iPad Mini Manufacturer Sees Weaker Demand for the Tablet This Quarter [Updated]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 8, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Pegatron, a contract manufacturer for Apple that makes the iPad mini and the iPhone 4S, among other products, said today that its second quarter consumer electronics revenue will drop 25 to 30 percent from the previous quarter, reports Bloomberg.

The company says there is a decline in revenue from iPad mini production is "more on demand, while price has been stable", but CEO Jason Cheng also noted that "almost every item is moving in a negative direction" for the quarter. "Not just tablets, also e-books and games consoles".

[​IMG]
    In its quarterly results report in April, Apple issued guidance for expected revenue for the June quarter of $33.5-35.5 billion, a drop in revenue of some 20 percent from the prior quarter.

Reports have indicated that mass production of the display for a Retina iPad mini should begin in June or July, for a planned release well into the third calendar quarter of 2013.

Update: Fortune reports that Pegatron CEO Jason Cheng has clarified the situation, noting that in no way did he indicate weakening iPad mini demand was responsible for the company's projected revenue decrease. The association with iPad mini demand appears to have simply been speculation by Bloomberg based on the device being responsible for a significant portion of Pegatron's consumer electronics division revenue. In an email to Fortune, Cheng wrote:
    Article Link: iPad Mini Manufacturer Sees Weaker Demand for the Tablet This Quarter [Updated]

2. macrumors 6502

because our demands lie with Mac Pros. duh.

3. macrumors member

Bloomberg

The executive does not actually say the cause is the iPad. Curiously, Bloomberg left "iPad mini" out of the specific quote attributable to the executive

Why is that?

4. macrumors 6502a

DesertEagle

It's because people want retina iPad mini.

5. macrumors 603

jrswizzle

So Apple posts guidance that show a 20% decline and analysts are surprised when the drop looks to be about 20% instead of some arbitrary 15%......

Good heavens....

6. macrumors 68030

needfx

I was going to post that exact same point

7. macrumors member

Also

Also, it would be vendor suicide for Pentagron's CEO to specifically call out Apple and falling demand. He runs the risk of Apple significantly reducing future business

I'd like to see some non-Bloomberg confirmation that the CEO actually said this. If he did do it, it calls into question his judgement in running the company

8. macrumors 601

Plutonius

Why is this news ? With all the analyst stating that a retina iPad Mini is coming out soon, why would anyone buy a Mini now ?

9. macrumors newbie

By now almost every family has a tablet, most people are upgrading instead of buying for the first time, demand is going to be less, i guess.

10. macrumors 603

ChazUK

Cannot wait for the refresh. The Mini is hands down the best tablet I've ever owned.

11. macrumors 68020

guzhogi

Could it be that people are waiting for the next iPad/iPad Mini? Also, how saturated is the market? If everyone has an iPad already and don't need the brand new gear, of course demand's going down!

12. macrumors 65816

arkmannj

If they released the retina mini today, I'd buy two without blinking an eye. I'm waiting. (and hopefully with A6)

13. macrumors G5

Rogifan

Stock has been on a nice run, time to bring it down again with misleading reporting.

14. macrumors 68000

Likely a huge pent-up demand for the retina mini, and also for the updated big model. Bet it will take awhile to get one after they are announced.

And of course the mac pro, the device Apple would pay to go away, never to be heard from again.

15. macrumors 68020

How about the reason behind this because of the expected update to the iPad mini? Durrrrrrrrr.

16. macrumors G4

Small White Car

No, I'd say it's because the demand for every Apple product starts high and then decreases until it's replaced. (Not sure why this is a story at all, actually.)

I'd expect the same exact thing will happen to the Retina iPad Mini too. When its sales start to slip a half-year after it comes out what do you think the reason for that will be? "Retina" has nothing to do with it.

17. macrumors regular

have we reached a level of temporary saturation perhaps? Perhaps momentarily high on consumerism?

18. macrumors newbie

I think it is because it is

19. macrumors 65816

Scarpad

I've immensely enjoyed my time with the mini and cannot wait for the Retina, it's the only Ipad I have an interest in, my Ipad 4 will be with me for a while to come, it does everything I need and has a fantastic screen.

20. macrumors member

pezj

Daddys ready for the two

21. macrumors G5

nagromme

Is the "planned release" of a retina Mini for real? We know of those plans in a reliable way?

Or is that just unsubstantiated claims getting reported as fact? What about the claims to the contrary... do we know those ones are false?

I smell fictions being repeated... and the repetitions being called "confirmation." The distinction between news and rumor is important--and all but forgotten.

22. macrumors 65816

Indeed. The iPad is not the only flat piece of hardware with a sheet of glass on top any more. Although I am sure there will still be people blaming TC, arguing it would not happened under SJ and Safari is all but snappier.

----------

Was posted on the internet, of course its fact ;)

23. macrumors 65816

True dat. It's time for the mini to join the rest of the retina family (MBA is next, if not this year, most definitely next year).

24. macrumors 68020

gmanist1000

Indeed. I just sold my Mini off to Gazelle to get ready for the Retina :)

Better to do it now then when the price they buy them at drops dramatically!

25. macrumors newbie

nonsense

i personally know 3-4 people that are holding out for the retina mini. this thing will sell like hot cakes!