iPad mini iPad data plans

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mrmike316, Dec 2, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

I am planning on getting A Ipad mini, my question is does ATT have monthly plans where you can buy data for a month at A time,then maybee cancel for A month then buy data for another month. THANKS in advance:)

2. macrumors 603

rgarjr

Yep, you can buy a monthly service whenever you want.

3. macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
  4. macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

This link is old. Don't they have 3gb for $30? Also, isn't it the same for 4gLTE?

5. macrumors 65816

6. macrumors 68000

pooleman

The guy at att said that if I cancel my monthly plan I would have to pay the $36 activation fee again when I signed it up again. Does that sound right?

7. macrumors 6502

flavr

These prices are robbery! Get the WiFi...pay ONCE and connect to the 10,000 WiFi spots around your area...I've had a WiFi only iPad for3 years, I can count on one hand the amount of times I needed more than a WiFi connection...worse case jump on your iPhone if you need information in a pinch...

8. macrumors 604

wordoflife

Post paid account? Maybe
    Pre paid account? nah

9. macrumors 65816

There is no activation fee for AT&T iPad data plans.

My iPad 2 is AT&T cellular. Never have paid anything but the $14.99 for 250MB. I've canceled the plan several times, waited a few months before buying another 250MB. No fees.

You purchase the data plan directly from your iPad. No need to have any contact with AT&T sales people.

Edited to add that I started out with a postpaid account. There was no fee other than the cost of the plan. Subsequently switched to the prepaid account.

10. macrumors 6502

One thing to remember: wifi hotspots are unsecure. Just something to keep in mind regarding websites, logins, passwords, and your personal data.

11. macrumors 68040

If you sign up for a plan with AT&T as a part of your cell phone plan, that may be true.

Instead, sign up directly on your iPad and control it from there. You can add and drop a monthly plan with no activation fee (but it won't be tied to a combined cell phone plan).

12. thread starter macrumors regular

13. davideotape, Dec 5, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2012

macrumors 6502

made this little tracker for myself and added it to Numbers for an update whenever I get nervous I might have used a lot of data. I expanded it for other carriers in case others might find it useful. It only has prepaid plans in it currently but it's a spreadsheet so add accordingly. Also check my math while you're at it, did this rather fast.

hope this is cool to post.

http://www.mediafire.com/?uj7n5hzcq3hv43i

Also, if anyone wants to turn this into an app (if it doesn't exist already), i want 35% :)