iPad case by Otterbox

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by HE15MAN, Jun 6, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502a

HE15MAN

Does anyone know when it is coming out? I keep waiting and keeping my iPad uncovered, but am getting nervous. Any idea when their case wick be out, or one similar to their defender iPhone case ?

2. macrumors regular

3. macrumors 68040

peapody

This case is really nice, and otterbox is a great company. I am sad about that apple cutout in the center though.

As my sex ed teacher always told me: "the best protection is the protection you use".

I wouldn't wait.

4. macrumors 6502

No kidding. Why do so many companies feel the need for that cutout. When I went case shopping, that hole eliminated 50% of the cases from consideration. That is why I ended up with a hard candy tup case.

I do really like the looks of the defender, and I hope otter box does some research and gets rid of the hole.

Email them and suggest it.

5. macrumors member

This is pure speculation but I think the WiFi signal comes from behind the apple logo so it may actually help reduce interference. You could always cut a piece out of a screen protector to place over the Apple logo.

6. macrumors newbie

Correct. the Apple logo is the antenna for WiFi

7. macrumors 6502

Not it's not - the antenna is in the dock connector, according to the ifixit teardown. Why would you confirm someone correct when you have no real idea yourself?

8. macrumors 68000

3goldens

this is a really great case, the defender that is, i would get one if not for the damm hole.

I wrote them and asked them if it was not too late to reconsider this aspect of their design.

9. macrumors 68020

The "Wi-Fi Card" is integrated into the doc connector, not the antenna.

Skip to step 23 & 24

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPad-Wi-Fi-Teardown/2183/3

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. macrumors 6502

I stand corrected (and by my own mis-quoted source -ouch) with egg on my face. Hoisted by my own pittard...

:) thanks for the correction of my incorrect criticism, my apologizes to the poster I quoted.

11. thread starter macrumors 6502a

HE15MAN

I never got a response. I guess I am just going to have to try to find something else. I just dont really see any cases that look that great. :(

I dont want a folio case, something that is just around it and is kinda bounce protectant, that isnt hard plastic and scratches easily

12. macrumors member

13. macrumors 6502

Jmacman78

I ordered my Commuter! Can't wait. The Defender is a bit much for me I don't need quite that much protection on it.

14. macrumors member

The Defender will certainly make your iPad less sexy but it makes your iPad secure like a Panasonic toughbook :D