Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FranksWildYears

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
Anyone planning on heading to this store for the launch? I'm not sure of a time yet, waiting to hear rumours of stock levels and so forth.

Richy23

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2010
Hey Man! Funnily enough I was just popping on here to see if anyone had put a Plymouth one! I'll be there, looking to get there about 6:30 I think! After an iPad Air, 16gb in Space Grey! :D

FranksWildYears

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
Cool!

I reckon I'll show up between 5 and 6, maybe a bit later unless there are reports of unexpectedly large numbers of people. I doubt it'll be too busy; I've got little else to be doing at that time, so it's queue for a while, accept the obligatory free coffee and hopefully be in and out before 8:30.

gavinfabl

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2010
Dartmoor, UK
I queued for the 5S at Plymouth and I can tell you there is no point getting there early. I had trouble with the nano sim so didnt leave the Apple store until around 10am. After all the people who had queued had left, the staff went out the back and put more stock on the back table.

In other words, if you have turned up at 9.45am you would have got the 5S you wanted, without queuing. Except no gold like everywhere.

The iPad Air is pointless queuing for. There will be plenty of stock across all Apple stores including Plymouth. Just get there around 7.45am. The queue won't be massive as most people will queue for the new Mini which does have stock restraints. I intend to arrive at 8.30am. Should be optimum time to get one and leave.

And don't forget there will be more staff than customers as well so paying for one won't take long.

BTW what size of memory are you guys getting? I was thinking of 16 or 32gb in white?

FranksWildYears

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
I queued for the 5S at Plymouth and I can tell you there is no point getting there early. I had trouble with the nano sim so didnt leave the Apple store until around 10am. After all the people who had queued had left, the staff went out the back and put more stock on the back table.

In other words, if you have turned up at 9.45am you would have got the 5S you wanted, without queuing. Except no gold like everywhere.

The iPad Air is pointless queuing for. There will be plenty of stock across all Apple stores including Plymouth. Just get there around 7.45am. The queue won't be massive as most people will queue for the new Mini which does have stock restraints. I intend to arrive at 8.30am. Should be optimum time to get one and leave.

And don't forget there will be more staff than customers as well so paying for one won't take long.

BTW what size of memory are you guys getting? I was thinking of 16 or 32gb in white?

Does Drake Circus open up through the night? I mean, can you queue outside the Apple Store itself? I'm not going to get there that early, but I don't live in Plymouth and have to get home relatively early as I've got a busy day beyond that, so being right at the front of the queue (however small) and in and out by 08:05 has a practical benefit for me.

As for size, I think it'll be 32GB. I was 'okay' with 16GB on my iPad mini & iPad 4, but there were times when I wished that I didn't have to juggle. It's tricky though, because I'd rather like a Smart Cover & bluetooth keyboard, which are out of the question if I go for 32GB. I'll probably go for the extra storage in black - my iPad 4 was white, and it was fine in every way other than for watching media, where I sometimes found the bezel a bit distracting.

gavinfabl

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2010
Dartmoor, UK
I have to work so can't waste any time.

Seriously there were so many Apple staff each with a mobile payment machine. Therefore there is not point getting there early. You will be in and out in 10-15mins irrespective at what time you arrive.

You can't queue overnight.

Richy23

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2010
I have to work so can't waste any time.

Seriously there were so many Apple staff each with a mobile payment machine. Therefore there is not point getting there early. You will be in and out in 10-15mins irrespective at what time you arrive.

You can't queue overnight.

I thought people queued overnight for the iPhone 5C/S?

I'm hoping for 16gb iPad Air in Black! :D

Edit: http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/Gad...iPhone-5S-5C/story-19824024-detail/story.html

They queued from 10pm Thursday evening for it!

gavinfabl

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2010
Dartmoor, UK
I thought people queued overnight for the iPhone 5C/S?

I'm hoping for 16gb iPad Air in Black! :D

Edit: http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/Gad...iPhone-5S-5C/story-19824024-detail/story.html

They queued from 10pm Thursday evening for it!

So over exaggerated story. I have photos on my blog from the 20th Sept. The queue was minimal. And as I said there was a secret new supply of stock waiting to come out as soon as the crazy queuers had left.

And the Air has an abundance of stock, mainly as screen tech unchanged .So why queue ????

gavinfabl

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2010
Dartmoor, UK
Ok. I'm going against my advice and have been queuing at Apple Plymouth. What a waste. Including me now only 12 people in queue. Stock levels are huge as I said. If you want photos go to my twitter @gavinfabiani

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.