Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
They will update the iPad Air or 9.7 inch model because it's the more mainstream version of the 2. A 12 inch is quite huge and I would think a bit large for travel. Plus price wise $499 for the basic model is quite a lot of money for some people and then increasing it to $599 at least for the pro would lose sales overall.

Its not $599 though is it. Its sell old iPad put that towards the cost. Apple knows this.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
I would buy an iPad Air 3 to replace my Air 2 if it came with and A9X chip. I wouldn't buy a iPad Pro for A9X, it's just too big for my needs. If I need a screen that big, I'll go ahead and get a rMBP.
Even if the iPad Air 3 only gets an A9, it has to be a better chip than the A8X in both CPU and GPU. How much remains to be seen, but I don't expect there to be a huge difference.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Even if the iPad Air 3 only gets an A9, it has to be a better chip than the A8X in both CPU and GPU.

I agree, but it's not enough for me to upgrade for an Air2 to an Air3. I wouldn't even consider it without at least an A9X (which isn't likely for this upgrade cycle). As already said, a 12"ish model isn't worth it to me. The Air2 is a perfect fit.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
I agree, but it's not enough for me to upgrade for an Air2 to an Air3. I wouldn't even consider it without at least an A9X (which isn't likely for this upgrade cycle). As already said, a 12"ish model isn't worth it to me. The Air2 is a perfect fit.
Well said, and I would bet that most people who own an iPad Air 2 think the same way you do. It's perfectly reasonable to not upgrade, especially if the performance improvements are not major and there are no must-have features added. iPad Air owners, on the other hand, are much more likely to be tempted.

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
I would buy an iPad Air 3 to replace my Air 2 if it came with and A9X chip. I wouldn't buy a iPad Pro for A9X, it's just too big for my needs. If I need a screen that big, I'll go ahead and get a rMBP.

I don't really see how you could say that without knowing what the A9 and A9X will be like. Sure, I get your idea, that the A9 would be a small upgrade from the A8X, but bear in mind that :apple: are on a two year cycle, where they do a small chip upgrade and a major upgrade, and the A9 will be one of the latter, so the A9 could be a reasonable upgrades from the A8X.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I don't really see how you could say that without knowing what the A9 and A9X will be like. Sure, I get your idea, that the A9 would be a small upgrade from the A8X, but bear in mind that :apple: are on a two year cycle, where they do a small chip upgrade and a major upgrade, and the A9 will be one of the latter, so the A9 could be a reasonable upgrades from the A8X.

What's not to see? It's my personal choice. I prefer the polished final version of a product rather than the initial release regardless. I'm not dissing the A9, I just don't buy on the first cycle of a new chip (or device).

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
What's not to see? It's my personal choice. I prefer the polished final version of a product rather than the initial release regardless. I'm not dissing the A9, I just don't buy on the first cycle of a new chip (or device).

Fair enough. I'm not dissing your choice, I was just hinting that the A9 could exceed expectations. I see what you mean though.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Its not $599 though is it. Its sell old iPad put that towards the cost. Apple knows this.

Logic says it will be.

IPhone 6 $199
IPhone 6 plus $299
IPad mini 3 $399
IPad Air 2 $499
The alleged iPad Pro $599

See fits right into their pricing schemes for the iPad mini and Air lineup. I would bet you it would be $599

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010

Not really if you own a iPad Air 2. It will be a three core cpu and 2GB of ram. I don't see a major enough of an upgrade for the iPad Air 3 to be worthwhile. It will for an iPhone and mini should they upgrade it

Donka

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Scotland
would you be satisfied with these specs ?

- anti-reflective laminated display with better color gamut
- thinner (6.1mm), lighter design
- the A8 chip with 1GB RAM
- 8MP camera + slo-mo 120fps video
- improved FaceTime camera
- 802.11ac Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.1

Any new iPad model needs to ship with 2gb ram to allow the iPad as a platform to grow. I'll skip this one if it only had 1gb.

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
would you be satisfied with these specs ?

- anti-reflective laminated display with better color gamut
- thinner (6.1mm), lighter design
- the A8 chip with 1GB RAM
- 8MP iSight camera + slo-mo 120fps video
- improved FaceTime camera
- 802.11ac Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.1

Why would that happen?
So according to you, the Mini 4 would not only have none of this year's tech, but it will be behind the last generation iPad?
And by the way, better colour gamut probably isn't going to happen, as it is a battery killer (I think), and the Mini has a tiny battery so it needs the extra battery life.

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
the A8X chip with 2GB RAM used in the iPad Air 2 has two separate RAM modules outside the package, mini's logic board can't handle that.

the 14nm A9 chip with 2GB RAM will be used in their flagship products this fall, Tim Cook won't allow lower-margin iPad mini 4 to have the same SoC as the 2x more expensive 6s Plus.

The A7 had two revisions, the normal one used on the iPhone 5S and iPad Mini 2, and then one with a heat spreader, external RAM and slightly higher clocked on the Air. Why can't the A8X be the same?
And although I don't think that the Mini 4 will have the A9, there is absolutely no reason for :apple: to worry about the iPad Mini cannibalising iPhone sales. And Tim Cook, who may I remind you is one of 100,000 employees of :apple:, allowed the Mini 2 to have the same SoC as the 5S, and was that damaged?

better color gamut has no impact on battery life. The current mini has the same color gamut as the iPad 2 from 2011, what a shame.

It also has far more power efficient internals.

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
I have the Air 2 and I don't expect to update it this time around. I do think I will get a Mini 4. I'll use the larger Air for home use and the mini 4 for travel. Probably will get the mini in cellular and a data plan for travel reasons.

littelsquidge

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2015
UK
I don't think Apple like to confuse their product lines too much. So can't imagine them cherry picking some features from the Air 2 and some from a potential Air 3. I think the mini 4 will either be a shrunk Air 2 or a shrunk Air 3.

For those guessing the price-point of a potential iPad Pro in relation to the surface line... since when have Apple price-matched Microsoft?

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Any new iPad model needs to ship with 2gb ram to allow the iPad as a platform to grow. I'll skip this one if it only had 1gb.

Considering the Air 2 has 2GB they wouldn't regress back to 1GB. I will almost guarantee any new upgraded tablets that Apple makes will have at least 2GB of RAM and a three core cpu.

Reactions: crjackson2134

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Why would that happen?
So according to you, the Mini 4 would not only have none of this year's tech, but it will be behind the last generation iPad?
And by the way, better colour gamut probably isn't going to happen, as it is a battery killer (I think), and the Mini has a tiny battery so it needs the extra battery life.

Eh they could. Probably the same reason why they didn't upgrade the specs on the mini 3.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
The A7 had two revisions, the normal one used on the iPhone 5S and iPad Mini 2, and then one with a heat spreader, external RAM and slightly higher clocked on the Air. Why can't the A8X be the same?
And although I don't think that the Mini 4 will have the A9, there is absolutely no reason for :apple: to worry about the iPad Mini cannibalising iPhone sales. And Tim Cook, who may I remind you is one of 100,000 employees of :apple:, allowed the Mini 2 to have the same SoC as the 5S, and was that damaged?

It also has far more power efficient internals.

The mini 3 says tells you why Apple might be worried.

Me when I was looking at an iPad in 2013 I was considering both the mini 2 and Air but decided between the 64GB Air and 128GB mini 2. I decided I rather have bigger screen but others might of saved $100 and get the smaller one

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
I don't think Apple like to confuse their product lines too much. So can't imagine them cherry picking some features from the Air 2 and some from a potential Air 3. I think the mini 4 will either be a shrunk Air 2 or a shrunk Air 3.

For those guessing the price-point of a potential iPad Pro in relation to the surface line... since when have Apple price-matched Microsoft?

They will have to. The surface pro 3 is an amazing tablet for productivity which I guess what the pro is trying to go after. At $799 I'll get a baseline surface. A baseline pro at $899 or higher I'll pass

littelsquidge

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2015
UK
They will have to. The surface pro 3 is an amazing tablet for productivity which I guess what the pro is trying to go after. At $799 I'll get a baseline surface. A baseline pro at $899 or higher I'll pass

You could be (and for the sake of my wallet, I hope that you are) right. However, I think Apple historically:

- haven't produced devices that are directly comparable to Microsoft.
- have assumed that most people who are considering buying an apple device aren't really all that cost conscious or they are already invested in the Apple ecosystem.
- rightly or wrongly, they believe that the hardware carries a premium from having being developed in tandem with their software.
- see Apple as a premium brand.

Until we know full details of the larger iPad, it's difficult to know how comparable they will be to the Surface Line. Either we'll see a 'Plus' with the same price jump over Air's as the Air's are over the Mini's. Or if the larger iPad is a real beast that warrants the 'Pro' moniker, a double jump:

Mini 4 - $399, Air 3 - $499, Plus - $599
Or
Mini 4 - $399, Air 3 - $499, Pro - $699

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Mark my words...if/when a Pro is announced, it will cost probably close to $1000.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.