Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

9to5Mac reports that it has received confirmation of a new set of Smart Covers launching today for Apple's "iPad mini". The accessories are described as "iPad Mini Smart Covers", all but confirming that Apple will use the "mini" designation as part of the device's official name.

dark_gray_smart_cover-500x329.jpg
Smart Cover for full-size iPad
Japanese blog Mac Otakara claimed in late August that Apple would use the long-standing "iPad mini" informal title as the official name of the device, and it appears that this is indeed the case. Others have, however, been advocating for alternative names, such as noted Apple pundit John Gruber having expressed his preference for "iPad Air".

The new iPad Mini Smart Covers are said to be available in red, dark gray, light gray, pink, green, and blue.

Article Link: 'iPad Mini' Name Confirmed by Smart Cover Part Descriptions

JanFredrikB

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2011
And as long as that information didn't come from Apple it's no credible source - and no news.

Apple has - of course - not sent this to untrusted sources.

Last edited:

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
These events are no fun! Everything leaks and we know all the details weeks in advance now. Only solution is to not log onto the Internet.

NorEaster

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2012
I wonder how many Apple fanatics today will praise how "revolutionary" and awesome the iPad mini is...and how many of those fanatics were the same ones that blasted Google and Amazon for their smaller-sized tablets.

In case the fanboys forget... I'd like to remind them that they should head over to their local department store and buy some sandpaper :)

Steve Jobs: "This size (7-inches for a tablet) isn’t sufficient to create great tablet apps in our opinion. While one could increase the resolution of the display to make up for some of the difference, it is meaningless unless your tablet also includes sandpaper, so that the user can sand down their fingers to around one quarter of their present size.

Apple has done extensive user testing on touch interfaces over many years and we really understand this stuff...These are among the reasons we think the current crop of 7-inch tablets are going to be DOA. Dead On Arrival."

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
I prefer the mini versus air. It just doesn't seem to reflect the actual nature of the device. You can have a MacBook Pro and a MacBook Air both with 13" screens what makes it the Air is the thinness and lack of an optical drive. Since the iPad mini is just a smaller version of the iPad, mini seems the right designation. Having said that, it looks like apple is going so screw up that designation with a 13" Retina MBP without an optical drive and with an SSD built in. Something is going to have to be done about the Pro-Air distinction because it is becoming quite blurry.

Allenbf

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Elsewhere, USA
I wonder how many Apple fanatics today will praise how "revolutionary" and awesome the iPad mini is...and how many of those fanatics were the same ones that blasted Google and Amazon for their smaller-sized tablets.

In case the fanboys forget... I'd like to remind them that they should head over to their local department store and buy some sandpaper :)

Steve Jobs: "This size (7-inches for a tablet) isn’t sufficient to create great tablet apps in our opinion. While one could increase the resolution of the display to make up for some of the difference, it is meaningless unless your tablet also includes sandpaper, so that the user can sand down their fingers to around one quarter of their present size.

Apple has done extensive user testing on touch interfaces over many years and we really understand this stuff...These are among the reasons we think the current crop of 7-inch tablets are going to be DOA. Dead On Arrival."

Doesn't matter, they'll sell millions and millions of these. I'm getting 2.

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
I think iPad Mini sounds better than iPad Air. Unless they go in the direction of the MBP naming, where they just have the iPad and then you choose whether you want the 8" or 10" (just rounding the numbers here).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.