iPad mini vs iPad 2: download speed issue

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Frombtos, Jan 19, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

Jan 19, 2013
    Hey guys

Hope you can help me with my issue:)

I just got an iPad mini as a gift. I've been previously using an iPad 2 from time to time to look at youtube videos and download music within an app. Now when i use my ipad mini, the download takes much longer. I looked at the specifics of the ipad 2 and the ipad mini and they're identical. But when i do the speedtest, then ghe download speed is pretty much the same. Does someone habe an explanation why the download takes so much longer? Or is there a problem with the ipad mini?

Thanks for the help!
  2. macrumors 68030

Jun 30, 2010
    Did you update to 6.0.2? That update was for an issue with Wi-Fi. If you have, you may try taking it to an Apple Store as my iPad mini downloads things just as fast as my iPhone 5 when both are on LTE or Wi-Fi. There have been reports of people having issues with the Mini's Wi-Fi.
  3. macrumors 603

Jun 7, 2011
    BTW, the iPhone 5 (which might use the same wireless unit as the iPad Mini) running on 6.0.2 is also considerably slower than the iPad 2 / 3 when downloading via Wi-Fi.

This might be a hardware-related issue.
  4. HazyCloud, Jan 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2013

macrumors 68030

Jun 30, 2010
    I'll have to compare my iPhone 5 and iPad mini to my iPad 3. Since 6.0.2 only supports the 5 and Mini, it's safe to assume they do indeed use the same chips.

But, like I said above, if the OP continues to have concerns about the speed, taking to Apple is a good first step.

EDIT* I just downloaded Theme Park (417 MB) on my iPad 3, iPad mini and iPhone 5 all at the same time. All 3 were connected to the same AirPort Express that is wired via Ethernet.

All 3 downloads finished at the same time. The iPad mini and iPhone 5 were NOT considerably slower by any means. To insure the test was correct, I then deleted the app from all devices and reinstalled them at the same time to test it again. In the second test, I received the same results.

TL;DR - The iPad mini, iPhone 5 and iPad 3 all download at the same speed.