Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Everyone here is brainwashed

How would you know? You're brainwashed, as you just said. Everything you say has a high chance of being false.

----------

I don't remember anyone saying 512mb of RAM was not enough when the first TI PowerBook came out.

That's probably because it didn't need anything more than 512MB of RAM for what it did. Speaking of that, is it just me, or is every new Photoshop version slower and heavier than the last without adding enough stuff to justify it? I bought CS6, but I might pirate CS5 or even CS3 and use that instead.

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
I just came from the bar and people were loving my mini. I said that it doesnt have retina display and they said they didnt care about that. They said the screen looked great to them and they had no use for a too big iPad even if it was a retina display screen.

Sometimes its not about the best specs and its about how the device fits into your life.

THIS ^ All this it's 2 year old display and old chipset. Other than geek freaks most do not give a damn.

Deasnutz

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011
Perhaps the mini fans/owners aren't handling all the disrespect from the forum masses.

DoctorYuyi

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2012
I don't remember anyone saying 512mb of RAM was not enough when the first TI PowerBook came out.

I like how you completely cut out my supporting point.

Chopping at someone's post just to get a point across only makes you look stupid. :D

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
I also went to a bar to ask if I should sell my imac to get the new 2012 model.... They all said they don't give damn about it. I came home crying...

Haha I went to the Bar and people wanted my iDevices so I gave it to them.

People at the bar know what's what!

AzN1337c0d3r

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2010
I don't remember anyone, not a single a person, claiming the iPad 2 had a bad display when it first came out.

That's because good and bad are relative terms. The iPad 2 had relatively equivalent PPI² in its size class when it was released compared to all other tablets.

The iPad mini on the other hand, is missing about 45% of the PPI² compared to the Nexus7/Kindle Fire HD, and even more when compared to class leader - the Nook Tablet HD.

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
That's because good and bad are relative terms. The iPad 2 had relatively equivalent PPI² in its size class when it was released compared to all other tablets.

The iPad mini on the other hand, is missing about 45% of the PPI² compared to the Nexus7/Kindle Fire HD, and even more when compared to class leader - the Nook Tablet HD.

So why don't you just buy those devices and be done with it? If PPI is the only thing that matters, it should be a no brainier decision.

mac4good84

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2012
Saw the mini at the store

Hardware wise it's brilliant. Thin, portable and easy to use. Bad news is once you turn it on....outdated processor with lower resolution....I was back to ipad 2. I can't even believe this has Siri for crying out loud.

Once this goes retina with at least an A6, it will really be the great device it is meant to be.

S

syd430

I don't remember anyone, not a single a person, claiming the iPad 2 had a bad display when it first came out.

That's because the OS was optimised for the 9.7" screen it was made for. The problem in this case is that Apple decided to shoehorn a version of ios designed for a 9.7" screen into a 7.9" screen with 35% less surface area.

A retina display would have mitigated the text rendering and screen element issues to some extent, but at the heart of the issue is the lack of optimisation of the software to match the hardware.

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
For me, the mini is the perfect size for regular use. I can easily "two thumb" type and get around the web just fine. Would it be better with a retina display? Of course, but for what is it now - and what I use it for - it is fine.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
That's because the OS was optimised for the 9.7" screen it was made for. The problem in this case is that Apple decided to shoehorn a version of ios designed for a 9.7" screen into a 7.9" screen with 35% less surface area.

A retina display would have mitigated the text rendering and screen element issues to some extent, but at the heart of the issue is the lack of optimisation of the software to match the hardware.

I do think that Apple shouldve just added the screen size that fits the mini but they were trying to keep it a secret...the problem for me is that i really only notice the not as good display is when im in safari. So maybe they need to fix safari.

----------

Hardware wise it's brilliant. Thin, portable and easy to use. Bad news is once you turn it on....outdated processor with lower resolution....I was back to ipad 2. I can't even believe this has Siri for crying out loud.

Once this goes retina with at least an A6, it will really be the great device it is meant to be.

It has siri with an outdated processor...ummm a5 was on iPhone 4s...and iPad 3... Just saying...and mini outperforms iPad 3 with outdated a5.

Last edited:

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Hahhaahhaha... Yeah, I also went to a bar with my new iphone 5 and two guys stole it from me... I will never go to a bar for advise

Who said anything about going to bars for advice. I was trying to make the point that consumers dont care about specs. They care about what works for them.

----------

So what. There are no apps optimized for alternative screen resolutions. All my apps still look good on my mini save for safari.

----------

It just sounds like the people who dont like the mini are trying to convince themselves.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005

You need to go back and review your history. Shortly after the first ipad was released, we got the retina iPhone 4 and everyone was suddenly made aware how bad the iPads screen was in comparison. When the second gen was released, the forum was filled with almost the exact same threads - people expected a retina screen but the tech was not yet ready. It was the main reason I held off from upgrading my first generation.

On the other hand, if developers have followed the guidelines, their user elements will still fall within the recommended size range. It was this that allowed a few observers to accurately estimate the Mini would have a 7.9" screen well before we had any physical evidence.

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
Typing is far too constrained, the display is bad, and so is the processor.

iPad mini is the third in line for best ipad, not first.

For me, typing is better, the display is great, and the processor is great for everything I throw at it.

Also, the battery life is fab, and the size is phenomenal. And it doesn't get hot.

FOR ME :rolleyes:

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
ipad4>ipad3>iPad mini.

From a tech standpoint anyway

I couldn't imagine going any smaller with the iPad don't know why anyone would ??

Isn't that where the phone comes in handy

zauze

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2012
For me, typing is better, the display is great, and the processor is great for everything I throw at it.

Also, the battery life is fab, and the size is phenomenal. And it doesn't get hot.

FOR ME :rolleyes:

Yeah it seemed to take me forever to drain my battery all the way after buying it. It's a real mobile device. My iPad 3 just stays by my couch.

Trat

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2010
Apart from caching extra open tabs in Safari, I fail to see what you are missing 512MB for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.