Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I'll need some significant upgrades from the Air 2 if they want me to get the Air 3.
Same here. At first I was thinking that support for the Pencil and upgraded processor would be enough for me to consider passing on my Air 2 to my wife and buying the Air 3. But I'll need to see what actually gets delivered with the Air 3, wait for the reviews, and then make the decision at that point.

Then there's the outside chance of Apple announcing a feature for the Air 3 that would make it a compelling "day-1" purchase. I'm in the very small minority who want that feature so highly unlikely to happen.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
You're being a little hasty - wait for Apple to officially announce the product before condemning them.

Fair enough. But in all the Air3 rumors that I've seen at least the sense is pencil support won't be included either because of cost or lack of screens. So, yes, I'm (prematurely) bracing for the worst because, unfortunately, these days, I put more stock in rumors than Tim Cook's ability to surprise us with compelling products. An Air3 w/o pencil support isn't going to reverse the iPad's sales curve.
[doublepost=1455372062][/doublepost]
"Who needs a stylus? Yuck!" - Steve Jobs, 2007

Yes, but pencil critics erroneously conflate it with a stylus. The comparison ends at there similar shape and being input devices. The stylus Job's was referring to was the thin plastic stick required to operate some PDAs and PDA phones like the Palm. And yes, it was awkward to annoying to have to pull out a stick to push a button or learn a new alphabet to write notes.

But that isn't what the Pencil is about. The Pencil is an enhancement, not a requirement. And it has specific uses, not a catchall device like a mouse or trackpad. In that regard the stylus and the finger are closer to the mouse and trackpad, not the pencil.

Reactions: Sea Bass

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
My iPhone 5 still works, but the battery only lasts a short time. I really don't want to spend another dime on it and I think I'm going to go for the 5se. The screen is small to play games, which I don't play many, just Clash of Clans really. But even an iPhone 6 screen is still small to play the game, vs an iPad. I also want something I can easily carry in my pocket. The 6plus is out of the question, and I think I'm going to wait and see what the 5se looks like.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
I personally think iOS 9.3 will be released before the March 18th unveiling of the iPad Air 3 and the iPhone 5se.

I'm actually interested in the iPad Air 3, especially with way more RAM available (I've heard rumors of anywhere between 3 to 4 GB of RAM). That makes it easier to have multiple apps "open."

Wahlstrm

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2013
I agree they should focus more on the watch in making a breakthrough.
They have the soc expertise and battery optimalisation knowledge(in software) to do a homerun on this device.
Make it faster, make the communication between the iphone and watch a lot faster, make it more independent of the iphone, give it gps, slim it down a little, give it smaller bezels( curved/edged screen) .Make bands with added health sensors, perhaps built in battery, camera, and they would have the most advanced watch in the market right now.

But apple seems to be worried too much about margins right now to release new techniques.
Stop about worrying about the margins right now for the apple watch. Make something ground breaking. For the margins rely on the iphones en iPads and macs now.
Make a watch everybody wants, to establish a name in the wearables space and just when the iphone really stalls in growth, make a switch too rely more on apple watch for margins.

Bet on the new horse now, instead of waiting the old horse to run out of breath, invest in the new horse, be satisfied with less margins/winnings for now and collect more money further down the road.

From a consumer point of view I would like the watch to be my personal hotspot with all the cellular and sensor stuff in it. Then I could pair it with my all my other devices for a complete access. Since cellular-technology only change about every 10 years the watch could be quite premium since it won't be a dinosaur for at least a decade.. But Apple can provide me with a super skinny and speedy iPad / iPod Touch-like device every year instead for me to use as a "big screen accessory" to my watch..

Or just give me a 12" "dummy" retina macbook that connect to the watch (airplay/BT) and let me use the watch as a laptop..

Basically what i want is a tiny computer on my arm that I can access from various screens and keyboards depending on my need.. Probably a few years away thou :D

ValO

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2012
From a consumer point of view I would like the watch to be my personal hotspot with all the cellular and sensor stuff in it. Then I could pair it with my all my other devices for a complete access. Since cellular-technology only change about every 10 years the watch could be quite premium since it won't be a dinosaur for at least a decade.. But Apple can provide me with a super skinny and speedy iPad / iPod Touch-like device every year instead for me to use as a "big screen accessory" to my watch..

Or just give me a 12" "dummy" retina macbook that connect to the watch (airplay/BT) and let me use the watch as a laptop..

Basically what i want is a tiny computer on my arm that I can access from various screens and keyboards depending on my need.. Probably a few years away thou :D

I guess that will never happen with the watch, perhaps an advanced AR solution,will be the all-in one solution, in which you can look at virtual pc screens, tablets and smartphones. So you won' t need a big screen to carry around anymore.
Perhaps in the next 5 years....

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal

So you want magical batteries? Because that's what it would take to get to where you want to be.
You want a device with the least space to take on the charge of the most battery using things.
That's not happening within the next 3-5 years.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Same here. At first I was thinking that support for the Pencil and upgraded processor would be enough for me to consider passing on my Air 2 to my wife and buying the Air 3. But I'll need to see what actually gets delivered with the Air 3, wait for the reviews, and then make the decision at that point.

Then there's the outside chance of Apple announcing a feature for the Air 3 that would make it a compelling "day-1" purchase. I'm in the very small minority who want that feature so highly unlikely to happen.
Your thinking can equally applied to a potential the iPhone 6 to 6s upgrade.
[doublepost=1455388451][/doublepost]
From a consumer point of view I would like the watch to be my personal hotspot with all the cellular and sensor stuff in it. Then I could pair it with my all my other devices for a complete access. Since cellular-technology only change about every 10 years the watch could be quite premium since it won't be a dinosaur for at least a decade..
You might think of analogue cellular systems and the CDMA vs GSM split when you say cellular technology only changes about every 10 years. But that might be a North American perspective. GSM as introduced in 1991 is still part of the current standards and the lowest level of most networks today (ie, a 1991 phone should still work in today's networks). That is 25 years and counting (there is no move to disable GSM in the near or medium term).

On the other hand, if we want to define 'technology' not as a pure compatibility problem, it changes much more quickly than every 10 years. Take the progress from EDGE to LTE (which using iPhones as a yardstick took five years, 2007 to 2012) that alone meant data rates increasing from 60 kbit/s to 100 Mbit/s.

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
Do I sell my iPad Air 2 now, speculatively? Even if the air 3 is a minor update, the air 2 will likely drop a tier in price, so it would be better to sell on before that happens

But then if the air 3 is just an air 2 with a speed bump it might be better to keep the Air 2..
[doublepost=1455388987][/doublepost]
It's not gonna happen.

iPad Air 2 – A8X – 7.340mAh (27,6Wh) – 10W Adapter
iPad Pro – A9X – 10.307mAh (38,8Wh) – 12W Adapter

Battery life is the reason why the iPad Air 3 will only have an A9 (not A9X) probably with 2GB RAM. And instead of pencil support, it will have 3D Touch as that is what it needs to run universal iOS apps.
How do you know the 12-inch MacBook isn't the best selling Mac already?

3D touch will stay on phones I think. It's designed to be a quick one thumb access to frequently used activities. That suits a phone more than a tablet.

Then they'll use the new iPad pro screen tech for pencil support across all iPads.

DSTOFEL

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
Do I sell my iPad Air 2 now, speculatively? Even if the air 3 is a minor update, the air 2 will likely drop a tier in price, so it would be better to sell on before that happens

But then if the air 3 is just an air 2 with a speed bump it might be better to keep the Air 2..
That's what I did when I had my iPad Mini 2. I sold it just prior to the Mini 3 release "speculatively" to free up funds to purchase the Mini 3. Well needless to say, the Mini 3 was one of Apples big letdowns! Lukily, I sold the Mini 2 for enough that I was able to purchase a new 32Gb Air Original for just about the same price.

So, if you can get sell your iPad 2 for a good price....not much risk in my opinion....as worst case you could always repurchase a new Air 2 once the prices drop.

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
On their own, yes. If it had cost $29-39 instead, it would be a decent value but isn't $100 a bit overpriced considering what it is?

Active styluses for earlier iPads went for around the same price with way less accuracy, no tilt support, and no pressure sensitivity.

Yes it is expensive, but for those that want to use the iPad Pro as a drawing tool, it's good value relative to what was on the market for iPads before.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
My iPhone 5 still works, but the battery only lasts a short time. I really don't want to spend another dime on it and I think I'm going to go for the 5se. The screen is small to play games, which I don't play many, just Clash of Clans really. But even an iPhone 6 screen is still small to play the game, vs an iPad. I also want something I can easily carry in my pocket. The 6plus is out of the question, and I think I'm going to wait and see what the 5se looks like.
I think if I recall; the Apple retail stores will replace the battery for $60! That will make it like a new iPhone in terms of battery life! $60 now a days is still pretty reasonable; considering that you like it and still an okay iPhone for you!
[doublepost=1455409773][/doublepost]I been talking with iPhone users that use ther 4" and they are will to settle for a budget version as long as it has the A9 and 2GB RAM and an option for 128GB storage; camera should be state of the art! Otherwise; they going pass on it! They say they money is no object! Apple I think better get upscale/luxury instead of doing "budget" third world country smartphones; think rich Silicone Valley buyers!

Reactions: S G

Noble Actual

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2014
I just want two things.

1. Apple pencil support.

2. Enough RAM for it not get screwed over like iPad Air 1 did.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I thought these were normally fall updates? Like just after the iPhone release dates?

Apple's release schedule isn't written in stone and can change based on many different factors. A few years ago, iPads were released in March and iPhones in June. There's always the possibility that Apple will return to that, at least with one of the two. The big question facing potential iPad Air 3 buyers is will my iPad Air 3 end up having the same fate as the iPad 3 or will it be another 12-18 months before the iPad Air 4 shows up.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Will it be delivered with error53 bug?

Say what?
[doublepost=1455447246][/doublepost]
I think if I recall; the Apple retail stores will replace the battery for $60! That will make it like a new iPhone in terms of battery life! $60 now a days is still pretty reasonable; considering that you like it and still an okay iPhone for you!
[doublepost=1455409773][/doublepost]I been talking with iPhone users that use ther 4" and they are will to settle for a budget version as long as it has the A9 and 2GB RAM and an option for 128GB storage; camera should be state of the art! Otherwise; they going pass on it! They say they money is no object! Apple I think better get upscale/luxury instead of doing "budget" third world country smartphones; think rich Silicone Valley buyers!

I would be surprised if the "5se" got an A9, but maybe Apple has enough to go around now. A8 with 2GB RAM is what I think it will get.

Last edited:

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I wonder what new Apple Watch bands we are going to see? Considering I've brought the iPad Pro and I'm waiting on the iPhone 7, the watch bands are the only thing I'm interested in (unless they announce new MacBooks.)

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
I'm looking forward to the Tesla Model 3. What do you think are the chances?

Unless oil gets back to $80 a barrel soon, Tesla is Toast. The Model X is not selling well at all.
My predictions for the rumored March event:

iPad Air 3
  • 9.7" 1536x2048 display
  • Pencil support
  • A9 SoC, CPU clock > 1.85 GHz
  • 3 GB RAM
  • 4 speakers
  • Smart Connector
  • 32 GB, 128 GB
iPhone 5se
  • 4.0" 640x1136 display
  • A8 SoC or an A9 SoC with a CPU clock < 1.85 GHz
  • 16 GB, 64 GB
  • 2 GB RAM
  • 8 MP camera
Apple Watch
  • New bands
iOS
  • iOS 9.3 demo
I make no predictions on other things at this time.

Very close.

Air 3

No Pencil Support
A9X
16, 64, 128

5se

A9 :apple:
[doublepost=1455451668][/doublepost]
I for one can't wait for the new 4" iPhone. I love the size of my 5s, which my daughter will inherit on her 10th birthday, March 2., perfectly aligned (if the rumors are true) with the release of the new 4" iPhone. 4" is a perfect phone size. I don't have small hands, but still think the 6 and 6 plus are to big.

The 4" is going to sell like wildfire. It's the first logical decision Tim has made. 34% of current iPhone users use a 4" device. That's a BIG number. IMO, it is also the reason for the "rumored" 30% scale back in 6s production for Q2. They will pick up that 30% in the 5se. The guidance was lower, as AAPL will not have super margins on the 5se, along with other non iPhone issues.

I agree with those in here who know people looking forward to this. While it would be too small for me, I hear the same comments. It amazes me how many people I know with 5's and 5s'. I even know someone on a 4. Let's also not forget the potential for this as the "kids" first iPhone. The 5se will cut into 6s sales. No question. :apple:

Reactions: Benjamin Frost
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.