iPad mini iPad mini and splashtop

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mentaluproar, Nov 10, 2012.

1. macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

I went to see the ipad mini today and I was pretty impressed. Browsing the web, using pages, etc. It held up very well.

The only think I can think of that it would suck at would be splashtop. Has anyone actually tried using this on an ipad mini yet?

2. macrumors 6502a

Used logmein and it works fine

3. thread starter macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

4. macrumors 6502a

I did logmein as well and it's useable. You might be doing more pinching to zoom in but definitely useable.

5. Guest

Why wouldn't it be? I have splashtop on iPad 1 and iPad Mini. Not much different besides iPad mini having a smaller screen. Then again, I have splashtop running on my iPhone and 7" android tablet, which has even a smaller screen.

6. macrumors member

Totally agree... don't have my Mini yet, but I plan on using Splashtop on it and expect it to work fine...

7. macrumors 6502

Has anybody actually had any practical use with Splashtop? I think its cool, but after trying to actually do some work on it with a full sized iPad, I found hard to make a desktop (a laggy one at that) work well with a touch screen interface.

8. macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

The iPad mini's obviously smaller screen will make tapping bitmapped screen elements harder, obviously. So if this is a key usage scenario for you, you may want to reconsider the mini unless you're ok with pinch & zoom when necessary.

9. macrumors newbie

Splashtop is awesome on iPad mini

Splashtop is the best remote desktop app for iPad & iPad mini.... fastest and simplest to use

10. macrumors 6502a

It's good if the host machine is running Windows 8.

11. macrumors 6502

I played through the entirety of The Witcher 1 on splashtop on my ipad 2. Also played the easier early bits of Diablo 3, until you get up to the second difficulty when the controls aren't good enough.

Also Football Manager worked a treat on it too, albeit the interface was slightly fiddly

12. macrumors 6502

I have been using Splashtop with my iPad mini and it's definitely usable although you might have to do a little pinch to zooming that you don't have to do on the full screen iPad.

I think Splashtop is one of the most essential aps to own. Well worth the money

13. macrumors regular

bit_bucket

I use Splashtop all the time with my iPad Mini to connect to both Windows and OSX. It works great. Once you get the little nuances and gestures down, it is very usable.

14. macrumors 6502a

I use Logmein and it works fine. I'm not sure if splashtop does this, but Logmein can change the remote desktop's resolution to match the iPad's. It saves on having to pinch and zoom around so much. I use it to check in on my headless PC's that run Boinc projects 24/7. It's a nice way to keep an eye on temps, task progress, and stuff like that.

15. macrumors regular

yup splashtop is awesome!! I really havent used it much but just thr fact that i can access my desktop from anywhere is a great feature!!

16. macrumors 6502

I don't have a mini but a iPad Retina...its useless on the big screen I can't imagine the mini

17. macrumors 6502a

For me Splashtop is very effective on the iPad retina. On a smaller screen like the Mini it would need to be zoomed in