iPad Camera Connector - HD Camcorder footage

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Sevv, Jun 18, 2010.

1. macrumors member

Im looking to purchase both a Panasonic HDC SD700 and an iPad for our up coming Florida holiday... ok its a great excuse :) I was wondering if youd be able to take the SD card out of the camcorder, plug it into the iPad Camera Connector and playback your HD footage on your iPad?

I wouldnt want to download it as... well it would take far too much space. Can you watch footage without first downloading it?

Cheers
    Jon

2. macrumors 604

ZBoater

No, you have to transfer to the iPad to view.

And Apple apparently doesn't allow HD footage that doesn't come through iTunes. The HD video out of my Canon 3500IS transfers but does not play. 640x480 video transfers and plays fine.

3. thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply, a real shame :( It would have been cool :)

4. macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

Also don't forget the frame rate. My HD camcorder does 720p @30 or 60fps and my iPad won't play it

pac

5. macrumors 68030

Amazing Iceman

Yikes! Does this mean that video from the Sony Bloggie camera will not play either? (Has anyone tried it already?)

6. macrumors 65816

I wonder if videos taken with iPhone 4 will transfer over and play?

7. macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Like most Apple products, it seems kind of fussy on video formats.

Does the output fall under the criterion here? I transferred HD footage from a Canon 5D mk II, as a means of storing it until I got home, and it did not play. Did not expect ti to because it was 1080p @ 43-48 mbps.

edit: I looked up the specs, and if you record in full HD (1080 / 60p : MPEG-4 AVC/H.264), then no you will not be able to view the files.

8. macrumors 6502a

Be careful, you may not be able to get the Camera Connector before your florida trip. How long before you have to go there? Because there's now like nearly a 2 month backlog on the Camera Connector kit.

9. macrumors newbie

It depends on the camera and the HD standard. For example, I can transfer HD footage shot with an Olympus uTough-6010 (H.264, 1280 x 720, Millions
    AAC, 1 channels, 44100 Hz) but not the full HD from my Kodak Zx1

10. macrumors 604

ZBoater

I assume that when you say transfer you also mean you can play them on the iPad? Ratz. What a pain in the hiney. :mad:

11. macrumors 6502

I have a Bloggie and it is mostly unsupported.

Well almost. You cannot connect it without it complaining it is not supported, but if the Bloggie is powered on first it will connect and show the photos on it. It will not import any movies though.

12. macrumors 65816

Tom G.

Video from my iPhone 4 will play on my iPad. I did it today.

13. macrumors regular

well, I'd be interested in how this turns out for you.

But, I'd like to thank you for coming down here to Florida for vacation. As long as you don't go to the panhandle, the beaches are still pristine and oil-free. Enjoy your stay.