Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

liquidsuns

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2009
So I have a few questions that I don't know if anyone can actually answer at this point, but I'm wondering what you ideas on it are.

When there are two different version of the same app, one for iPhone and one for iPad, will we have to purchase it twice? Take for example NOVA, they mentioned an iPad version for it. So if I've already purchased it for the iPhone, will I have to repurchase the iPad-specific version? If so, that sucks that we will have to choose which device we want certain apps on or have to purchase it twice.

Also, related to that question; will the two apps sync info together? I'm assuming if are using just the scaled up iPhone version on the iPad that they will sync, but what if you are using the device-specific apps, will they sync info together then?

And that example is just saved games and high scores. What about apps like Momento (a journal app)? Will that sync info between device-specific app versions?

And even if they do, will we have to keep syncing each device through a mac every time we want to sync the info?

I'm just concerned that my iPhone and iPad will be in competition with each other, ie. Will I buy this app for the iPhone or the iPad?

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
Developers will have a choice of either selling a universal version of their app that runs on both the iPhone/iPad, or selling two different apps- one for each device. In either case, each device gets a customized version of the app so universal apps don't mean that you're stuck with running an iPhone app on the iPad.

At the moment it is up to developers to sync their data between the iPad and iPhone versions of an app. It can be done directly over WiFi without needing a Mac in the middle (but it's up to the developer to decide how exactly this works). It's possible that Apple will make this easier/more automated in future versions of iPhone OS and/or iTunes.

frozencarbonite

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2006
This is gonna suck unless they create an iPad category. I really don't want to have to sift through iPad apps to find the iPhone apps.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
This is a very good thread because I have the exact same questions. I wanna know if my info. from my iPhone Apps are gonna transfer over seemlessly to the iPad.

liquidsuns

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2009
This is gonna suck unless they create an iPad category. I really don't want to have to sift through iPad apps to find the iPhone apps.

Do you mean an iPad-specific category in the App Store? Cause I'm pretty sure they said there would be one during the keynote.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.