iPad Cases

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by NJRonbo, Apr 4, 2010.

1. macrumors 68000

What sort of cases are you guys buying
    for your new iPad?

I am still waiting on the official case from
    Apple to be made available:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC361ZM/A

Has this leaked into stores as of yet?

If not this case, what did you folks end up buying?

2. macrumors 65816

ijen0311

It's out in the Apple store already. I bought one and it's... just okay.

3. macrumors member

The apple case was available at my local store, didn't get it though

4. thread starter macrumors 68000

Interesting....why just okay?

For $40 I would rather buy something
    better if the Apple case does not cut it.

5. macrumors member

To be honest just a silicon sleeve for the backside of it will be plenty for me. I'll get a stand, but thats pretty much good for me. I'll also get a screen protector probably.

6. macrumors member

I love the case.

I'm not an apple fanboy (check my posts) but I love the case.. It's very well designed-- as I just posted in the "its too heavy" thread, the triangle configuration is perfect for holding the thing-- you can grab rather than pinch it, using bigger muscles in your arm, making it much more comfortable to hold for long periods.. Plus it will sit on the desk in either portrait or landscape, and closes to a very small form factor.

7. thread starter macrumors 68000

Going to store tomorrow so if
    someone has a strong recommendation
    for a case let me know which one
    you bought. Otherwise will look
    online for one.

Still curious to hear the shortcomings
    of the official Apple case

8. macrumors 65816

ijen0311

I think it's bulky still. I don't want something that the iPad has to "wear" all the time.

I have this for my Kindle and would love something similar for the iPad. I'm really more in the market for a sleeve:

http://www.amazon.com/OCTO-Leather-...=UTF8&s=fiona-hardware&qid=1270405427&sr=8-16

9. macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

Read some of the other threads on this topic.

10. macrumors 68020

AJsAWiz

Didn't buy but crocheted my own. It fits perfectly and is one of a kind :)
    [​IMG]

11. macrumors 65816

Sweet! I still have a fleece sleeve and extra battery holder my wife made for me when I bought my TiPB G4 a long time ago. :) If my MBP would fit in it I'd still be using it today.

12. macrumors 65816

TurboSC

yea have been hearing mixed feelings about the Apple case :/

13. macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

The Apple iPad case is not bulky in the slightest. The packaging was super thin and the actual case adds less than a few millimeters. It is a bit tight the first time putting it on but the second time and after, it loosened up. I'm also using it to prop the iPad up when charging or in picture frame mode.

14. macrumors 6502a

H00513R

Well done! I also would really just want a silicone sleeve for mine.

15. macrumors newbie

Covers for the iPad

Try looking at www.medgestore.com, they are going to have several different covers for the iPad. I have several for different types of Kindle's - 1st generation, 2nd and DX - they are well made and last very well. The Latitude Jacket is on that you can enclose the iPad into and zip it up and store a little in it as well... If you don't like them, just search the internet for: iPad covers. I am going to give the Apple cover a look see and try it - but I have to wait for my 64-3g.... patience is a what?:eek::confused:

16. macrumors 6502

I can't really tell you about the "shortcomings" of the Apple case. I had one delivered yesterday. Fedex showed up with the case about an hour after UPS dropped off the iPad. What's to say. It's a rubbery textured sleeve that fits like a glove. The iPad just slides into a slot and a flap of vinyl tucks over and behind it to prevent it from sliding out. In addition to giving some protection to the screen when not in use, it provides a very grippy surface for the expensive electronics inside. I've constantly used the "tilt" configuration with the cover flap tucked under the the iPad and into a little tab to keep it in place. That position is great for typing with the iPad on your lap. The cover does add some bulk. The naked iPad feels very nice in your hand while the case makes it feel a little bigger. But, I don't see how you could get much more minimal than the Apple case while still providing some reasonable protection.

17. macrumors 6502a

Nykwil

I'm looking to pick up a case that looks like a moleskin notebook. Anyone with suggestions?

18. macrumors 65816

woodekm

I pre ordered the one from Apple. Wish I would have waited for others to be bought a tried out so I can see the reviews before I buy.

19. macrumors 6502a

20. macrumors regular

I compared the Apple case and the inCase sleeve at the Apple Store on launch day. I decided on the inCase sleeve. The Apple case seemed like cheap cardboard. I also wasn't sure whether it would scratch the iPad after a period of time.

The inCase sleeve has the same white soft inside as the other inCase sleeves. Instead of a zipper it has a flap. The flap is a little tough to get on and off the iPad but i suspect that it will get easier as it gets broken in.

21. macrumors regular

22. macrumors 6502a

I ended up ordering the incase zipperless sleeve too, in the silver color. I think it looks really really nice. Plus I've always had good experience with their stuff, it's good quality.

23. macrumors 601

PNutts

I picked one up at the local Apple Store. Like an earlier poster mentioned it's nice to have a little more to hold onto. I felt like I was just using my fingers to hold the iPad naked and this case makes it easier to just grab onto. The inside cover is microfiber so it will help keep the screen clean, but be careful opening it all the way and setting it down because that microfiber is now face down on your table and could pick up <insert disgusting/damaging table top debris here>. The cover makes it feel more like a book in an odd way and I like it. It rides in the crook of the arm easier. My iPhone has silicone but I like Apple's iPad case.

When using it to prop up the iPad I wish it was a little more tilted (more like the dock).

24. macrumors 601

25. macrumors regular

I didn't like the apple case. Seems too flimsy and I didn't like the logo.

The only similar case they had was the incase convertible which is what I got. It's a bit bulky but it also helps to hold it. It also has multiple positions to angle it. Not bad so far.