iPad Battery Flat With Little Use?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by DiScO197, Sep 19, 2010.

1. macrumors regular

Hi Folks,

Couldn't think of a better title, but last night I charged my ipad to 100%, used it for about 5 minutes (mail/safari) then left it alone till this morning. When I just went to switch it on it was completely flat showing me the red empty battery symbol. Never had that happen before, could it be a problem? any ideas?

Thanks.

2. macrumors 68020

You might want to check your apps. One or more may be draining it with frequent pushes. Also, how often do you have it set to check your email? I have mine set to manual, and I also have notifications turned off.

All of these things can drain a battery even if you are not physically using the iPad.

3. macrumors 601

eawmp1

If he went to bed with a full charge and woke up with zero, no mount of push activity can explain that. OP, sound like a battery problem. Repeat a charge and if recurs, replace iPad.

4. thread starter macrumors regular

Hi, thanks. I'm pretty sure I've got all that switched off. I've been running it the same way since I got it and the first thing I do is turn push notifications etc off. I'll double check though. I always put mail to manual as I have always done with my iphone. It was very strange as normally they seem to go on forever especially after a full charge. Cheers.

5. thread starter macrumors regular

That's what I was thinking eawmp1. It would take a lot to drain that battery from full and there aint no multitasking going on here yet! She's on charge again now so we'll see.

6. macrumors 6502

Restore via iTunes after a backup to see if it's software. Return for a new one if no improvement. Never heard of this problem before.

7. thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, thanks caubeck. I think I'll try a restore when it's charged again.

8. macrumors 6502

wingsabr

sound advice. recharge, restore and reuse. if it goes down like that again you should go to Apple Store for exchange.

9. thread starter macrumors regular

So I did a full charge and a restore and it hasn't died from full as of yet, but, yesterday I got the 20% left message so I switched it off, went back a couple of hours later and it was dead to the point I could not even get the red battery recharge symbol and had to plug it in to the 10W adapter which after about 5mins it gave the recharge sound and I was able to power it up. I had no apps running, all push, fetch, notifications etc are off. How long would you expect it to last @ 20%? I know that depends on what you are using the device for but sat unused you'd think there would be at least a drop of juice left? Can't be right can it? Seems to drain pretty quick overall. Thanks.

10. macrumors 6502a

iPhysicist

Go to a Apple Store and let them replace it. Don't bother yourself with possible solutions.

And - this will be one more in the refurb store ;)

11. macrumors member

WiseDuck

Sounds strange. Mine doesn't even drop one percentage over night.

12. macrumors member

AM94

Is there an easy way to check that no apps have push enabled, or do you have to go into each one and check manually?

13. macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Check notifications in Settings

14. macrumors 68000

BillyBobBongo

Different question.

Was it still connected to your computer when you went to bed? I find that if I leave my iPod connected overnight to my iMac, and the iMac goes into Sleep Mode, it absolutely hammers the battery on the iPod. Although that might be because I leave it in the Universal dock. I've never tried it without the dock.

15. macrumors member

AM94

Thank you