iPad Grabs 89% of Worldwide, 97% of U.S. Tablet Web Traffic

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 23, 2011.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

comScore today released a new report detailing its new metric for tracking web traffic by device and connection type. According to the data, Apple's iPad was responsible for 89% of worldwide tablet traffic in May, continuing to dominate the market it defined last year.
    Calculations on comScore's data for share of non-computer traffic in the United States peg the iPad at a nearly 97% share, with Android taking nearly all of the rest of the market.

[​IMG]

In the U.S., comScore finds that 53% of non-computer device traffic comes from Apple devices: 23.5% from iPhone, 21.8% from iPad, and 7.8% from iPod touch. Android follows in second place with over 36% of the market, nearly all from smartphones. comScore's report finds an interestingly wide variation in traffic patterns among countries, with Canada seemingly leading the way in iOS adoption, where Apple's platform is responsible for 83% of the non-computer device traffic.

iPad competitors, most of them based on Android, are continuing to flood the tablet market, but none have yet been able to break Apple's stranglehold. Upcoming high-profile tablet entries include HP next week and Amazon reportedly within the next few months.

Article Link: iPad Grabs 89% of Worldwide, 97% of U.S. Tablet Web Traffic

2. macrumors regular

It would be 100%

if the iPad only had flash.
    (sarcasm)

3. macrumors 6502a

3N16MA

It only takes one look at the competition to realize this is not surprising. Asus Eee Pad has been the only Android tablet with any type of success.

4. macrumors G4

*LTD*

What we're seeing here is an iPod situation developing. The "tablet market" is rapidly turning into the "iPad market." Given the expected sales figures that'll be out in a couple of weeks, it'll be a big iPad market that keeps getting bigger.

If Apple's rivals don't move fast they'll be trapped in the smartphone segment.

5. macrumors G4

Small White Car

Amazing. This is where you start to see the difference between some companies' claims of 'shipped' vs. 'actually sold.'

There's no real way to get all those actual numbers, but this is the closest you can get to a good guess.

6. macrumors 6502

Wow, even I am surprised by these statistics. I love my iPad, but surely someone can compete, can't they???:eek:

7. macrumors 68000

8. macrumors newbie

The reason is because it was the first out on the world market! :p :)

9. macrumors 6502

reactions

Nice but watch next year it will drop to 65% according to my research

10. macrumors G4

*LTD*

The first step to competing effectively is putting out a refined, polished product. That hasn't really happened yet. Then you get to the OS issues, which need to be refined even further.

While the competition is experimenting all over the place, Apple releases complete product, ready to go.

11. macrumors 6502

antmarobel

Brazil ( WITH NO APPLE STORES SO FAR!!:mad: ) is "appling" more and more each day.:p

12. macrumors G5

nagromme

Apple has the only complete platform for the foreseeable future. (We can imagine how others might catch up someday, but it’s a huge barrier—especially given iPad’s massive tablet-optimized app selection, and soon iOS 5/iCloud.) They have huge mindshare and are marketing actively, including their store network. They make a great product that people love and give great word-of-mouth to. They can’t be undercut meaningfully on price, leaving little incentive for anyone to settle for less. And among those who DO own other tablets, the incentive to use the thing and generate activity is less, because the device does less and does it less easily. Worst of all: the competition is hardware and software jammed together by different companies, and their “bullet point” marketing isn’t working because bullet lists don’t equal the experience delivered.

That’s a recipe for dominating web traffic!

13. macrumors 6502a

3N16MA

You're hired! New analyst position! Only requirement was that you can throw out predictions and random numbers. I look forward to seeing articles based on your mad ramblings about the future featured on MacRumors.

14. macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

So, I read it that despite other tablets being out there, they aren't used... because they suck.

15. macrumors regular

ArchaicRevival

I work with Verizon now, and I've played around with the Galaxy Tab, the Xoom and the Playbook... And I have to say it... Apple got it right... They always do.

16. macrumors G4

Small White Car

Maybe. My guess is that units that "shipped" are still sitting on store shelves.

It's probably a bit of both, we'd have to guess to know which is the stronger factor.

17. macrumors 68000

NebulaClash

I believe it. When you are out and about, do you see lots of iPhones and lots of Android phones and lots of non-smart phones? Yes.

When you are out and about, do you see iPads and . . . no other tablets? That's my experience.

18. macrumors 6502a

ranReloaded

Looking at the Smartphone browsing percentages...

I don't know about Spain or Argentina, but here in Japan the iPhone is only available in the second-tier carrier: Softbank Mobile.

There's a whole lot of people who stay at NTT DoCoMo for many reasons (it has top coverage/signal, it's more established as a brand, it's kind of 'premium', etc.) and are forced into Android. They're definitely NOT your stereotype "cheapskate, doesn't buy apps, doesn't use data" android user. Apple is really losing an opportunity here. We're talking about what until not too long ago was the second economy of the world.

Some people even have two phones (iPhone for the pleasure, DoCoMo feature/android as safety), but not too many.

Besides, Softbank does sell android handsets; It's not like they swore loyalty to Apple in exchange for exclusivity or something.

The other major carrier (KDDI) is CDMA, but that isn't an obstacle now, right?

19. macrumors 6502a

igazza

thats awesome, but wait 12 months and see what happens. :D

20. macrumors 6502a

ranReloaded

Then how come all we hear about is Galaxy Pad this Galaxy Pad that? :confused:

21. macrumors 65816

Yup. The demand is for iPads. There was never any significant demand for 'computing tablets' in general so other companies are trying to hijack the hype and redirect the demand for iPads towards their devices.

22. macrumors G5

Consultant

Of course. None of the other knockoffs are selling, because the true price is not hidden by carrier subsidy.

23. macrumors 6502a

ranReloaded

...and soon a factory :)

24. macrumors 6502a

Not at all surprising.

You have the Droids which seem to have a new flavor each month which advertise awesome specs like the Tegra chip and lots of ram. You know, things that tablet consumers could really care less about...
    The incomplete Playbook without a native email client... Not to mention its tiny
    And the yet to be released TouchPad which has awesome integration with the Pre, which no one is using...
    Is Microsoft even alive? I actually like their idea for a touch based "tile" UI, except that it comes with battery sucking Windows 8 attached...

Yeah, not at all surprising.

25. macrumors 68000

NebulaClash

:)

The funny thing is that is precisely what people were saying 12 months ago. 2011 was supposed to be the year the iPad got competition and dropped down to about 65% of the market. Oh well, I suppose if people keep saying "just wait 12 months" eventually . . . a lot of time will have been wasted waiting.