Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swy05

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 9, 2008
Anyone running into this issue?

I let the ipad finally drain and started charging it today. After about 3 hours, the icon shows that it's fully charged (the plug symbol instead of the lightning bolt) but, it's only at 96%. I tried unplugging and then plugging it back in and it showed the lightning bolt for a second but, it went back to showing fully charged at only 96%.

Battery defect?

Friscohoya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Oaktown

I let the ipad finally drain and started charging it today. After about 3 hours, the icon shows that it's fully charged (the plug symbol instead of the lightning bolt) but, it's only at 96%. I tried unplugging and then plugging it back in and it showed the lightning bolt for a second but, it went back to showing fully charged at only 96%.

Battery defect?

Oh no?!:eek:

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle

Battery defect?

On the MacBook line, if the battery percentage is above 95% and you plug it in, it won't charge. It will only charge when the level falls below 95%. So let it drop a bit and then it will probably charge. It behaves this way to protect the battery from being charged all the time. Otherwise what would happen is the iPad would be charged to 100% and then stop charging, and then the battery would drain a little bit (as batteries do), and then as soon as it hits 99% it would start charging again. This is bad for batteries.

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
Mine did his the other day. It's back to normal now tho.. It happened when I ran the battery real low and was recharging also.
It might just have something to do with "breaking in" the battery.. Who knows..

I wouldn't worry unless it keeps happening.

mrbofus

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
Relax this is SOP for mine. Just leave it plugged in and it will soon hit 100%.

But I think the point is that it shouldn't be standard operating procedure; Apple says the battery icon will show the plug when it is fully charged. 96% isn't fully charged, so it shouldn't be showing the battery with the plug.

jdong

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2008
But I think the point is that it shouldn't be standard operating procedure; Apple says the battery icon will show the plug when it is fully charged. 96% isn't fully charged, so it shouldn't be showing the battery with the plug.

Starting from 96% or so, the battery is for all intents and purposes trickle-charging. Sitting there with it charging from 96% to 100% for 2-3 hours barely increases the amount of charge as much as charging for 5 minutes when the battery is at 20%. That is what Apple was trying to indicate at 96%.

mrbofus

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
Starting from 96% or so, the battery is for all intents and purposes trickle-charging. Sitting there with it charging from 96% to 100% for 2-3 hours barely increases the amount of charge as much as charging for 5 minutes when the battery is at 20%. That is what Apple was trying to indicate at 96%.

I couldn't find this documented anywhere by Apple; and if this were true, wouldn't it consistently show the plug icon as soon as it hits 96%? Except it doesn't consistently do that.

tastychicken

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2008
This has happened to me as well, but it showed fully charged at 93%. Just let leave it plugged in and it will hit 100%.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.