Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
Was watching a presentation last week and the guy was walking around the room running his slides from his Mini, holding the pad. All it took was an Apple TV and Airport into his VGA projector. The key was setting the pad to Mirror with a right swipe....no outside WiFi needed.....worked perfectly...

Cptnodegard

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2013
You don't even need the Airport if you have a device that has wifi hotspot functionality. Been wanting to go this route myself, but it's a bit too complicated for the price

Last edited:

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
Now you say VGA projector... How would you use anything other than VGA on the AppleTV?

glen e

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
You don't even need the Airport if you have a device that has wifi hotspot functionality. Been wanting to go this route myself, but it's a bit too complicated for the price

I have hotspot on my phone but don't want the data usage for 8 -9 hours while I present. The airport is free.

----------

Now you say VGA projector... How would you use anything other than VGA on the AppleTV?

Apple TV is HDMI out...I'll let you figure out the rest....

Cptnodegard

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2013
I have hotspot on my phone but don't want the data usage for 8 -9 hours while I present. The airport is free.

You only use data if you access the web while tethered. Otherwise it's a local connection. There's also a jailbreak app that allows you to connect to a WiFi network while also sharing that connection over wifi.

Apple TV has HDMI, so it's actually VGA that's more difficult to get on it. You do that with something like
http://www.kanexlive.com/atvpro

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
You only use data if you access the web while tethered. Otherwise it's a local connection. There's also a jailbreak app that allows you to connect to a WiFi network while also sharing that connection over wifi.

Apple TV has HDMI, so it's actually VGA that's more difficult to get on it. You do that with something like
http://www.kanexlive.com/atvpro

Of course that's what I meant. How to get VGA connected

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.