iPad Arcade Cabinet 'iCade' Now Shipping

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 24, 2011.

1. MacRumors, May 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2011

macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What started as a ThinkGeek April Fools joke has now become reality. The $99 iCade iPad arcade cabinet is now shipping to early customers. The iCade offers iPad users an arcade cabinet shell to slide your iPad in and use the physical joystick and buttons to play games. Our sister site TouchArcade has already received theirs and has been putting it through the paces:
    Out of the box, the iCade supports Atari's Greatest Hits iPad app which offers 100 classic Atari games in a single package. Almost every Atari game is already supported with the iCade. The included instructions show how different controls are mapped to the iCade:

[​IMG]

As figured out by @thatdecade, the iCade simply sends out two-letter sequences for each button or joystick movement. That means it should be trivial for any iOS game developer to build in support for the iCade into their future games.

Overall the controls seem solid and a welcome addition to these classic games.
    At present, the Atari game pack seems to be the only app to support the iCade. There do seem to be a few frustrations with the iCade acting like a Bluetooth keyboard. For example, when paired, the iPad won't bring up a virtual keyboard in text entry fields as it thinks the iCade is actually a keyboard.

The iCade is available from ThinkGeek but presently is on backorder.

Article Link: iPad Arcade Cabinet 'iCade' Now Shipping

2. macrumors 68040

iSee

I just love this thing! It is awesomely stupid/cool.
    I can't quite bring myself to shell out the $$$ though (I know I would not really use it).

3. macrumors 6502a

Fantastic they actually created it! But shame it doesn't look as cute as the original :(

4. macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

Um, both the quotes in the article are the same quote.

5. macrumors 6502a

I'm glad to see this go into production and not surprised it's currently on backorder. If I had an iPad I'd probably have ordered one.

6. macrumors regular

it's cute but really?

i imagine that will get as much play as a used condom would :eek:

7. macrumors 6502

Wonder if someone will use this 99$ stuff.

8. macrumors 6502

nate13

now all someone has to do is buy 20 iPads, these things, and rent a place downtown and BLAMO! Arcades are back! haha... wishful thinking maybe, but cool peripheral nonetheless

9. macrumors 68020

guzhogi

That would be so fun! Now if only I had the money…

10. Guest

toddybody

Dont get me wrong, its definitely a cool thing...just not worth the money:eek:

11. macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

Shut up and take my money!

12. macrumors 68020

ipedro

Sorry to revive an old thread but I'm wondering if anybody who's purchased the iCade can tell me if the coin slot leads anywhere. It would be cool to use the iCade as a piggy bank for quarters.

13. macrumors 6502

I would be interested if anyone had experienced issues with the new iPad (3) and iCade ? Since measurements are about the same it should work fine ? Other problems ? Thanks.

14. ipedro, Apr 9, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2012

macrumors 68020

ipedro

I've heard it works perfectly with the iPad 3. What I'm wondering is if Ion is planning an updated iCade with Bluetooth 4 which would be ideal for this kind of use.

Also, is it possible to update iCade's firmware should an iOS update break support?

15. macrumors G3

rhett7660

I have one, works fine with iPad 3. I just wish more games were made available or could take advantage of it.