iPad Guest Accounts

Discussion in 'iPad' started by WhySoSerious, Apr 23, 2012.

?

Should the iPad allow for Guests to log-in?

1. Yes

25 vote(s)
    56.8%
  2. No

19 vote(s)
    43.2%
  1. macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

iOS 6 needs to include an option to allow guests to log into the iPad and only see apps that the owner has allowed to be visable. This is one of the most impactful things Apple could bring to a software update.

2. macrumors 6502a

Doubtful. Considering how you can already implement restrictions on Apps and services on the iPad through the basic settings, it seems redundant for iOS 6 to make a separate workaround for it.

3. thread starter macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

you can't put restrictions on every app and how annoying it would be to have to go into settings>restrictions>check apps/uncheck apps every time you use your ipad.

when you wake your ipad, it should just have a profile pic (2 or 3 or 4) and you just tap your profile and then enter your 4 digit code....bam, it loads your apps.

4. macrumors newbie

you're absolutely right! This is why I hate apple! I only got this stupid iPad cause of work. This is my main problem that you can't have different user profiles. @pelicanflip, I'm almost certain we arent talking about the same thing. Those restrictions are futile at best! And I refuse to jailbrake

5. macrumors 6502a

Ah, but then apple wouldn't be able to sell as many. :p

In all seriousness, that'd be a pretty awesome addition, although I wouldn't have much need of it.

6. macrumors 68000

spiderman0616

I don't want guest profiles or multi profiles. My iPad is my iPad. HOWEVER, for the rare time that my wife needs to borrow it, it would help to have a profile on there with her Facebook/Twitter/email settings on it.

In the long run, I'd much rather get her her own iPad.

7. macrumors 603

nfl46

Lol. That was my idea as well.

But yes, guest profiles would be awesome. I bet most wouldn't even expect that in iOS 6.

It would be helpful when we let our kids, wife, etc. use our iPad. Not every family can afford an iPad for everyone in the house. Some use a family iPad.

8. macrumors 604

ZBoater

I already have some pretty strong restrictions with my iPad. I don't let anyone but me use it.... :cool:

9. macrumors 6502a

I think it's a great idea. Then my kids couldn't customize (i.e. screw with) my settings. BTW, it's impossible to keep them off of it when I set it down somewhere in the house...:rolleyes:

10. macrumors 604

ZBoater

A passcode maybe? :confused:

:D

11. macrumors demi-god

Maskusee

Great idea, but I believe Apple wants for each member of the family I have their own....

12. macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

Maybe not a full fledged user profile system, but why not "guest mode"? They already do something similar with OS X that gives the guest access to Safari.

I'd love to be able to let friends and family use my iPad without worrying about them getting curious or accidentally clicking my bookmarks, history, etc. Lock it down to Safari and let em have at it.

13. macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

I would love this option!

14. macrumors 68000

BJMRamage

I would LOVE this and see a setup similar to Facebook, logged in it is "always yours" log out and you have an option for different profiles.

BUT, I cannot see Apple doing this as they would "sell less" though I could see them selling a bit more if people like my parents could use mine more without fear of screwing it up...then say i REALLY do likes this...I need one now!

Right now i think they are still afraid to really try it out.