Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HarryKeogh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Oh yeah, no hyperbole there. Right.

I find posts like these hilarious. So now any screen that isn't retina is like reading through Vaseline mixed with sand? Given that no apple product had a retina display until 2010, and no product but the iPhone until this year, it's a miracle any text has been read on an apple device in the company's 30+ year history up until now.

And I find posts like yours sad.

I was kidding. The fact that I have to explain that I'm kidding after what I wrote is sad. I could say, without any hyperbole whatsoever, the saddest thing ever...and I used to work in a puppy slaughter house when I was an orphan.

ChipperVW

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2005
I have a bet going with my friend that Apple will have their best holiday sales numbers EVER.

Loser bakes an apple pie for the winner.

Think I have a chance? I think I do- because of this iPad mini!

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I have a bet going with my friend that Apple will have their best holiday sales numbers EVER.

Loser bakes an apple pie for the winner.

Think I have a chance? I think I do- because of this iPad mini!

You certainly do. Soon you will see folks walking around everywhere with an iPad mini rather than a smartphone.

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
I find it amazing that for years, all we heard is about how the Mac platform was not about the specs but about usability. For instance you pay a premium for Apple products, they are easy to use, and you get a solid quality product that just works. Everyone that has ever shopped for a PC or laptop knows you can get a whole lot more spec wise for your money vs. buying Apple.

Fast forward to the iPad Mini and now we're just supposed to throw out the usability factor and focus strictly on specs, as if that is the only factor to consider when purchasing a device. That is total rubbish. The screen is but one factor and its far from being the eyesore many like to claim.

The Mini is by far, my favorite Apple product to date... and yes I do have an iPad 3 to compare it to.

My advice is to go to a store and decide for yourself. Don't get hung up on specs only. The iPad Mini isn't a major purchasing decision. If it turns out you prefer the iPad to the mini then get that one. No need to trash a product you have no use for.

Apple is to blame. Sorry but they push retina hard for what, two years,.....but now it's not supposed to matter. That's a bit silly.

JoeShades

macrumors 68000
Sep 1, 2010
Williamstown, NJ
I have an Ipad 3 or whatever it is called these days and was in best buy the other day. They have the ipad 2, 3 and mini next to each other and in my opinion the mini is the best out of all of them. The screen is better than the ipad 2 but not as good as the 3 but it is not as bad as i thought it would be after getting used to the retina display. I will be selling my 3 and getting the mini. The best thing about it is the size and weight and although i used it for a limited amount of time it seemed just as fast as the ipad 3.

alexponential

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2012
The only problem is for people who want a large tablet for mainly home use. I already have an iPhone...if I'm going to get an iPad, then I'm going to get the largest screen that they have. If you want it for traveling, reading, have the wireless data plan, then it's good. But if you want a great tablet for home I don't know why you would go smaller.

Tokes Green

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2011
Here, there, and everywhere.
The only problem is for people who want a large tablet for mainly home use. I already have an iPhone...if I'm going to get an iPad, then I'm going to get the largest screen that they have. If you want it for traveling, reading, have the wireless data plan, then it's good. But if you want a great tablet for home I don't know why you would go smaller.

For me it's all about portability, that's why I bought the mini. It's gets used at home, on the bus, reading at work, and sometimes even standing in a queue!
I agree partly with what you are saying though, if its purely for home use, you can afford to, and you don't mind the bigger and heavier form factor - then sure get the 4 (mines only being used as the communal Scrabble board atm) :)

Sakuraba

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2012
Display is a "non issue"

Got my iPad mini today. It is great, just great!

Finally, weight is not an problem when reading books! The display is just fine (for me) and I have used my wifes "New iPad" with retina display a number of times.

I went from iPad 1st gen to this, but as I said - I have used retina display many times. This (iPad Mini) display is more than acceptable - Especially considering charging is faster and it keeps going for ever! :D

Go to a shop and try it - Only die hard "retina fans" will dismiss this fine little jewel. Portability is a priority to me - and since I don't like to surf the internet on (any) smartphone(s) The iPad Mini was exactly right for me.

panda bear

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2010
I really don't know why I continue to read these threads.

If you aren't a fan of the screen, cool. If you don't like the specs, cool.

I honestly called Apple a few expletives when they announced the Mini and thought it was going to be terrible and swore that I was going to purchase the iPad 4.

Then I went into the store and held a Mini..

Guess what I have sitting here next to me right now? (Yes, a Mini)

So dramatic..

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
I don't get all the retina die hards out there. I have the ipad 3. Its fine. I like it better than the 2. But the mini is where it's at. Sure, the retina looks better, but its not worth carrying something thats starting to weigh as much as an ultrabook.

Seriously, people don't realise it yet, but the Mini is the 'hot' thing.

Do I miss the retina? ehh, slightly, but only reading super small text. Everything else looks normal. Watching movies look high def, etc. I really should place them next to each other and snap a few pics before my ipad 3 sells on ebay.

I'd go as far as to say the mini doesn't need true retina. It only needs to get half way to retina before no one would care. Just don't change the size or weight.

None the less. The people hating on the mini because its not retina are probably doing most of their work on a desktop or laptop with less pixel density than the mini. Hypocrites. Ohh well.

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI

It's just a more comfortable fit for me. I don't necessarily need the biggest screen...I can always use my MBP if I need something larger, but with the trade-off that it gets rather warm having it on my lap. What I did need was something that is comfortable to hold and use for long periods of time. I've used an iPad3, and it was heavier than what I wanted. I like my iPhone, and it's great when I'm away from home and really need internet access, but the Mini is easier to use and type on. So for some of us, the Mini is a good fit, even at home.

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
I was very skeptical at first (non-retina, no A6), but I'm glad I was able to push past that.

Using it in store made all the difference. I would have completely dismissed it otherwise.

Within two minutes, I realized this isn't bad at all. I can see myself using this a lot. Do you have one in Black 16GB?

xofruitcake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Apple is to blame. Sorry but they push retina hard for what, two years,.....but now it's not supposed to matter. That's a bit silly.

heh heh, but you want your mini cheap too.. didn't you? would you be willing to pay 400+ and 1lb+weight (instead of 0.68lb) for a mini? That is the state of the technology now..

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
I got a black mini 16GB. I love the design and the size, but the screen is really disappointing.

I decided to gift it to my Mom and Dad because they would be so happy. They love the device, but texted me why is the screen fuzzy? Needless to say they are upgrading to the iPad 4th generation.

If my parents notice it, then I really question some of the people on this forum saying how the screen isn't that bad. The screen is that bad, it just seems that some people are willing to put up because the size of the device is so nice.

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
I got a black mini 16GB. I love the design and the size, but the screen is really disappointing.

I decided to gift it to my Mom and Dad because they would be so happy. They love the device, but texted me why is the screen fuzzy? Needless to say they are upgrading to the iPad 4th generation.

If my parents notice it, then I really question some of the people on this forum saying how the screen isn't that bad. The screen is that bad, it just seems that some people are willing to put up because the size of the device is so nice.

Or maybe it's because everyone is different. Different people, different eyesight, different ways of using the device, different expectations. Some people will overlook the "fuzziness" because of the screen size. Others don't notice it, or if they do, it's really not enough to bother them. If I look at it compared to the iPad 3, then I notice a difference. Looking at it by itself, I don't notice the fuzziness under normal usage. Like I said, everyone is different.

klover

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
Owned it in person and disliked it in person.

IMO, the display is a low-resolution, pixelated mess with poor font rendering and a UI that has not been appropriately adapted to a smaller screen. Contrast, black levels, and color gamut are also below the current Apple displays.

For many, it will probably come down to making the simple decision to accept a mediocre display in order to enjoy a light, very well built device with a huge application base.

panda bear

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2010
I feel like I got a completely different device than some of you.

Fuzzy? Mediocre?

I don't care how many ppi or what the resolution is.. if i'm looking at it and it looks good.. it does not matter.

Maybe I have bad eyes.. but I just got new glasses and contacts. Plus, i'm nearsighted. Looks good with glasses and without them.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
For me personally, the mini is too big to be portable, and too small to be a "laptop replacement", which is what I view an iPad as. If I want small and portable, an iPhone 5 works great.

That being said, I do see some uses for a mini. For example, if you are a big-time book reader, this would be great, an "Apple Kindle" (the iPad can be a bit heavy after a while). I also saw some people adapting the mini to fit in the dash of a car, and it looked pretty cool.

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
I feel like I got a completely different device than some of you.

Fuzzy? Mediocre?

I don't care how many ppi or what the resolution is.. if i'm looking at it and it looks good.. it does not matter.

Maybe I have bad eyes.. but I just got new glasses and contacts. Plus, i'm nearsighted. Looks good with glasses and without them.

I feel the same as you. People have complained about fuzzy screens, bad color, etc. Mine looks great...in general usage I don't notice fuzziness, and the colors are nice and bright. If I hold it up next to an iPad3 then yes, I can see a difference, but it doesn't bother me to go back and forth between the mini and a retina device. I know some people are more sensitive to this stuff than others, but it does feel like I have a different product than the ones some people are complaining about.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I find the display goes from OK to great depending upon what I'm looking at. The browser display is probably the worst, for me, but Ok and if expanded it looks just fine. Most applications look great to me with sharp text etc. Could it be better, yes, but it if fine for me.

BayouTiger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
New Orleans
As soon as I held one for the first time. I knew as soon as the 4G arrived I would have one. I will pass my 3 to the wife and she can retire the 2 to a relative. I use it in the field and to tether my rMBP the difference in weight and size is perfect. I feel like I did giving up my 17" MBP. I though I was missing so much but the portability is sooooo worth it.

davideotape

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2012
i already upgraded to the iPad 4, and have to admit i was heavily considering getting an ipad mini with LTE to take advantage of Sprint's data plan for current customers ($15/mo for 1gig), so I did just that and went into the store to take a look.

the resolution of the screen itself is not so bad, but man oh man their font rendering for websites is HORRIBLE in regular mode, and forces you to zoom in. I wonder if this can be corrected in an iOS update? it really needs to be.

it's silly to compare the screen to a retina display because it's clearly not one, but while you're in the store, open up iBooks and play with the different fonts and compare that to reading a webpage. i can deal with iBooks and would hope Kindle/nook apps are similar to that, but website font renderings are really bad.

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
I have an Ipad 3 or whatever it is called these days and was in best buy the other day. They have the ipad 2, 3 and mini next to each other and in my opinion the mini is the best out of all of them. The screen is better than the ipad 2 but not as good as the 3 but it is not as bad as i thought it would be after getting used to the retina display. I will be selling my 3 and getting the mini. The best thing about it is the size and weight and although i used it for a limited amount of time it seemed just as fast as the ipad 3.

I think this is going to be the case for many people. Particularly those for him the richer color and contrast and added crispness are largely irrelevant.

Wooing a snapshot for example from an rx100 looks just fine on the mini. Al photos do. Showing a file shot with a full frame and edited for a 20x30 print is another ball of wax. Retina displays closer to print. For many that doesn't matter..

the screen is fine... get over it

Your opinion of it is relevant to you and your needs. Get over thinking it applies to everyone any more than a taste for chocolate or marmite.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.