Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac00l

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Hi there!!!

Last summer I made a trip to Europe for more than a month. Long story short my (then) 3GS proved to be the single most important tool in not only that, but in all the trips I've ever done.

Previously I had make trips with BBs, Nokia's smartphones, iPod touch, etc... they were "helpful" at some extent, more as providers of limited fun, than primary factors in my trip.

The 3GS was my GPS, agenda, reminder, gaming, music , communications, translator device. Everything but my camera (3GS is really bad in that department). I had 0 issues or whatsoever.

Fast forward to today. I will make a full semester in Europe on September and I plan to make some serious and heavy traveling. The camera factor is solved with an iPhone 5. I know it is not a "true" camera, but lets be honest, most photos are only used for FB profiles, or to be sitting there in your iPhoto gallery to be shown once or twice. So it works for me.

The only department where I'm struggling now is in the multimedia. You see the iPhone has great battery, but when you are traveling for 8 hours by plane, train, car or whatever, most time you don't have outlets.

Last summer I relayed on "pocket friendly" books for trip distraction. Well, I only read 100 pages and lost all my books in trains. When used the iPhone either for music or games, upon arrival I was without or with little battery and that was problematic.

I need an iPad, know that. Besides for traveling, also seems like a nice couch companion and I'm really fond of sitting watching sports while tweeting. The small size of iPhone 5's screen is problematic for fast changing focus between TV and device and the MBP is too heavy for sitting in your lap all the time. Reading and playing some games at night and while traveling also are major reasons.

Problem is, in my last trip a friend of mine brought an iPad 2, and literally she never turned it on. Well, maybe because she's a girl and most girls only care about clothes and anything that fits in a purse and iPad 2 is in neither category (she left the iPad in our dorms). Also it was almost as troublesome to travel with as my MBP. It was not discrete neither, you can spot someone with an iPad as easily as someone with a laptop.

Bottom line is: Have you ever traveled with an iPad mini, or even an iPad?? Did they manage to provide fun while remaining relatively easy to travel with? Would you travel again with it? Were they an important part in your trip, or you could easily manage without? Also any general experience would be appreciated.

Batavian

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2011
iPad mini would be perfect for your needs. That is what I use my mini for...travel. Big ipad stays home or in the suitcase for the hotel. Get the mini with cellular and you will have GPS.

Have fun in Europe!

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
If you want to read a book and have battery issues, get an e-ink Kindle. Most of us do monthly charge cycles with them. They are really cheap too.

I carry my Mini around in my coat pocket all the time. But I wouldn't use it in a long plane journey.

Rhyalus

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2011
I travel everywhere with my ipad 4.... It slips into my laptop bag where vertical paperwork and folders go.... It takes up very little room.

Anyone that says that this is too heavy needs to get to the gym.

What you do with it only you can decide. I like it for the airplane and document reviews for work when I don't want to whip out the laptop.

R

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
I travel everywhere with my ipad 4.... It slips into my laptop bag where vertical paperwork and folders go.... It takes up very little room.

Anyone that says that this is too heavy needs to get to the gym.

What you do with it only you can decide. I like it for the airplane and document reviews for work when I don't want to whip out the laptop.

R

LOL...calm down. We assume the fellow is not only talking about the trip over there but wishes to make many non-business short excursions here and there, meaning traveling light. For me that means iPhone, earphones plus Morphie battery pack. If I have cargo pants then add a Kindle or Mini. Full ipad is too large and heavy for that, even with a saddle bag.

You wouldn't wish to meet me in a dark alley ;)

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
iPad mini cellular.

I took mine to NY and along with the SD card adapter for photo and video import to iMovie and iPhoto I had everything I needed.

The size was perfect for tossing in the glove compartment or door sill. With the Smart Cover it was easy to watch a movie on the fold down tabletop in an airline coach class seat.

The 10-12 hr battery life meant no worries at all in a full day of traveling.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
i agree with the folks saying that the Mini would be a good choice. I use public transit very often and even just with that it has been way better than a full sized ipad.

i would add the idea that perhaps you should look into getting a secondary battery like a Mophie Powerstation or similar. the iPad mini does have a great battery but if you are using it on something like a plane on an international flight then you might run down the battery and nothing would suck more than having a couple of hours on a train with no battery. Just be sure that you can recharge it when you get there by making sure you have any needed voltage and/or plug convertors. in fact I might start your search on their website to see if they have a model specify made for international travel as the charger might come with everything you need.

----------

If I have cargo pants then add a Kindle or Mini.

I live in cargo pants for work for the sole reason that I can slip my ipad mini in a pocket when I don't need it.

The other option if you aren't a cargo pants type person is a jacket or vest like the ones Scottevest makes that has pockets built in for that kind of stuff, without looking like it has them. I like that they also have places for keys, credit cards, your passport. I used to carry that stuff in a neck pouch under my shirt but a smart thief could still find a way to cut it and grab etc.

mac00l

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Thank you everyone!!!

I already ordered an iPad mini, 3-5 shipping days, wish me luck.

Why decided for it?

We went for an iPad for my sister. After playing with it for a while, it is not as comfortable as expected.With 600g you end up using it in your lap or a table, and for that matter I rather use my MBP.

The paper-white Kindle is a much more better e-reader than the iPad mini will ever be. But for the time being I need a more well rounded device. Maybe next year if the iPad mini doesn't work as a casual e-reader I'll get it.

Lastly regarding the iPad and needing more gym... I'm not the size of guy who'd scare someone, but as a former competitive swimmer I'm not in a bad shape either. It is not a matter of can or can't, it is a matter of traveling as light as possible. Because there are days were you need to be walking for 10 hours or more and those are the moments when you are cursing yourself for being carrying those 2kg of extra stuff.

That's why I don't travel with DSLRs. If I want a perfect picture of the Eiffel Tower, I only need to search it in the Internet. If you start applying the logic of traveling with the best of everything, you end up carrying more stuff than necessary.

I'm really impatient and hyperactive. Sitting in a bench, train, plane or a car without something to do, drives me crazy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.