Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
Then start using a case once you notice a rash. Or use one anyway because it'll otherwise keep slipping out of your hands due to its tapered edges. This is a real non-issue.

Depends on the amount of nickel released by the device. If it is above the law mandated limit, they are in deep trouble.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Would you say this about the aluminum unibody HTC One?

Indeed, I am not biased towards any brand or material.
I work with many metals all day for years. I mostly work with high speed steels and a lot of tungsten carbide.
Our company makes many products from high medical grade stainless steels and a lot of Titanium.

Its rare we make anything from Aluminium, it's a weak and soft metal for our needs, we may just use it to hold something or stop something else from being damaged and let the soft aluminium take the damage and not the item we are working on.

Aluminium is great when you want something soft that will distort easily.

Again, I've nothing against Plastics, they are clean, can be very high quality, be colored really well, light, strong and very impact resistant, clue is why they make cases from plastic to protect an iProduct :)

I thought Nokia had it nailed a few years ago. Make a item with like a metal skeleton, and then have plastic cases that can be firmly clipped on and off both faces. You never had to worry about damage as a new front and back case made it as good as new, and allowed customers to customize/personalize their products.

Think about what a dull gray world Apple offers for the most part.

Would it not be great for people with iPhone and iPads to be able to have bright versions if they wanted. Be so much more fun.

fourthtunz

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2002
Maine
Watch out, those genetically-modified-food-eating kids become the Apple engineers of tomorrow. Most countries don't even birth the type of companies such as Apple.

Apple was birthed before GMO's were mainstream.
Dumb insects will not eat the corn that has roundup in it's seed but
dumb humans will!
:eek:

bpcookson

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
MA
Interesting, while I have never seen anyone using an iPad without a case or similar type of protection.

Seriously? I bought a smart cover but hardly ever use it. I don't understand how someone who appreciates nice things can stand to put their iDevices in big honking cases (or even slim cases; those are honestly just as bad).

I do understand why you might put a case on your iDevice if your kid uses it... but this isn't the case here if the kid is getting a rash from touching the iPad, so obviously I'm not the only person who isn't using cases.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
you clearly don't get out much then. No one I know uses a iPad case... iPhone cases... lots.

On the contrary, I'm out more than I should: Restaurants, Malls, Starbuck's, Beach, Airports, other people's homes, etc. I'm yet to see a naked iPad in use, specially by children.

----------

I have a Smart Cover on my iPad, and the bare metal is quite often in contact with my skin. In fact, that seems to be the norm in my experience - full-body cases exist, but don't seem necessary or generally used hereabouts.

Is there nickel in MacBook aluminum housings? If so, is it subject to the same irritations?

In any case, glad I apparently don't have any sensitivity to nickel, at least not in the concentrations of the iPad back casing.

I use the SmartCase, to prevent scratching it. Also, I take it with me everywhere I go, as I use it for work. I would imagine for home use only, a case may not be necessary in some cases.

Well, the fact is that just a small group of people may be allergic, and the same could happen with Silver, Copper, Bronze, even honey and peanuts, etc.

If someone is allergic, the right thing to do would be to use a case.

----------

I've never used a case on any of my iPads.

One and counting...

I take mine everywhere, so a case is a must have to keep it protected.
Also the lid provides a nice angle when typing and also serves to keep it vertically to watch videos.

iMule

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2009
Greenville, SC
I have a terrible nickel allergy. I have to coat all metal on my clothing with finger nail polish or I'll break out on contact. As bad as it is and how sensitive my skin is, I've never once been affected by any Apple product.

Swytch

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2006
How do we know he had such an allergy? The thing with allergies is they pop up unexpectedly, he could have been fine one day and the next, the rashes started breaking out.

ok, so then is it news every time a kid discovers he is allergic to something he didnt know he was? original posters point is still valid...

Rash or allergic reaction has nothing to do with Apple and should not affect their choice of material - the kid could have just as easily developed an allergy to absolutely any material it was made out of, this is not News.

My Wife is allergic to 99% of things - she is even allergic to common household dust... Do i need to report to the local news every time she has a reaction to something so they can report on the manufacturers poor choice of material?

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
I have a terrible nickel allergy. I have to coat all metal on my clothing with finger nail polish or I'll break out on contact. As bad as it is and how sensitive my skin is, I've never once been affected by any Apple product.

To be fair, you probably aren't like a sweaty little kid holding an iPad on your bare lap for hours. I assume...

goonie4life9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2010
Really? I don't realize Apple was around before modern farming (which formalized selective breeding, aka GMO). Just teasing ya!

Apple was birthed before GMO's were mainstream.
Dumb insects will not eat the corn that has roundup in it's seed but
dumb humans will!
:eek:

Swytch

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2006
No, he became allergic to it, especially considering the gradual worsening. There was no indications in the paper that he was allergic to nickel prior to using the iPad.

I also got nickel allergy from my 1. generation iPad.

except it is not the iPad that gave you an allergy, it was nickel - nickel is in lots of things (including money - did everyone foget this?), so it is near impossible to attribute your sudden development of a nickel allergy solely to the iPad - and even if it is, it is not Apple's fault or responsibility and they certainly do not owe you anything... ANYTHING they could have chosen to make the iPad out of could have caused an allergic reaction in people because you can be allergic to any material.

Now if you want to ban Nickel in general - or maybe sue Nickel producers- that would be more appropriate, but good luck with that. And you would also need to consider banning all materials used ot make anything and all products for that matter.

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
That must be some heavy nickel allergy. It's not like the iPad casing is made of 50 % Nickel or something (I heard of people having a reaction from nickel plated rings or other jewellery after wearing those for a longer time. And that is like days of wearing and 100% nickel). I'd estimate there's 1% nickel in that alloy tops, but likely less.

No, jewelry is NOT 100% nickel. Probably about the same amount as an iPad. It only takes a tiny bit to cause a reaction and it takes a while for the nickel ions to migrate to the surface. I wore my current watch quite a few times over a week or two before it finally started to make my wrist break out in itchy, weeping hives. Once the nickel is on the surface, I have to do something to it to make it wearable.

BTW- I have good luck wearing earrings with french hooks ok because the metal is very small and isn't pressed tight to my ear like a normal post earring. It's prolonged, constant contact with the skin that matters.

deviant

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2007
you clearly don't get out much then. No one I know uses a iPad case... iPhone cases... lots.

funny, never saw an ipad "in the wild" without a case. the screen is too big and you have to protect it when you put it in the bag or whatever. plus it's too slippery and it's MUCH more comfortable having the case, like microfiber (ipad1 original case) or leather (the new ipad air case is awesome). iphones, on the other hand, are fine without the case. but i use one, it's easier to hold it with the case (iphone 4s)

Eriamjh1138@DAN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
BFE, MI
What a bunch of jerks.

Using an iPad without a case is bliss.you should try it. You don't have to have one to enjoy it. It's more durable than you think. It's not a museum piece. It's technology that is obsolete every two years.

There is no "issue" with the nickel. Some might be allergic. They'll learn... Maybe the hard way. A case is a solution. No one is suing. If they did, they'd lose or get a free case. There is no nickel-gate, etc.

babaroga73

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2014
I said it then, i'll say it again - Jeesuuss Christ with those first world problems !! From giving a ipad to a kid for several hours a day, to his allergy, to not using a cover, to making a news of it. I don't have anything smart to say about this, just hopes that he and his parents don't ever realize the world we all live in. (That being said, i have a slight allergy to metal on my hands, so I learned not to hold keys for hour in my hand...didn't make it to bewspaper, though)

Last edited:

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
Not true. The body can become allergic.

You clearly have no idea how allergies work. You can be born with them, grow out of them, and have new ones develop at any time of your life.

Actually I probably have a much better understanding than either of you. But I will say if you'd like a more precise answer it is this:

Your genetic predisposition towards sensitivity to certain objects is already set at birth. We know that environment does play a role. But all the scientists can confirm so far is increased exposure leads to increased symptoms.

I have not seen ANY conclusive evidence to suggest that exposure to an allergen "causes" new sensitivity. Some allergy scientists say that new sensitivities can be "unmasked" by exposure but are careful to not say "caused by." We know that allergies can come and go but we actually have no idea why.

In relationship to this story I would argue it is wrong to say that you became allergic to nickel because of the iPad. But we do know that reported nickel allergies are on the rise simply because exposure is increasing.

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA

No, that would be GMOs and bread ingredients. Nickel allergy is a real issue that can be factually demonstrated.

----------

I said it then, i'll say it again - Jeesuuss Christ with those first world problems !! From giving a ipad to a kid for several hours a day, to his allergy, to not using a cover, to making a news of it. I don't have anything smart to say about this, just hopes that he and his parents don't ever realize the world we all live in. (That being said, i have a slight allergy to metal on my hands, so I learned not to hold keys for hour in my hand...didn't make it to bewspaper, though)

I would say the expectations for keys are a little different than something that is LIKELY to be placed on a lap and used for an extended period of time.

It is convenient and cheap to use nickel, not a requirement, so there's no real reason for it to be there where it can cause problems.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
The article is written like just because he's allergic to nickel that there's something wrong with the iPads.

That's some CNN level stuff there. :rolleyes:

And making out like its dozens of kids. And missing the 'increased use'

For all we know it's the fact that he is using it for hours and hours every day that was a major factor in the issue

SHirsch999

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
Years ago, when I used to wear a watch, I had the same problem. I developed a rash where the metal back of the watch touched my skin. A doctor told me it was an allergy to the metal. He told me to apply clear nail polish to the metal back of the watch. I did this, and the rash went away. Of course that was about 20 years ago and I don't use a watch anymore. I'm not sure you'd want to apply a coat of nail polish to the back of an iPad, but covering it with something, like a case, will also do the trick.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
iPad Implicated in Pediatric Rashes Diagnosed as Nickel Allergies

I would thing that the newer iPads that are anodized would protect allergic persons from any nickel underneath.

Thus probably was one of the older iPads?

Nickel has useful properties in metal alloys. I don't expect the whole world to abonden nickel when it is not life threatening but an annoyance and measures can be made to reduce long term exposure. Like a case. Or anodization.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.