Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
That's really odd. While I don't have an Air, I do have an iPad 2, a mini (in the family) and assorted iPods, including the T5 on the most recent iOS. Every one of them can be rebooted by holding down the home and on/off button at the same time for 10 to 15 seconds and the red slider never shows up. The device just goes to the black screen and reboots. The reboot clears up lots of cobwebs and gets things running normally again.

I wonder if all Airs react that way.

Finally! After about 20 attempts, I got it to restart without the red slider showing up. Bizarre.

yeah i've been around since 2005 on here and noticed the past couple years have been nothing but complainers. i quit making threads awhile back bc of no responses. only way to get a response is to be negative in your title and you will get lots of hits. the ipad section is the worst...

Happy to hear from someone whose been around a while and remembers how things used to be. It is a pity that I only got replies here once I edited the title.

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
Finally! After about 20 attempts, I got it to restart without the red slider showing up. Bizarre.

That's good news. I recall it took me a while to get used to pushing both those buttons and keeping them pushed until the reboot occurred. Brute force. ;)

I took a look at your two unanswered questions. Don't have the knowledge or experience to even make a feeble suggestion. Sometimes when I encounter an iOS or iPad/Pod issue, I'll Google it first. Sometimes the topic is covered here, sometimes over at Apple, and sometimes at other tech sites.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
That's good news. I recall it took me a while to get used to pushing both those buttons and keeping them pushed until the reboot occurred. Brute force. ;)

I took a look at your two unanswered questions. Don't have the knowledge or experience to even make a feeble suggestion. Sometimes when I encounter an iOS or iPad/Pod issue, I'll Google it first. Sometimes the topic is covered here, sometimes over at Apple, and sometimes at other tech sites.

Well, I was pushing the buttons as I always have on my Apple devices. Maybe the iPad Air is just less cooperative. Or maybe the Smart Case is having some effect on the top button. No idea.

As for my other threads, I eventually figured out solutions for them. It was particularly painful with the last one, but I finally got everything working after deleting all of my mail accounts and reentering all info from scratch for the most important one. I still need to get the others entered, but at least my main account is working again.

And I should add that I did google this one first, as I do with all of my problems. From now on I'll just go to the Apple forums. I just posted a problem there and got very helpful answers within minutes.

Last edited:

Capt T

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2010
I will admit I was one of the people who looked at your thread and did not answer. Because I did not have any valid answer other than what you said you already tried, or to tell you to call ATT.

If you have not called ATT, I think you should try.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
I have experienced this on my mini. I've had to reset network setting to regain connectivity.
This seems to have started with 8.1.
The other thing I have noticed is while in a car it's not releasing the connection to particular towers.
I started noticing the search icon in the upper left was active when I was on the home screen.
The reset took care of that as well

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.