Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lady Arwen

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
Ohio
Is it necessary? I'm leaning towards getting the bluetooth keyboard, but it seems like a lot of cool things can be done with a dock. What exactly comes with the iPad, and what couldn't I do if I didn't have a dock?

Theidev

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2011
On the Web
I've wondered much the same thing.

I do not think you gain or lose anything but convenience.

I was going to get a Dock / Stand for my iPad, so it could sit by the Bed, alarm clock stylee.

In the end I bought the Standard, cheapest Apple Case, it stand fine by itself, plug it in, charges.

It's asthetic appeal, will it fit if your iPad has a Case etc?

Up to you i Guess.

Lady Arwen

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
Ohio
But can you still plug your iPad into your computer with what comes in the iPad box? Or do you need the dock to connect to a mac?

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
Okay. What exactly does a dock do then? If I don't need it to connect to my mac, why get it? I'm a bit confused with all these accessories.

No offense, but did you go to the Apple site and look at the dock and the other accessories that have you so confused? Click Here To See Dock. Each accessory includes a description, an overview, questions & answers, etc.

With the iPad Dock, you get easy access to a dock connector port for syncing or charging, and an audio line out port for connecting to powered speakers via an optional audio cable. The iPad Dock also supports other iPad accessories, such as the iPad Dock Connector to VGA Adapter and the iPad Camera Connection Kit.

Lady Arwen

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
Ohio
I did go to the apple site. I just didn't know that a dock wasn't the only way to charge/sync the iPad, because I guess the iPad comes with a cable that does that.

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
I did go to the apple site. I just didn't know that a dock wasn't the only way to charge/sync the iPad, because I guess the iPad comes with a cable that does that.

Also from the Apple iPad site here.

Charging via power adapter or USB to computer system

In The Box
* iPad
* Dock Connector to USB Cable
* 10W USB Power Adapter
* Documentation

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
Nah, with any iDevice, it's a little confusion what the Docks actually are for. Some iPods require you to charge via USB since they do not have an AC adapter included (one is optional), and many people think the Dock comes with one (they don't).

All the Docks do is provide a nice place to put your iPad and provide that lovely line-level out (which is starting to be less necessary thanks to AirPlay). I'd recommend instead going for something like the Twelve South Compass, Belkin FlipBlade, or Griffin Wave stand, since you can use it with your Dock Connector <-> USB cable that came with your iPad and choose an orientation.

With these, it really depends on what case you'd like to use with your iPad, and how much you want to spend. The Apple Dock does not allow the use of a case (except for a few exceptions that have cutouts) and only allows for portrait orientation.

Lady Arwen

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
Ohio
Thanks, eschwarz. I don't think I'm going to get a dock since it doesn't seem to have any "value" other than holding my iPad up. Which I don't really need to do. In fact, I think I'm going to wait on all my accesories (except a basic sleeve) to see what I'll make the most use of. Do you think keyboards will sell out, and if so, for how long?

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
Do you think keyboards will sell out, and if so, for how long?
No, they are not going to sell out. The Apple bluetooth keyboard is not specific to the iPad. Apple has been selling it for a long time. This also means there are no iPad specific keys on it either.

There are a lot of iPad keyboard options. Kensington, Sena and Brookstone all offer cases with keyboards, which can be removed from the case. Note that these cases are the 'rubbery' kind, i.e., they are not like the keyboards on laptops and they do not have a Shift key on the right side of the keyboard. They are all bluetooth and have iPad specific keys while the Apple BT keyboard does not.

Clamcase and Crux360 offer cases that have built in keyboards where you slide the iPad into the top and it makes the combination look like a netbook. If you do a lot of typing, these, plus the ZaggMate are what you want.

I have both the ZaggMate and the Clamcase and each have a regular QWERTY keyboard, albeit a little smaller, meaning they have a Shift key on the right side of the keyboard. Plus they are not the 'rubbery' keys, rather they feel like a regular laptop keyboard. I am not a touch typist but was surprised how often I tried to use the Right Shift key with the Sena case-keyboard. I returned it.

I only looked at cases with keyboards since I did not want to carry around yet another piece of hardware plus I wanted a keyboard with iPad specific keys, e.g., Home.

However, all of these cases are for the iPad 1 NOT the iPad 2.

Lady Arwen

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
Ohio
Wow. The Zaggmate is pretty nifty. I hate rubbery keys, so it is pretty appealing to me. I still am leaning toward the bluetooth keyboard, especially after using my Dad's keyboard.

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
Wow. The Zaggmate is pretty nifty. I hate rubbery keys, so it is pretty appealing to me. I still am leaning toward the bluetooth keyboard, especially after using my Dad's keyboard.

I have an Apple BT keyboard, too, and like it because it's like my iMac keyboard. However, it's another piece of hardware to carry and you need something to prop up the iPad when using it. Yes, you can buy a case to do this, but why not buy one thing that does both, e.g., ZaggMate, Clamcase?

Lady Arwen

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
Ohio
I have an Apple BT keyboard, too, and like it because it's like my iMac keyboard. However, it's another piece of hardware to carry and you need something to prop up the iPad when using it. Yes, you can buy a case to do this, but why not buy one thing that does both, e.g., ZaggMate, Clamcase?

Well, I want a case that completely covers my iPad, and ZaggMate doesn't do that (the back is open). The Clamcase is out of my budget. I like the look and feel of the Apple BT because I am used to typing on a mac. For simple cost limitations, the Apple BT + sleeve makes most economic sense. Thanks again for your help and advice. Since I'll probably not buy for another couple weeks, I still have time to consider the ZaggMath + Sleeve, though.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

I saw one of those keyboards built into a case, and my gut reaction was, ewwwwww, netbook! The keyboard looked really cramped and hard to type on. While it's true that having to carry a separate keyboard and a stand for propping up the iPad makes it two extra things to carry, I personally would prefer carrying the separate keyboard, because I don't think I can physically type on those tiny keys! YMMV, of course.

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
I saw one of those keyboards built into a case, and my gut reaction was, ewwwwww, netbook! The keyboard looked really cramped and hard to type on. While it's true that having to carry a separate keyboard and a stand for propping up the iPad makes it two extra things to carry, I personally would prefer carrying the separate keyboard, because I don't think I can physically type on those tiny keys! YMMV, of course.

The sizes are as follows (where the keys are, not the overall size of the device);

Apple BT keyboard is 10.6" x 4"
ZaggMate and Clamcase keyboards are 9.3" x 3.6"

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
I think your best bet is to check out what cases are out there for your particular iPad (are you getting a 2 or a first-generation one?). As for the keyboard, I wholeheartedly recommend the Apple one despite the lack of "iPad keys" (really you just lose out on a home button on the keyboard, a search button, a picture frame button, and a lock/unlock button). While this may be a bit annoying to have to reach near the screen to go home, I haven't found it to be that much of an issue anyway. As an added bonus, you can use the keyboard with a Mac, iPhone 4, or future iPad.

Many of these iPad-specific keyboards may be good, but they certainly are not as future-proof (future-resistant?) as the keyboard/case combos. To be honest, I use the keyboard with my iPad when I'm at the bar in my kitchen or at my coffee table, but anywhere else (even when I'm lounging on the couch), I use the on-screen keyboard. Once you get used to it, it works pretty well.

As for cases, that decision is entirely up to you, although it kinda depends on what model you're going to get. Original iPad cases have been pretty well-evaluated (I've tested a few - full disclosure) :), but the iPad 2 still remains an unknown aside from the Smart Covers from Apple. In that situation, if you're not sold on the Smart Covers, a sleeve case may be the way to go. The iPad is pretty resilient on its own, but a case will be good for protecting the glass and the daily bumps and scrapes.

beentomb

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2011
As to say of now, Apple has not given any information about the iPad since the Keynote, and nowhere did it say that it needs to be docked to a computer first. Apple Geniuses are not aware of how to fix or support peoples problems. It is that horrible thing Apple does just not to re-veil any info on their new products.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.