Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
Yup. The demand is for iPads. There was never any significant demand for 'computing tablets' in general so other companies are trying to hijack the hype and redirect the demand for iPads towards their devices.

That really is a good point. For ten years Microsoft partnered with hardware vendors to sell tablets, and for ten years they never could get the general public interested in tablets.

The iPad comes along and suddenly everyone wants an iPad, but the same dimwits that thought they could sell tablets before now suddenly think the general public finally wants what they are selling. They don't. They want iPads.

This may change eventually, but to get an iPad user to switch, you have to make something a) better and/or b) cheaper with c) a better ecosystem. Good luck with that.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
That really is a good point. For ten years Microsoft partnered with hardware vendors to sell tablets, and for ten years they never could get the general public interested in tablets.

The iPad comes along and suddenly everyone wants an iPad, but the same dimwits that thought they could sell tablets before now suddenly think the general public finally wants what they are selling. They don't. They want iPads.

This may change eventually, but to get an iPad user to switch, you have to make something a) better and/or b) cheaper with c) a better ecosystem. Good luck with that.

Apropos . . .

http://allthingsd.com/20110620/consumers-dont-want-tablets-they-want-ipads/

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
I think it might be a better-than-iPod situation for Apple. Not only did Apple build the best selling tablet, but the price point is SPOT ON that no other competitor was able to compete.

Apple did not have that with iPod. Yes it is the number one MP3 player, but some competitors, such as Creative, managed to get a respectable piece of the market based on price. No one is able to do that in tablet market, unless Amazon has something planned...

reactions

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009
Sacramento
You're hired! New analyst position! Only requirement was that you can throw out predictions and random numbers. I look forward to seeing articles based on your mad ramblings about the future featured on MacRumors.

And here lies the irony of my post ! Please feel to thumb down it though as I did myself.

I was being fictitious gents; I know as much as you guys do including anaylists

That's nothing !

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis

I am just going to continue avoiding this tablet plague. Not that the propaganda is bad enough.

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008
Although wonderful news, it's not much to brag about when you're (or have been since the market opened) the only kid on the block. iPad competitors started when?...a few months ago?

Let's see January 2012 when more Tablets are out and after the big holiday spending spree. :)

M-O

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
for anyone interested in totals:
60.81% iOS
17.6% Android
21.59% Other

AAPLaday

Aug 6, 2008
Manchester UK
I am just going to continue avoiding this tablet plague. Not that the propaganda is bad enough.

I had an iPad for a few months. Its a cool device. Good for surfing and general use. In doses. After 20 mins or so i was hankering to get back on my iMac so i could go back to typing at normal speed and also view my Twitter/facebook feed, while listening to iTunes/Spotify, edit a photo in GIMP and manage multiple apps.

I just found that it slowed me down if i tried to use more than one app at once or type more than a few sentences.

RawBert

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2010
North Hollywood, CA
If it's a choice between iPad and a knockoff and both are priced about the same, most people will choose iPad. Regardless of the specs or Flash.
The competition would have to come down on price by a lot and still maintain those high specs they promote so much. The profit margin would be razor thin and that's IF they sell.

So the iPad will remain KING for a long while.

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
You know, it is living proof that the market out there doesn't think the same way as many posters here. Who would have guessed this when the iPad was announced last year? Apple laughs last... and hardest it seems.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
At some point it might become unavoidable.
When someone decides to shove one into my hands for free, sure. I will just have another internet device sitting around the house gathering dust. It feels like reckless consumerism to spend my hard earned money on it otherwise.

Thankfully, I do not have to watch that many commercials anymore.

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
I think the Galaxy Tab went on sale last fall, so we're talking about close to a year of sales, including last year's Christmas spending spree.

And if you don't like tablets of any kind, you are going to hate the next decade. The post-PC era has begun.

reactions

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009
Sacramento
You're hired! New analyst position! Only requirement was that you can throw out predictions and random numbers. I look forward to seeing articles based on your mad ramblings about the future featured on MacRumors.

Can we stop saying "post pc era" because its an obnoxious buzz word

Plus tablets are still relatively small in sales versus pcs

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
:)

The funny thing is that is precisely what people were saying 12 months ago. 2011 was supposed to be the year the iPad got competition and dropped down to about 65% of the market. Oh well, I suppose if people keep saying "just wait 12 months" eventually . . . a lot of time will have been wasted waiting.

Hey, there's always next year.

It's the motto of our Toronto Maple Leafs, where mediocrity is served for breakfast, lunch, and playoffs.

It's particularly fitting here.

canucksfan88

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
this isn't surprising at all...

- Apple was basically first into the market
- They had first mover advantage into the market
- The prestigious Apple Brand

I would have been surprised if Apple didn't have this large of a market share.

ESPN

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011
I doubt other tablets will ever catch up. Apple has pioneered the tablet market and even now other companies are still releasing tablets.

This is similar to PC vs Mac

PC had a booming start and look now, 90% are PC users. the other 10% are "other" users.

As long as Apple continues to update ipad, like windows 95, 98 , ME, xp, vista , 7 from microsoft, we shouldn't be surprised over such a large part of the marketshare.

Carouser

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2010
Although wonderful news, it's not much to brag about when you're (or have been since the market opened) the only kid on the block. iPad competitors started when?...a few months ago?

Actually, every company in the world had just as much time as Apple. Apple deserves kudos for having the foresight, taking the risk, and putting the product together when they did. It's not like someone told Samsung 'you are not allowed to develop a tablet product until Apple has a head start'. Nobody said 'ok now the market is open and you are allowed to make tablets'.

Apropos . . .[link]

There are a few options for Apple's competitors:
1) convince people to not buy an iPad outright
2) try to make a directly competing product (similar price/spec/intent)
3) compete on price (lower) or spec (higher)
4) make something else to take people's disposable $500. This could be anything. A better laptop. A toaster. I don't care.
5) make something else to take a fraction of people's disposable $500. This will inhibit iPad purchases as it will limit the disposable money consumers have available.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
this isn't surprising at all...

- Apple was basically first into the market
- They had first mover advantage into the market
- The prestigious Apple Brand

I would have been surprised if Apple didn't have this large of a market share.

You missed "great hardware" and "great software", and "complete and cohesive ecosystem that isn't a big cluster****."

Otherwise, you nailed it.

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
Can we stop saying "post pc era" because its an obnoxious buzz word

Plus tablets are still relatively small in sales versus pcs

I'm sorry you view it as merely a buzz word. It's an accurate reflection of what is happening to technology, and more importantly what is going to happen in the future. My prediction is that by 2020 the majority of consumer computer purchases will be in a tablet form. I'm being conservative.

Every time we hit a new wave, the existing users of the previous wave's technology feel the way you do about the next wave. It never matters, the new wave is always bigger than the previous one as it brings in new users. This is going to be an interesting decade.

ESPN

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011
I think the Galaxy Tab went on sale last fall, so we're talking about close to a year of sales, including last year's Christmas spending spree.

And if you don't like tablets of any kind, you are going to hate the next decade. The post-PC era has begun.

Seriously? you think that ipads and Macs can take over Windows,

Most people don't even used tablets and tablets are regarded as an overpriced, unnecessary item.

Windows market has been stabilized for quite a number of years now, if Macs can barely cut in to Windows monopoly, you expect tablets to dominate, your logic is seriously flawed.

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
When someone decides to shove one into my hands for free, sure. I will just have another internet device sitting around the house gathering dust. It feels like reckless consumerism to spend my hard earned money on it otherwise.

I just don't get the consumerism of cellular phones when I can use my phone cheaply at home. It feels like reckless consumerism to spend my hard earned money on it otherwise.

P-Worm

-=XX=-Nephilim

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2009
Only way for iPad is the way down.

Apple stands no chance with such crippled product in the long run :)

You can watch its fall from this Autumn onwards...

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Actually, every company in the world had just as much time as Apple. Apple deserves kudos for having the foresight, taking the risk, and putting the product together when they did. It's not like someone told Samsung 'you are not allowed to develop a tablet product until Apple has a head start'. Nobody said 'ok now the market is open and you are allowed to make tablets'.

There are a few options for Apple's competitors:
1) convince people to not buy an iPad outright
2) try to make a directly competing product (similar price/spec/intent)
3) compete on price (lower) or spec (higher)
4) make something else to take people's disposable $500. This could be anything. A better laptop. A toaster. I don't care.
5) make something else to take a fraction of people's disposable $500. This will inhibit iPad purchases as it will limit the disposable money consumers have available.

1) Good luck. Will they tell consumers it causes cancer and kills puppies?
2) This is happening now and it isn't working
3) This might have some chance. But make the product any cheaper and the consumer will possibly end up with junk.
4) This doesn't make any sense. There are HDTVs for the $800 I spent on my iPad. We're moving toward tablets. You either want one or you don't. Other products have nothing to do with it unless they're viable iPad replacements. See #2.
5) This makes even less sense than #4.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I just don't get the consumerism of cellular phones when I can use my phone cheaply at home. It feels like reckless consumerism to spend my hard earned money on it otherwise.

P-Worm
Are you me?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.