Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Huh?

People on here are taking this way to serious. I know it's probably stolen, I was simply curious to see if it could be unlocked.....

It was probably stolen from someone who can't afford another one. That's ****ed up.

Now you're being ignorant, not naive.

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2010
I could write a script of a suspense thriller with twists from this topic.

pclawlady

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2015
So you'd be happy knowingly paying money to a criminal who (possibly violently) stole this from someone?
No Brian, she like thousands of others think Apple products are overpriced. At memory current price all products should be maxed out instead of stupid 16GB starter level. Just looking for a deal!

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
I'm curious... so if my iPad was stolen and i locked it, once i have it back or if its taken to apple do they ship it back.. how do you unlock - just asking. Not planning a crime..

BittenApple

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2008
I'm curious... so if my iPad was stolen and i locked it, once i have it back or if its taken to apple do they ship it back.. how do you unlock - just asking. Not planning a crime..
Back at Apple?

Apple doesn't care if you get you stuff stolen, although they do have features built in the OS in order to track it.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Is there anyway to unlock this iPad mini? Its iCloud locked and its running iOS8. Does anybody know a way around this or any third party software that can open it back up? I don't mind if everything gets erased and restored to factory settings. So that I can start from scratch. Its an iPad Mini 2 Wifi Model. Please and Thank You!

Apple added the Activation Lock to iOS 7 to combat the rampant unauthorized reselling of lost/stolen devices. There is no way around this lockout… your only options are to contact the person you bought it from and (1) get the seller to remove the device from their iCloud account, or (2) get your money back. If you bought it from an honest/legitimate seller, they’ll help you out. If you bought a stolen device from a scumbag, you are simply SOL, and you now own a pretty, albeit expensive, paperweight. You might be able to get a refund if you paid for the device with Paypal - just file a claim and see what happens. Otherwise, you are simply out of luck.

So there it is. If it's your device, use the link (https://iforgot.apple.com/password/verify/appleid) to reset the login. If you purchased the device from someone on eBay or CraigsList or a similar site, take whatever recourse you have against the seller to recover your cash.

In the future, before you buy a used iOS device make sure there is no active Activation Lock enabled that device. Just get either the serial number or IMEI and enter it here. Apple will report the status of the device.

https://www.icloud.com/activationlock/

sociallyawkward

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2017
Well I think there's a way to remove it by hardware... but it's probably extremely risky... I am trying to unlock my own but I don't have tools for it :l There's also a way to get it to glitch to the home screen for like less than a second but you would have to experiment to go forward with it.. you can do it by turning on the iPad and selection a language other than english you don't know like chinese or something and then as its setting the language you gotta force it to shut down by holding the power button and home button at the same time. The hardware method :

Last edited:

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts

If you locked it, then you know the password. When you get it back, just provide the password when required.

There are several kinds of "lock." The one being discussed here is Activation Lock. Read about it here: https://support.apple.com/HT201365

Joe7dust

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2018
Might want to report them...maybe the owner can get their iPad back.
Almost 3yrs later...

So guys surely there is a way to unlock old iPad for use on wifi or as media device now? A1489 at pawn for $60 sticker says locked.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Almost 3yrs later...

So guys surely there is a way to unlock old iPad for use on wifi or as media device now? A1489 at pawn for $60 sticker says locked.
No, there's not. As stated many times before in this thread and elsewhere, if a device for sale is locked, it's very likely stolen. Stay away.

Joe7dust

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2018
No, there's not. As stated many times before in this thread and elsewhere, if a device for sale is locked, it's very likely stolen. Stay away.

I have read the thread. With it being over about 3 years I thought it might be a good time to check in and see if there is a solution yet. So what are these used for then? Just a $60 item at pawn hoping to find a sucker that wants a paper weight? I suspect there is a way... I don't need any cloud services or official apple things, but this is a decent price for a browser/tv tablet.

In android tablet is super easy, I even have the software and knowledge necessary to do things like flash NVRAM and mod gaming consoles so whatever the solution here is I do not care how advanced it may be.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I have read the thread. With it being over about 3 years I thought it might be a good time to check in and see if there is a solution yet. So what are these used for then? Just a $60 item at pawn hoping to find a sucker that wants a paper weight? I suspect there is a way... I don't need any cloud services or official apple things, but this is a decent price for a browser/tv tablet.

People buy such items for parts. So if you have a business of repairing Apple products then you can reuse the parts from an old device.

OR

Can be used as an expensive paperweight.

In android tablet is super easy, I even have the software and knowledge necessary to do things like flash NVRAM and mod gaming consoles so whatever the solution here is I do not care how advanced it may be.

THAT is the difference between iOS and Android, when it comes to security.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.