Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

A Hebrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Minnesota
Nice review. I am still considering a mini when it gets retina....it all depends if it supports all full size ipad apps that a released since I have over 300 USD in iPad apps.

rsnapeuk

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2011
The fact that Apple doesn't include a retina display in the iPad Mini is absolutely disgusting.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
"Sales of Google’s (GOOG) low-cost Nexus 7 tablet have reportedly topped Apple’s (AAPL) iPad over the holiday season in Japan. Nikkei cites market research firm BCN in reporting that a survey of 2,400 stores across Japan suggests that Google’s 7-inch tablet accounted for 44.4% of all tablet sales by large electronics vendors in the region. Despite the launch of the iPad mini, sales of Apple tablets were said to account for 40.1% of all tablet sales over the period. It is unclear if Apple stores were included in the firm’s poll."
http://bgr.com/2013/01/17/nexus-7-sales-japan-ipad-294036/

There are plenty of glowingly positive prognostications for Apple as well, but I think these two articles are the canaries in the coalmine. My guess? Apple will do what it did to computers and move us on to the next thing, leaving the Android and Windows folks to fight over scraps in a dying market. I am wondering what is next, because right now, my iPad completes me :)
these numbers are based on a survey and do not include return rates which are high for android.

Bokes

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2008
Although I would choose the full size iPad for my needs, a lot of people neither want nor need a larger screen. For example, if they use it for emails and ebooks, then why 9.7"? Something smaller might fit more easily into a purse or a coat pocket (besides being lighter). If the iPad Mini gets a Retina display, I fully expect there to be huge demand for it (even more than now). The full size iPad will continue to do well, and I will continue to want the larger size, but I think if people could choose between two retina devices, they'll probably go for the medium size iPod (small = Touch, medium = Mini, and large = iPad).

I'm going on the mini not getting the retina anytime soon. If it does- then yeah I suppose a retina mini would appeal to more. Still, IMO- for reading- comics, magazines, etc- the 9.7 is a perfect size. Enjoy.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
these numbers are based on a survey and do not include return rates which are high for android.
Yes. There is a lot to question in the numbers, but I think the trend is apparent.

I'm going on the mini not getting the retina anytime soon. If it does- then yeah I suppose a retina mini would appeal to more. Still, IMO- for reading- comics, magazines, etc- the 9.7 is a perfect size. Enjoy.
Yep. Academic journals for me, so very little chance I will be picking up an iPad Mini anytime soon. Still, I will give it a shot when the Retina version shows up. If I can read OK on it, then I'll consider downsizing.

KTF

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2010
New York City
Great Review
to be honest I Was against the Mini No Just for the Screen resolution More For The Old Tech And Little Be Price But We Bougth One For Our 3 Year Old + Boy Now Everything Change Is Amazing So Comfortable That Make You Forget Bout Retina Display Now When He Try To Play Games In My 4s He said My iphone Is To Small ha! He So Happy That Is Priceless!

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
Outstanding review. I had the mini for a little over a month and I really enjoyed it. I decided to return it and wait for the mini 2 thinking it will have a retina display. After using the mini for so long the iPad 3 can be a bit of pain to lug around now. Whenever I use it I think to myself man I wish I still had that mini. It’s funny because I had always considered the size and weight of the 3 to be just fine but using the mini spoiled me. If the iPad 5 is lighter and thinner it will be a tough choice but I think a mini with retina will be hard to beat. The size of it seems perfect to me.

Terrified

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2010
The more Apple makes the iPad mini desirable at $329 it actually hurts the 9.7" iPad. If the next mini matches spec for spec of it's bigger brother at $329 who in their right mind would pay $170 for 1.8 inches?
I'm almost positive that the mini will not have the same resolution as iPad 4. Either the mini 2 will have the same display or it's going to be a different resolution below the current retina spec or it's going to cost more than $329. Don't get you hopes up for a 2048x1536 iPad mini for $329. Apple should have stayed king of the 10" iPad because there's no winning in the 7-8" category with competition under cutting Apple by $100. The 8" Samsung Note will have more features and will be cheaper.

See, I'm not convinced on this argument.

The Mini isn't aimed at the same market. Although it's more expensive, Apple are attempting to lure people away from the cheaper/smaller Android tablets, most specifically the Nexus 7.

People who would have bought an N7 were never likely to buy a full size iPad - they were looking to drop $199/£159 on a tablet. $499/£399 was either out of their reach, or an amount they'd never choose to spend on such a product.

Without a Mini, their decision is made - if it's $199 on an N7, or $499 on an iPad, they'll go N7, and Apple will never see a cent.

However, with a Mini on the market, it's suddenly not so clear cut - for a little over $100/£100 more, they can buy an iPad Mini. It's no longer $199 vs $499 - it's $199 vs $329, and Apple's brand awareness means there'll definitely be sway towards the latter.

This way, Apple win - they get a sale they would never have gotten otherwise, and bring another customer into the iTunes/App Store ecosystem.

srkmish

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2013
See, I'm not convinced on this argument.

The Mini isn't aimed at the same market. Although it's more expensive, Apple are attempting to lure people away from the cheaper/smaller Android tablets, most specifically the Nexus 7.

People who would have bought an N7 were never likely to buy a full size iPad - they were looking to drop $199/£159 on a tablet. $499/£399 was either out of their reach, or an amount they'd never choose to spend on such a product.

Without a Mini, their decision is made - if it's $199 on an N7, or $499 on an iPad, they'll go N7, and Apple will never see a cent.

However, with a Mini on the market, it's suddenly not so clear cut - for a little over $100/£100 more, they can buy an iPad Mini. It's no longer $199 vs $499 - it's $199 vs $329, and Apple's brand awareness means there'll definitely be sway towards the latter.

This way, Apple win - they get a sale they would never have gotten otherwise, and bring another customer into the iTunes/App Store ecosystem.

Your suggestion may apply to most of the masses. However, there are some genuine reasons for choosing android over ios or vice versa. Android offers some features which u can not get in ios i.e. expandable memory. Why pay for a 64 gb ipad when u can insert a 64 gb micro sd card into say Galaxy Tab 2.

Ipad mini also does not belong in 7 inch category of tablets. Its a substantian 1 inch larger diagonally. However, i am saving up for buying ipad mini as the most important criteria for me was battery life. As substantiated by many over these forums, it has excellent battery life and standby time. Android unfortunately has not been able to solve the battery drainage issue. Even on standby, juice keeps leaking. Also, i have researched on battery life after say 1 or 2 years and most ipad owners have reported satisfactory battery life(70-80% of the original). The percentage is no doubt very impressive considering u have already used ur ipad more than 2 years.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
The fact that Apple doesn't include a retina display in the iPad Mini is absolutely disgusting.

You have a limited perspective if you think that qualifies as disgusting. There are far worse things that I would consider disgusting. Sure it's annoying, but calling it disgusting is laughable.

Last edited:

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009

You have no idea what you are talking about. Do you research on what it would take for Apple to be able to make an iPad mini with retina display at that price point at that time with that form factor.

Do your research before posting such "disgusting" comments.

Macuser1066

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2010
Ipurchased the iPad MINI with the idea of using in the hospital while recuperating from a total knee replacement. I had each of the predecessor iPads including the iPad 4. I was concerned about the weight of the iPads while in the hospital. I also worried about the lack of retinal display. My uses were intended to be primarily reading and maybe some games. I found that I love my MINI. I still use the iPad 4 for some uses, but frankly the weight and usability of the MINI has won me over. The only regret I have is that I went for the wifi only in an effort to save money. Next version I will get the LTE and hopefully it will be retinal! Oh yes, did I mention the amazing battery life? I am a convert to the size and function, as well.

rsnapeuk

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2011
You have no idea what you are talking about. Do you research on what it would take for Apple to be able to make an iPad mini with retina display at that price point at that time with that form factor.

Do your research before posting such "disgusting" comments.

There's no reason other than to gain further sales - they could have waited until the technology was integrated into the iPad. We all know it's achievable and is 110% likely in the iPad Mini V2.

Apple should have made the best product they can. And they gave retina technology there....

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
There's no reason other than to gain further sales - they could have waited until the technology was integrated into the iPad. We all know it's achievable and is 110% likely in the iPad Mini V2.

Apple should have made the best product they can. And they gave retina technology there....

This is where you are wrong. There are actual reasons.

So you it would be better to wait a year?

Please.

mortenandersen

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Norway
What about weight and size, with a retina screen on the iPad Mini?

For very many of us, the small (and perhaps optimal) formfactor (size and form) together with the astonishing LOW WEIGHT are the greatest advantages of the present iPad Mini.

I wonder what makes so many posters so certain that these (for many users) crucial features to day would have been possible to obtain if the iPad Mini had a so called retina screen. Think about the need for a perhaps heavy and perhaps much larger battery, among many others factors that really may complicate the product, and perhaps also indeed make it impossible to produce, given the present day's technology.

If (or when) the iPad Mini 2 comes with a retina screen, I fear that many will be chocked and NOT so interested in it, just because the ideal low weight and size of the present model will turn out not being possible...

I hope that some people with a REAL knowledge of the technical development side of these matters will comment on my thoughts about this, being a user without any such special knowledge.

rsnapeuk

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2011
For very many of us, the small (and perhaps optimal) formfactor (size and form) together with the astonishing LOW WEIGHT are the greatest advantages of the present iPad Mini.

I wonder what makes so many posters so certain that these (for many users) crucial features to day would have been possible to obtain if the iPad Mini had a so called retina screen. Think about the need for a perhaps heavy and perhaps much larger battery, among many others factors that really may complicate the product, and perhaps also indeed make it impossible to produce, given the present day's technology.

If (or when) the iPad Mini 2 comes with a retina screen, I fear that many will be chocked and NOT so interested in it, just because the ideal low weight and size of the present model will turn out not being possible...

I hope that some people with a REAL knowledge of the technical development side of these matters will comment on my thoughts about this, being a user without any such special knowledge.

It's not like the screen is the major feature in an iPad is it? ...

Just read the amount of posts on THIS forum full of Apple fans who refuse to purchase an iPad mini because it lacks retina.

mortenandersen

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Norway
Trying to make my point clearer

It's not like the screen is the major feature in an iPad is it? ...

Just read the amount of posts on THIS forum full of Apple fans who refuse to purchase an iPad mini because it lacks retina.

I think that the formfactor and very low weight are of great importance to a lot of users, both because of the portability and the easy (light) way of handling it with only one hand, for instance as an e-reader or browsing the web.

I also think that many people really overestimate - put far too much importance on - that fact that the screen is of "old age", or as some even claims to be the case: "be of an outdated technology". As a user of the regular iPad 2 for a long time, I cannot say that the screen was "so bad" or "not good enough" for my regular use of the iPad 2: mailing, browsing, reading some books, and writing a bit with Pages, using a Logitech Ultrathin BT Keyboard... Now being the user of an iPad 4 and iPhone 5, I can of course see the difference between the screens, but I will not put VERY much importance to this difference. Perhaps, for me (and many others), the low weight and very portable (and "handleable") size of the iPad Mini will turn out to be more important in my daily rutines, especially when taking the unit out of the house. In fact, perhaps this portability point will be MUCH more important, after all, because the screen is presumably more than good enough, and just the ease of taking the iPad so to speak in the pocket is extremely appealing, and important for the practicalities of my daily life. In addition, the battery time is known to be great. And that may as well change with a retina screen on the next model, or the weight will increase and make one of the Mini's advantages history.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan

I don't understand how a few grams here and there is really that big of an issue for the average person. My mother has had a kindle fire since Christmas 2011 and we recently got her an iPad 3. Not once has she complained about the weight and she has arthritis. I really don't think weight is as big of a deal as you're making it out to be. The difference in weight between the mini 1 and 2 will be negligible. I doubt many will even notice aside from what they see on paper or comparing them side to side.

BigDukeSix

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2010
34.6700N 118.1590W
Human nature just cracks me up sometimes. Everyone thought the display on the IPad was the greatest, until Retina shows up. Now everything thinks the original display is crap.

I was using an iPad 1, which did everything I needed it to do. I got a Mini for Christmas and I love it. And yes, I have seen the Retina display on my wife's iPad 3. But to me, that is not a big enough of a difference. I love the form factor and weight savings. So much nicer to use for most everything. And, when they do come out with a retina model, I am pretty sure I won't upgrade. I rarely drag out my 1 now, and when I do it feels like I am pulling a brick out of my backpack...LOL

Last edited:

rsnapeuk

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2011
I think that the formfactor and very low weight are of great importance to a lot of users, both because of the portability and the easy (light) way of handling it with only one hand, for instance as an e-reader or browsing the web.

I also think that many people really overestimate - put far too much importance on - that fact that the screen is of "old age", or as some even claims to be the case: "be of an outdated technology". As a user of the regular iPad 2 for a long time, I cannot say that the screen was "so bad" or "not good enough" for my regular use of the iPad 2: mailing, browsing, reading some books, and writing a bit with Pages, using a Logitech Ultrathin BT Keyboard... Now being the user of an iPad 4 and iPhone 5, I can of course see the difference between the screens, but I will not put VERY much importance to this difference. Perhaps, for me (and many others), the low weight and very portable (and "handleable") size of the iPad Mini will turn out to be more important in my daily rutines, especially when taking the unit out of the house. In fact, perhaps this portability point will be MUCH more important, after all, because the screen is presumably more than good enough, and just the ease of taking the iPad so to speak in the pocket is extremely appealing, and important for the practicalities of my daily life. In addition, the battery time is known to be great. And that may as well change with a retina screen on the next model, or the weight will increase and make one of the Mini's advantages history.

Having a retina screen won't add a significant amount of weight to the device. Sure it will add weight but not dramatically that it effects the user experience.

Anything other than 'retina' is outdated. Apple has invested implementing into most of its product line; iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch and most recently the Macbook Pro. Let's not pretend the original screen is in the same league as retina.

And we will obviously see a retina iPad mini this year.

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2012
Human nature just cracks me up sometimes. Everyone thought the display on the IPad was the greatest, until Retina shows up. Now everything thinks the original display is crap.

Oh, ha ha, that is so funny, I find it very amusing when human nature is on display as well!

Assuming that "everyone" thought the display on the iPad was the greatest is just plain wrong. Many of us were not very pleased with the pixelation on the first iPad and either waited until they cleaned it up, or put up with it because there wasn't really an option. In this world of HD tv, blu-ray, etc., we knew pixelation when we saw it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.