Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HDJulie

macrumors demi-goddess
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
Little Rock, AR
I have an LTE iPad Mini 4 that I carry with me. At work, we don't get a good LTE signal so I have my iPhone connected to our guest wireless network. It does not require a password. I noticed that the Mini was also on the wireless even though I didn't remember connecting it. So I told the Mini to forget the network. A little later, I notice it is on the wireless again. I thought that if I told it to forget the network it would no longer be considered a known network & would not join without asking (I have Ask to Join Networks on). Is this not the case?

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
If you have iCloud Keychain sync then because your iPhone is using the network it will be telling the iPad that the work wifi is a known network and to use it.

Mascots

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
Unfortunately, unlike OS X, I don't think theres a way to prevent certain iOS devices that have sync'd networks not to join a selective one of them.

Apple tried to make your life easier by adding in shared wireless hotspots as described by Marshall. If you don't want your iPad Mini on the wireless hotspot, turn wireless off for that specific device. Apple had things in mind such as if you bring your Mac to a Starbucks that you've already connected to on your phone, it will automatically join the hotspot so it's one less thing you have to worry about.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Apple tried to make your life easier by adding in shared wireless hotspots as described by Marshall. If you don't want your iPad Mini on the wireless hotspot, turn wireless off for that specific device. Apple had things in mind such as if you bring your Mac to a Starbucks that you've already connected to on your phone, it will automatically join the hotspot so it's one less thing you have to worry about.
Still, some fairly straightforward related options related to it all could certainly be provided either.

Last edited:

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
I realized the same thing a few months back. Several people directed me to the keynotes where Apple talked about it. Sometimes it convenient other time not so.

Mascots

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
I read that you may be able to create a custom provisioning profile to prevent a device from connecting to a network.

Seems kind of roundabout, but makes it a possibility.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.