Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Taiwan's United Daily News reports [Google translation] that Apple has received samples of 7.85-inch screens carrying the same 1024x768 resolution of the current iPad. The report (via Unwired View) claims that AU Optronics and LG Display have sent samples of the display to Apple, which is reportedly targeting a launch for the "iPad mini" early next year.

ipad_mini_mockup.jpg
Previous mockup of a 7-inch "iPad mini"
It is unclear how Apple and its developers would handle a considerably smaller screen for this iPad mini at the same resolution as the current iPad. While maintaining the current resolution would mean that iPad apps would display natively on the iPad mini, the interface elements would be somewhat smaller than on the iPad, a reduction that could introduce usability issues in some cases.

Steve Jobs had also famously panned 7-inch tablets from competitors, claiming that roughly 10 inches was the minimum screen size needed for a useful tablet.

Apple has been said to be interesting in fending of Amazon's new Kindle Fire tablet, which is launching next month at a $199 price point. Ticonderoga Securities analyst Brian White had noted just last week that his research among Asian suppliers is indeed pointing toward Apple releasing an "iPad mini" early next year to take on the Kindle Fire. White cautioned, however, that the "mini" moniker was in reference to the device's price rather than necessarily meaning a smaller device.
Regarding Apple, our research is pointing to the unveiling of a lower priced iPad in the first few months of 2012 that is aimed at expanding the company's market potential by tapping into a more price sensitive consumer segment. Essentially, this "iPad mini" will also fend off the recently announced Amazon Kindle Fire that addresses the low-end tablet market with a $199 price tag but could lead to bigger tablet ambitions from the online retailer in the future. The "mini" refers to a reduced price point of this iPad and not necessarily the size of the device. We believe this lower priced iPad could be priced in the mid-to-high-$200 range.
Apple is widely rumored to be preparing to introduce the iPad 3 early next year, a device which is said to carry a Retina display with 2048x1536 resolution. A smaller iPad at the lower resolution of the current iPad could enable Apple to lower entry-level price points for its tablet products if it does indeed view Amazon as a significant threat.

Article Link: 'iPad Mini' Rumors Revived with Claims of 7.85-Inch Screen

TimUSCA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2006
Aiken, SC
This. Will. Not. Happen.

There's not even any evidence here except some analyst talking out of his butt.

mbarriault

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2008
I'm not a fan of the idea of a 7" screen, though I think an iPad min/iPod maxi with dimensions that align perfectly with a trade paperback would be a hit against the Fire.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Same as the 4" iPhone rumors: Just because some people would want it does not mean Apple is going to do it.

Now, I consider a smaller iPad more likely than a 4" iPhone, but I still don't see it happening this year or next.

It may happen eventually. I'm not saying it's impossible. In fact, Apple probably DOES have a prototype of one. I'm just saying that I see no business need for them to offer one now.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Could it be that the current iPad resolution gets crammed into the 7" size via a higher density display, and the new full size model, getting its own HD display is the one that gets the bigger resolution developers have to re-render their graphics for?

Still, I don't see a 7" happening, but that's just, like, my opinion, man.

Forks

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2011
Cheltenham, UK
oh yeah like the iphone mini.... the late SJ spoke about why Apple will not make a smaller ipad.... it's just not going to happen at all

johnnielse

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2011
I don't believe it. Why would Apple not use the same iPhone-legacy model for their iPads? When the anticipated retina iPad 3 hits next year, I'm pretty sure the iPad 2 gets a lower price and stays on the market.

Wang Foolio

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2010
2048x736 would be a strange resolution for the iPad 3 :D

Anyway the idea of a smaller, cheaper Kindle Fire style alternative would be interesting. 8" 8GB A5 would probably weigh in a lot cheaper than a resolution-doubled 10" running A6.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
"fending of"??

My son would be all over this. He is begging me for a Touch or Nook, doesn't want a large tablet.

fxtech

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2008
I'm not a fan of the idea of a 7" screen, though I think an iPad min/iPod maxi with dimensions that align perfectly with a trade paperback would be a hit against the Fire.

Not if it costs $500.

----------

A $349 iPad 2 is like a $15 profit after manufacturing costs for Apple.

They could give them away. They are raking in far more on their App Store 30%.

Littleodie914

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Won't happen.

The specs of these devices are a small portion of the equation, the majority of which is dominated by the software. (Which is dominated by third-party apps.)

Adding another smaller (physically) device with the same (or similar) resolution will result in developers having to write code/design graphics for a third scale. This is what Google got wrong, and Apple has (so far) gotten right.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
A $349 iPad 2 is like a $15 profit after manufacturing costs for Apple.

The screen and memory are like 1/2 the manufacturing cost of the iPad.

A smaller panel and lower memory (base of 16GB) would drastically reduce the price.

Not to mention the prices of components falling since the last iPad manufacturing cost estimate came out.

I would guess that as there are samples being sent out - Apple is toying with the idea at this point. Seeing if they can come up with something that is profitable. Not meaning its a 100% guarantee.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.