Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zakfox1986

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
So. I was wondering what the odds of a good camera add on option for the iPod touch would be? Surely it wouldn't be that difficult to design and sell a small snap on camera of some sort (like webcams for notebooks or desktops that snap on the monitor, but a bit smaller and with a better form factor).

Since the iPad auto orients to any rotation, it could snap on into the 30 pin connector and either point toward the user for video conferencing or toward the back of the iPad as a camera. The iPhone SDK is already setup to use external accessories, so as far as UI it shouldn't be that big of an issue.

Anyways. Just an idea. I think the same thing could be done for GPS ability. Sure, it's a shame that these aren't integrated, but when it comes to GPS TomTom and other makers are in the market so it shouldn't take much to make this work as a viable option.

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
So. I was wondering what the odds of a good camera add on option for the iPod touch would be? Surely it wouldn't be that difficult to design and sell a small snap on camera of some sort (like webcams for notebooks or desktops that snap on the monitor, but a bit smaller and with a better form factor).

Since the iPad auto orients to any rotation, it could snap on into the 30 pin connector and either point toward the user for video conferencing or toward the back of the iPad as a camera. The iPhone SDK is already setup to use external accessories, so as far as UI it shouldn't be that big of an issue.

Anyways. Just an idea. I think the same thing could be done for GPS ability. Sure, it's a shame that these aren't integrated, but when it comes to GPS TomTom and other makers are in the market so it shouldn't take much to make this work as a viable option.

I'd be surprised if someone doesn't come out with one.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
From what I can tell the USB interface on the iPods and I'm guessing the iPad are all target devices. This means that they don't have a USB controller and thus they wouldn't be able to communicate with one another this way. BUT the iPad may have USB-OnTheGo which can switch from Target to Host then that would open a lot of doors. You might be able to do this via BlueTooth as well; that would be even more slick. :D

zakfox1986

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
From what I can tell the USB interface on the iPods and I'm guessing the iPad are all target devices. This means that they don't have a USB controller and thus they wouldn't be able to communicate with one another this way. BUT the iPad may have USB-OnTheGo which can switch from Target to Host then that would open a lot of doors. You might be able to do this via BlueTooth as well; that would be even more slick. :D

Actually, unless I'm missing your point, the 30 pin connector is able to handle the Apple SD/digital camera accessory which allows direct transfer of pictures from a camera to the iPad (source: Apple's website). Also, the iPod Touch and iPhone both support external accessories connected through the 30 pin connection such as GPS and docks. Maybe it takes something more special for a camera, but I'd think it'd work basically the same way.

Also, this could explain Apple's inclusion of some video conferencing and camera options in the iPad's UI.

Could a small camera size support decent (iPhone quality and better) camera quality?

liavman

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
Whenever I read about camera accessory, it makes me think how short-sighted the move by Apple it is for not including it as a standard in every iPad.
Now I have to check with the other party if they have the camera with them or they left it somewhere else etc. Even if Apple introduces it in V2, you have to check if the other person has V1 or V2 etc. For the use cases the iPad is targeted for, personal communications being one of them, leaving the camera to third party accessory is so dumb.

It is a new device category and they should start it with the minimum essentials.

R10

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2010
The iPhone will sen pics to the iPad. The apps are already in place.

Nebrie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
Whenever I read about camera accessory, it makes me think how short-sighted the move by Apple it is for not including it as a standard in every iPad.
Now I have to check with the other party if they have the camera with them or they left it somewhere else etc. Even if Apple introduces it in V2, you have to check if the other person has V1 or V2 etc. For the use cases the iPad is targeted for, personal communications being one of them, leaving the camera to third party accessory is so dumb.

It is a new device category and they should start it with the minimum essentials.

Because then everyone will be demanding to know why they can't just upgrade the memory by adding an SD card.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
Also, the iPod Touch and iPhone both support external accessories connected through the 30 pin connection such as GPS and docks. Maybe it takes something more special for a camera, but I'd think it'd work basically the same way.

Also, this could explain Apple's inclusion of some video conferencing and camera options in the iPad's UI.

Could a small camera size support decent (iPhone quality and better) camera quality?

The 30 pin connector has several different interfaces on it. One of which is a bi-directional serial interface. This is most likely how the GPS works. The docks don't do USB, just charging. Those that connect to PC's just use the PC as a host.

BUT I think that the USB will be different in the iPad. USB-OnTheGo is relatively new but the chips are now out there and readily available. I'm guessing this is what they are using in the iPad, it would make more sense. This puts the iPad in a much stronger USB light. :D

If they are using USBOnTheGo then full video conferencing via USB is very possible. Video via Serial, no way. With previous USB designs (non-OnTheGo) there has to be one dedicated USB host, the rest USB peripherals; this makes embedded systems quote a bit harder because something had to be a host or a peripheral, but now, with USB-otg that isn't the case and makes adhoc systems very cool.

ImaVeggie

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
Sure I was bummed that there wasn't going to be a camera on the iPad. Now after thinking about it, all I want is for the Camera Connection Kit to become available. My camera goes everywhere with me and is better than an onboard camera would be... 10 MP and 12x optical zoom.

602303.jpg

Stoney79

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2009

"After you make the connection, your iPad automatically opens the Photos app, which lets you choose which pictures to import, then organizes the selected photos into albums. When you sync iPad to your PC or Mac, the photos on your iPad are added to your computer's photo library."

Do you think we'll be able to choose which album we want to put each photo into or will they all just go into the main photo album?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.