iPad iPad & Ethernet cable

Discussion in 'iPad' started by zoran, May 20, 2013.

1. macrumors 68000

Is wireless internet connection the only way to go with iPad? Or is there someway to connect the Ethernet cable to it? Why? Don't ask why :D

2. macrumors G5

Macman45

You can use Goodreader / Dropbox etc to connect your Ipad to other devices on your network.

Goodreader is my own personal choice. Very reliable, kept up to date, and works smoothly and quickly over my network.

3. macrumors regular

Yes only wifi no Ethernet cable it won't work.

4. thread starter macrumors 68000

There is also a MacMini in the house in case i can make an internet connection through it... is it possible? I just hate the idea of changing the ModemRouter i already have.

5. macrumors 68020

Just buy a new router. Enjoy your iPad with wireless goodness.

6. macrumors member

7. macrumors G5

Consultant

Yes, you can turn on Internet Sharing (make sure to set password) in your Mini.

8. macrumors 68020

Kissaragi

9. thread starter macrumors 68000

Are there any down sides to this?

10. macrumors G4

Night Spring

Your mini has to be on for your iPad to have an Internet connection. If you leave your mini on all the time anyway, then no, I don't see any downsides.

11. thread starter macrumors 68000

might there be some other way other than having the mini to do the internet sharing connection? some other hardware perhaps?

12. macrumors G4

Night Spring

Yes. A wireless router. :D

If you want, you can keep your current modem/router and add the wireless router as an extension to your network.

13. thread starter macrumors 68000

I just have wireless, in fact i hate any kind of wireless connection and waves, anything i cant see or touch gives me the creeps! I was wondering if there could be some device simpler than a modem/router to do the job, with at least less wireless range just to be safer!

14. macrumors G4

Night Spring

Sorry, no. The whole point of tablets is portability, and it won't be very portable if it had a cable connection. And a wireless router is a very simple device, and some, like Apple's Airport Express, are quite small, about the size of a large power connector. I don't think it gets any simpler than that.

15. macrumors 68030

Seriously?

16. thread starter macrumors 68000

17. macrumors G5

Consultant

There're all kinds of "invisible" things around you:
    Cellular signals
    Other people's wifi
    TV signals
    Satellite broadcasts
    Magnetic fields from the earth
    Cosmic radiation
    etc.

18. macrumors 6502a

paulbennett95

Examples of waves in your immediate vicinity right now:
    Light
    Sound
    Subatomic particles (quantum mechanics :D )
    Heat emitting from your body
    Radio waves being broadcasted
    Cellular radio waves
    AND MORE

You better get your tin foil hat on now or you'll be doomed! :rolleyes:

On a more serious note, you can use a Mac as a wireless hotspot if it's connected to a source of internet, I'd suggest password protecting it however. That'll allow you to tether your iPad to your computer for internet access.

Good luck.

19. macrumors 6502a

spyguy10709

That's just...........................
    NO.

Sun exposure for about an hour gives you more radiation than you could get in a lifetime of a wifi router being strapped to your head.

20. macrumors 65816

MrWillie

I have an old Dlink pocket router/AP/client device. I take it wherever I go. I was going to link it's replacement, but here is something even better that I think I am going to try out.

http://www.dlink.com/us/en/home-solutions/connect/routers/dir-505-shareport-mobile-companion

Everybody's different. Embrace it, don't mock it. Listen to other's thoughts and views. No need for mockery. I bet there is a thing or two about you that others might find 'different'.

21. macrumors 68000

Outrigger

you have a lot more to worry about if you just afraid of some wifi waves. like radiation, microwave....etc. if you're this paranoid, you're better off moving to the mountains. (not that you'll escape radiation or microwave and such..etc)

22. Powerbooky, May 23, 2013
    Last edited: May 23, 2013

macrumors regular

Powerbooky

Yes, a MacMini is able to share through wifi... BUT... the encryption is limited to WEP and therefore considered unsafe. The radiated wifi power is fixed. If you could add an Airport Express (or some other good wifi accesspoints), you have the option to reduce the radiated wifi power (aka reducing its range) in the configuration. You can also use the 5GHz wifi option; studies show that signals at these frequencies hardly penetrate the body at all, if that is what you're worried about.

23. macrumors 68030

Uhhh, since when? Just looked at it on my MBP, and WPA2 is my only option for security. Which version of OS X are you using?

24. macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Troll. Then breathing gives you the creeps since you can't see air.

- Typing on your keyboard (either physical or touchscreen) emit sound waves
    - Cooking food (or being near hot food) emits radiation
    - Sun emits radiation
    - Computer display (like the one you're looking at right now) emits radiation
    - Anything you hear is sound waves
    - Anything you see is light waves
    - Anything you feel/touch is waves, vibrations are waves

Waves are in everyone's lives. You cannot escape waves. If you're using your 5 senses, you are using waves. Including taste.

25. macrumors 6502a

paulbennett95

I kind of agree with the troll accusation.
    Makes a very odd and baseless claim on a thread, gets a large reaction and stops responding.

And besides, I'd be more worried about the fluoride in the water and the aluminum oxide in the clouds :rolleyes: