Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
I would think preference for small vs large ipad would be driven somewhat by the type of computer one owns. If I owned a MacBook Air 11in, I would be less inclined to by a full sized ipad, since they are too close in size. I own a Mac mini, so the full sized ipad is a nice complement to the desktop. I am not saying it is a complete laptop replacement, but for much of what I do, it is more than sufficient.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
That only works to a point. If market share gets too low, sales and profits drop. Apple is still making a great profit, but the question is looking forward, how long will that last?

Just look at Apple's stock price, compared to the high of $700 it was at not that long ago.

I think you're getting too wrapped up in the market share number.

You're forgetting that Apple is still the #2 smartphone manufacturer by unit sales.

Apple may have only 20% of the smartphone market... but they can sell 45 million smartphones in 3 months (at an average price of over $600 each)

Other companies can only dream of that.

Again... Apple may sell a small amount of phones compared to the other dozen manufacturers collectively... but what they DO sell are rather expensive (and profitable) phones.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Maybe for now, but if you and Apple continue to think like that Google is going to eat Apple's lunch and than Apple is in the same situation as they were when Sculley refused to license.

Isn't Google already eating Apple's lunch?

The way you market share guys talk... it's already over for Apple.

Android has 70% smartphone market share to Apple's 20%.

But as we've seen... Apple still gets more developers, their customers are more satisfied, and they still sell the most profitable line of phones around.

I think this is the one time in history that the 2nd place team is actually in a better situation overall.

etrinh

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
I think it's still a flop in terms of moving the industry forward. And that, to me (and a lot of investors), is the big issue.

Why does Apple need investors when they have such a big cash pile? Just trying to understand markets

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
People will buy whatever is cheaper. If they have to settle for a smaller screen, they will.

Some will. Not me. If iPad was lighter and thinner then it is, with the iPad mini form factor... I would definitely go for the full sized iPad, regardless of the price. Cheaper is not always best for me.

PeterQVenkman

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2005
The mini is beautifully light and well constructed.

I have no desire for a full size iPad (or any tablet) having used a mini. none.

It makes my Nexus feel cheap and heavy. The mini is gorgeous.

Mums

Suspended
Oct 4, 2011
I LOVE my iPad Mini. I held off buying an iPad for three years because I didn't like the size or shape of iPads. But the mini feels like you're holding a precision jewel-like solid piece of the future. I'll buy the retina Mini when it comes out.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Awesome news. Now what I hope Apple does is to drop the 16GB model and replace it with the 32GB. The full size iPad is my preferred format so i'm looking forward to the 5th gen this year. If they release a retina mini i'll get one as well.

johnjefferson

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2013
Had an iPad mini, sold it after a month. Screen is garbage compared to the iPad 4 and it defaults to mobile versions of sites. My Galaxy Note 2 already does this and it's much more versatile than a mini.

sinfonye

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2010
I have to say, that in spite of my earlier statements to friends and others, I find myself reaching for the iPad Mini more than the full size iPad. For some reason I find that seriously odd...

The Mini feels cheaper, it's not as heavy, and the screen isn't the best for outside, or close in fine detail reading, yet I still find it in my hands a lot...

Now that he's created this mess, let's see him fix it...

The mess is $140 times 55m + $150 x 33m versus $150 x 60m

In other words, Apple should make an extra $4.5bn from the "mess"!

Tha Professor

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2009
The Mothership
I think Apple actually saw the post-pc revolution too optimistically, making those claims about the ideal size of a tablet. I guess the iPad mini is appealing to all those people that are around laptops all day anyway. If you forego your laptop then only the 10" inch tablet makes it up for you. Having spent your day in the office, you definitely don't want to lift so much on the couch, which explains the mini records... The small tablets are only a transition device to the infamous post pc era.

Personal story continues here, you may stop reading if you only want to read the "analysts" or "rants" kind of comments:)

For the last full year I was battling a serious sciatica pain, finally terminating it with a surgery removing the L5/S1 protuded disc last week. I have suffered the most while sitting at the office desk, but unable to fully stop working and rehabilitate. I could barely walk anymore. I am 24 y/o and lost 15 pounds in process. In the neurosurgical ward where I the hospital where I got the treatment, about half of the patients had bulged discs - so much for medical demographics...

I got the full sized iPad this autumn and had realized how much it frees me from the office desk, which causes so much back troubles in the population... So I think the post pc era is inevitable. There will be room for comfortable and big pro workstation and the rest can be done on the go in between of our lives, not shackled to the cubicle and and a computer...

On the other hand, I have to stay mostly in bed for couple of weeks now and the big iPad is actually really heavy already... So I get both sides of iPad users... However luckily we dont have to suffer through so often!:)

My all white kitten Noe doesnt like the big iPad either as he attacks it as I type this:)) thanks for reading...

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
It's worse than that. They can't even follow the live links in their stories. In December, NPD did NOT predict (wild ass guess) 60M full size/40M mini as now being claimed. From their December report (live link):

"We believe that Apple is targeting total iPad shipments of 100 million in 2013, half accounted for by the iPad mini, and 40 million new iPad and 10 million iPad 2, as production continues at least until the middle of 2013. As our Quarterly Mobile PC Shipment and Forecast Report forecasts the 2013 tablet PC market to be over 170 million, if Apple hits its targets it will continue its domination at approximately 60% market share."

And yet hardly anyone here is questioning this data. It always amazes me when these research notes or surveys come out and no one questions where the numbers come or their accuracy (whether good or bad for Apple). Apple has never provided sales figures or future sales estimates for the mini vs full size iPad so how the hell does NPD know what Apple is targeting?

Eadfrith

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2011
Lindisfarena
I still think price is probably the biggest factor in it's popularity. Many may have wanted a piece of the iPad experience but price of the full size iPad put them off.

Oflife

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2009
One reason

It's light enough to hold in one had for an extended period of time, such as reading a long article, book or doing a demo or sales presentation. The second I picked one up in the Apple Store, I decided to buy, and after waiting for one to come in, drove across country to get one at my local Apple dealer. If the iPad mini had more RAM so web pages didn't keep reloading when switching tabs, it had a stylus and wireless charging - it would be perfect.

theanonymousbob

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2013
Not surprising - the iPad mini is the perfect size for most people. I'm gonna be in the market for my first iPad fairly soon. Were it not for the fact that I plan on using it for work and the extra two inches or so will come in handy, I'd buy the mini in a heartbeat.

Optheduim

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2011
NYC
I have the 3rd gen iPad, the old lady has a mini. After playing with the mini I still think the full sized iPad is the way to go...

...the buttons are too small for my big fingers (lol), and I've noticed because of the resize that the keyboard will cover the text box in certain apps you are writing in... No bueño...

(Not to mention I have a retina screen, she does not, hahaha to her, but I'm sure the next gen will have it)

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
People will buy whatever is cheaper. If they have to settle for a smaller screen, they will.

Uh no. I had a full sized ipad and I dumped it for a mini. I never carried my ipad obese with me everywhere. I only used it at home because it took too much space in my purse. Now that I have a mini it goes with me everywhere. They only problems I have with it is that they didn't include retina. But the dislay is still decent.

The mini is also better for reading books.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Because they have not got a big enough cash pile to buy the shares back from the investors.

They cannot possibly have enough cash to buy the shares back, because shareholders each own a share of the company, including the cash. The only situation where a company could itself buy back all the shares would be if the business itself is considered to have zero value, so _all_ the value of the company is in its cash and in assets that could be sold.

An example would be Walmart selling all its stores, so they would end up with a huge pile of cash in the bank and no business anymore. In that case, they could buy back all the shares and close the company. But if Apple bought back all shares except one, and I owned that last share, that share would be worth a few hundred billion dollars (the value of Apple's business). And for every dollar Apple puts in the bank, the share would be worth one dollar more, so Apple couldn't possibly buy that last share back.

Why does Apple need investors when they have such a big cash pile? Just trying to understand markets

Apple needed investors in the 1970's. They issued shares, and the shareholders buying these shares gave their money to Apple in exchange for shares. Nowadays shareholders sell the shares they own to people willing to pay the right money for shares; Apple isn't really involved in this.

Last edited:

celavato

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2005

I don't think it's the price but rather the weight and size. It's a dream for thumb typing and using lying down, and takes up less space on a desk when used for reference materials, as a calculator, etc. The larger iPad will make a comeback when it weighs half a pound. By then the mini will weigh as much as the iPhone 5. The larger iPad is better for touch typists, which I'm not. I hope that somewhere in the depths of Apple someone is working on a better input technology for iOS than the keyboard (I don't think voice is the answer).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.