iPad Mini Launch Attracting Shorter Lines on Launch Day

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 2, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Reuters reports that the early lines for Apple's new iPad mini seem to be shorter than for previous product launches. They note that about 50 people waited at the Apple Store in Sydney, Australia and about 100 or more outside Apple Stores in Tokyo and Seoul. Reuters notes that in the past, the line at the Sydney store "stretched for several blocks" for iPhone launches.

[​IMG]
    Amsterdam Apple Store / Image by Floris Looijesteijn
    Lines were certainly forming in several locations such as Amsterdam (above), as well as Munich and Florida, though the Covent Garden Apple Store reportedly attracted very few customers this morning. The line to Apple's flagship 5th Avenue store also started forming quite late, though launch enthusiasm in New York was certainly tempered due to the devastating effect of Hurricane Sandy on the city earlier this week.

The iPad Mini was available for pre-order starting last week and persisted in availability throughout last weekend. Apple is also launching the 4th Generation iPad today. Both products should be available at retail stores starting at 8am this morning. Of note, the LTE / Cellular enabled version of the iPad Mini will not be available until Mid-November. Only the Wi-Fi version is available today.

Article Link: iPad Mini Launch Attracting Shorter Lines on Launch Day

2. macrumors 603

nfl46

Some probably want to check it out in person before buying it.

3. macrumors regular

4. macrumors regular

mrbunglez

I guess you can say the lines were "mini"? Heheehehe

5. macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Perhaps most already have their iPads, and the mini is aimed at consumers who are less likely to camp out for days for a product? That was kinda the feeling I got

6. macrumors regular

leon44

Hardly surprising given it's not really a flagship product, it's like queueing for the new iPod touch

7. macrumors newbie

This.

8. macrumors newbie

The line in Hong Kong is indeed short, because you have to win a lottery of "online reserve" to have the right to queue up there.

9. macrumors 6502

Menopause

I have every flagship product Apple has produced, but I would never buy a non-Retina iPad mini. Since iPhone 4 there's been no going back. There won't ever be. I'd lose my mind.

10. macrumors 6502

fpsBeaTt

I disagree; I had the pleasure of holding one today. It's an incredible design. If it had a Retina display, it would in all likelihood supplant my use for a full sized iPad.

11. macrumors 68020

I own two iPads. :)

12. Menopause, Nov 2, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2012

macrumors 6502

Menopause

Because.... Surface runs Windoze... you know, from... Microsoft! :eek:

13. macrumors newbie

20 people in line at apple store Louisville with 1 hour 20 min before open.

14. macrumors regular

iThinkIt

To funny... Was going to say the same.

15. macrumors regular

Well, what do you expect, if you put out a new revision/different moddle twice a year lines will get smaller. Had they waited till April this would be crazy. But i think it´s better like this, you can actualy just get up and buy a new iPad if you feel like it.

16. macrumors G5

Rogifan

Shorter lines compared to what? And who, besides media or stupid wall street analysts were expecting long lines at the stores? Why is this even a story? :rolleyes:

17. macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Did you camp outside to buy the new iPad mini?

18. macrumors 6502a

turtlez

I guess no retina was a bigger step back than Apple counted on

19. iWe
    macrumors regular

Well, as much as I dig the iOS it's starting to make the iPads, the iPhones and the iPod Touches pretty old and boring looking in comparison to the competition. iOS seriously needs a proper facelift to make all those iProducts look sexy and desirable again or the lines are gonna keep getting shorter and shorter. The firing of Forstall was of course a positive sign and a move that hopefully leads to a fresher and more daring take on the iOS front sooner than later.

20. macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

It'll sell very well considering. Sandy and the financial situation going on now in the north east... Christmas purchases won't happen this early and most want to see it first since its a new product.

21. macrumors 6502a

ScottishDuck

When you shaft iPad 3 owners don't expect them to return for another round so quickly.

22. macrumors 6502

23. macrumors 68000

Lancer

Went to a local Apple shop and they won't be getting their new iPad's until next week.

:lol:

24. macrumors 68020

Aluminum213

How is anyone surprised? It's a shrunken old iPad 2 with a low res screen being sold at $329

25. macrumors newbie

I can attest to this. I'm down here at the Apple store in Spokane and no one is in line.

Very different from other launches from this store.