Clearly, based on the replies here hoping for Pencil support on the Air 3, you're wrong.
The Apple Pencil should've at least been bundled in with the iPad Pro instead of costing an extra $100 which is definitely quite overpriced especially since the iPad Pro already starts at $800. Not exactly a great value for a near 13" tablet that essentially runs a lazily blown-up phone OS.

Reactions: Sea Bass and Kiro

Mackinjosh

Suspended
Aug 21, 2014
No chance for the SKYLAKE 12" MacBook update? :(

wnkzplW7QSpc4.gif

Who cares about new watch bands... ?
The same tiny amount of people who care about the awful 12 inch MacBooks?

Reactions: Sea Bass

rkieru

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2015
The whole concept of the iPhone 5se seems like a bad internet rumor.

Apple doesn't really have a history of kowtowing to customer demand if it means stepping backward. They changed the iPod click wheel and ignored user complaints. Why would they take a step back to a smaller phone?

More questionable; why would they brand that smaller phone under a previous iteration? Why wouldn't it be the iPhone 6e or the iPhone 7e? Why would they use 'se' as a suffix at all? "Why yes, this is my iPhone Five Ess Ee" doesn't sound very good when spoken, and the shorter "Yes this is my iPhone Five See" creates verbal confusion with an existing product.

I'd like to give Apple credit in that they consider things like this when naming a product.

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
So what's the event invite tagline going to be? "We have a little something new to share with you?"

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
If there isn't a must have feature then this will be a boring upgrade. It either needs to have Apple pencil support or a 4K screen(unlikely I guess). If Apple just bumps the hardware a bit and adds a few speakers I don't see people rushing out.

Wahlstrm

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2013
"Who needs a stylus? Yuck!" - Steve Jobs, 2007

And when using a phone most people still agree that fingers are way better and would never go back to the old tiny stylus..

The iPad is not a phone and finger-painting basically stops being the preferred method at the age of 3? :)

Reactions: Dave Walker

rockinrony

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2015
The current product lineup has gotten pretty bloated under Tim Cook because he's obsessed with maximizing profits, not making the best quality devices. Apple has forgotten their priorities and now they're no different from any other tech company.
Of course Tim is not at all concern about products, quality and image of the company. And why the hell he should be? By blood is a finance and supply manager. He see Apple as a ready made shop to make money, grow profits and make investors happy with big numbers. Rest everything he threw on top technical members who are forced to work under Jony who is now making ugliest designs he could ever make for every product

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.