Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

n10797

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2011
Argh! This is such a tough decision for me.

If I got the iPad Mini it would be 32GB, Smart Cover, most likely Applecare+, and the HDMI output cable. I can definitely afford it but like most people I don't like to overspend too much.

With the Nexus 7 I'd get the 32GB and not need a cover since it's so reasonable and I'd to happy just throwing it around. Also it doesn't output HDMI which kind of sucks.

I have a PC in my room, no laptop, and a iPhone 4S.

I'll mostly be using it for browsing Reddit (I love Alien Blue btw), surfing a little, possibly reading books if I get motivated, reading PDF's for sure, not much gaming, watching some TV shows in bed, and bringing it downstairs to use while at the TV couch.

I'll also be travelling a bit back home where I have no computer and travelling elsewhere.

What to do what to do?!

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
just ordered an nexus 7 32gb cant wait.

Congrats, it's a great deal. I wish Google was still doing the $25 Google Play credit. :)

----------

If I got the iPad Mini it would be 32GB, Smart Cover, most likely Applecare+, and the HDMI output cable. I can definitely afford it but like most people I don't like to overspend too much.

With the Nexus 7 I'd get the 32GB and not need a cover since it's so reasonable and I'd to happy just throwing it around. Also it doesn't output HDMI which kind of sucks.

I'll mostly be using it for browsing Reddit (I love Alien Blue btw), surfing a little, possibly reading books if I get motivated, reading PDF's for sure, not much gaming, watching some TV shows in bed, and bringing it downstairs to use while at the TV couch.

I'll also be travelling a bit back home where I have no computer and travelling elsewhere.

What to do what to do?!
I bought a simulated leather Nexus 7 cover with sleep/wake on Amazon for $8.98 :)

It looks great as well.

n10797

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2011
Congrats, it's a great deal. I wish Google was still doing the $25 Google Play credit. :)

----------

I bought a simulated leather Nexus 7 cover with sleep/wake on Amazon for $8.98 :)

It looks great as well.

Oh thanks but I don't think I'll be getting a cover since I don't care really what happens to it, unlike if I were to get an expensive mini!

nickftw8686

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 6, 2011

What to do what to do?!

Well it sounds like you dont want to use that many apps, and want something you dont have to invest heavily in and can throw around, if that's the case, get the nexus 7.

If you enjoy your iphone 4s and want to use the apps you have there on your mini and not reinvest in apps and don't mind spending more then grab a mini. I think either one will make you happy.

MikeAK

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2011
Oh thanks but I don't think I'll be getting a cover since I don't care really what happens to it, unlike if I were to get an expensive mini!

HAHA.. So true. @ $199 I am nowhere near as OCD about my Nexus as I normally am about my stuff. I don't abuse it but I also don't have it inside a bullet proof vest either. ;)

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Thanks for reminding me of that - since I got the $25 credit, plus the $10 Google Wallet credit, plus had the Nexus 7 during Google's 25 cent sale, selling my current 7 for $150 to get the 32GB cellular one doesn't seem like much of a loss at all. :)

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Thanks for reminding me of that - since I got the $25 credit, plus the $10 Google Wallet credit, plus had the Nexus 7 during Google's 25 cent sale, selling my current 7 for $150 to get the 32GB cellular one doesn't seem like much of a loss at all. :)

I also took advantage of the $25 and the several 25c sales. I had bought a launch N7 and returned several of them for the infamous screen lift. I loved the device as well as Jelly Bean and figured eventually I would pick one up. I did when the 32GB model was announced.

I wish they would bring back the 10c app sales. :)

n10797

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2011
Well it sounds like you dont want to use that many apps, and want something you dont have to invest heavily in and can throw around, if that's the case, get the nexus 7.

If you enjoy your iphone 4s and want to use the apps you have there on your mini and not reinvest in apps and don't mind spending more then grab a mini. I think either one will make you happy.

Hmm well I don't use too many apps with my iPhone 4S but I just don't know what iPad specific apps are out there that I'll definitely start using. The big one would be Alien Blue for iPad which is just awesome. My 4S is jailbroken so I haven't really 'invested' in many apple apps.

I used to have a Galaxy Nexus phone which I sold for a 4S and don't regret that. I guess it was a little too laggy but I hear the Nexus 7 is buttery smooth with some kind of new Jelly Bean feature.

It sounds like I'm trying to convince myself that the Nexus 7 is "better". I just don't knowww. I LOVE the look of the Mini though.

What other drawbacks does the 7 have?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
What other drawbacks does the 7 have?
Bear in mind that a 32GB Nexus 7 with 3G is $260 less than a 32GB iPad Mini with LTE (and $30 less than the base Mini) and that the base Nexus 7 is $130 less than the base Mini but includes a GPS.

Given that, here are some drawbacks (or not - it depends on what you want):

(1) No rear camera.
- I wish it had one.

(2) Not iOS.
- This, to me, is a plus.

(3) No HDMI out.
- I wish it had this, but, then again, to get it on the Mini means buying another adapter.

(4) 16:9 [edit: 16:10] aspect ratio instead of 4:3.
- Better for movies, not as good for surfing.

(5) Rubberized plastic back vs aluminum.
- I prefer this. It doesn't slip out of your hand.

Having used the 7 for months now, I find it to be really nice, and I wouldn't trade it for a Mini. Then again, with an iPhone and iPad, I don't need a new iOS device to use iOS, and I like having and Android device to use things that aren't available on iOS.

If you have no iOS devices, you'll likely enjoy the Mini more because of the app advantage. If you have iOS devices already, you'll likely enjoy the 7 more because it's a revelatory joy to see how the other half lives.

Edit: put another way, you can buy a 32GB Nexus 7 with 3G and a Kindle Fire HD 32GB for less than the iPad Mini 32GB with LTE, and you'd have a great Android tablet and a superior media tablet (with usable speakers!).

Last edited:

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
(4) 16:9 aspect ratio instead of 4:3.
- Better for movies, not as good for surfing.

(5) Rubberized plastic back vs aluminum.
- I prefer this. It doesn't slip out of your hand.

Is 1280x800 16:10 or 16:9? I thought it was 16:10 since I have laptops with that resolution.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I love how so many people over at the iPad forums are making excuses for the lack of retina display in the iPad Mini.

Things like, "you can't see the pixels unless you look closely, so it's okay."

Boy, I wonder where these excuses were when so many criticized non-Retina displays of smartphones and tablets from the competition.

Truly remarkable. And for $329 too... Ouch.

lianlua

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2008
Boy, I wonder where these excuses were when so many criticized non-Retina displays of smartphones and tablets from the competition.
They're not excuses--and people were rightly saying the same things about those devices, too. The availability of retina displays has never rendered a non-retina device unusable, regardless of manufacturer.
Is 1280x800 16:10 or 16:9? I thought it was 16:10 since I have laptops with that resolution.
It is 16:10. 1280/800 = 1.6

nharrietha

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2012
Canada
At the end of the day, does 675,000 apps make a difference if part of that is 20 different calculator apps that are all basically the same, or 30 different alarm clocks? Really all I need is one good app for each function that I need it for. I could care less if there are a million apps.
At the end of the day what truly makes the difference for most is scaled up phone apps vs. apps created to be used and enjoyed on a tablet.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
1.The resolution difference is not huge, I am sorry unless you have superman eyes, its not that noticeable at all.

That's absolutely amazing!

When the iPad is a very small percent lighter than the Nexus 7 (308g vs. 340g), this makes such a massive difference that the Nexus gives you sores hands and wrists whilst holding it but the iPad is perfectly comfortable.

When the Nexus 7 has a significantly higher PPI than the Mini (216PPI vs. 164PPI), this makes no difference at all and one would need "superman eyes" to tell the difference.

Please, red flags went up immediately upon reading your OP, but I must admit you've done a pretty good job. :rolleyes:

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I love how so many people over at the iPad forums are making excuses for the lack of retina display in the iPad Mini.

It's the same thing with the iPad 3 when it first came out. I kept saying the performance between the iPad 2 and 3rd Gen were a wash and the A5X was only there to help push the Retina display. There was almost no gain in performance. I quoted articles and such. Most defended the iPad 3's performance.

Guess what happened when the iPad 4 was announced. All of a sudden the light bulb went off and now you were reading how the A5X lagged in certain games and what a rip the iPad 3 was sans the Retina display.

It always happens, defend the new and attack the old. Fanbois suck ! :p

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
At the end of the day what truly makes the difference for most is scaled up phone apps vs. apps created to be used and enjoyed on a tablet.

I really wish once just once someone who keeps rehashing this same old line would post names of these apps with side by side screen shots to show it. I think there is just a ton of band wagon riding going on. It used to be about Android fragmentation but now the nexus line has killed that line so its all this apps talk. Maybe its true for some apps but the 30 apps I use i cannot see the difference in features or quality between the ipad app and Nexus app.

So which important productivity or utility apps do you use everyday that look like blown up crap on the Nexus 7. I am sure they are out there but which mainstream popular ones?

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia

Oh no! another person who can read the subtext.

Ive been through every post in this thread, and everytime the OP determines the iPad to win in some criteria, it does so by a massive margin.

In the 2-3 areas they have conceded the Nexus 7 wins, it really doesn't make a difference and reality you couldn't tell between them.

Cost? well unless you're poor the more than 30% price difference ($200 vs $329) shouldn't make a difference according to the OP.

More people on this forum need to learn how to critically analyse things, I think.

Last edited:

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I really wish once just once someone who keeps rehashing this same old line would post names of these apps with side by side screen shots to show it. I think there is just a ton of band wagon riding going on. It used to be about Android fragmentation but now the nexus line has killed that line so its all this apps talk. Maybe its true for some apps but the 30 apps I use i cannot see the difference in features or quality between the ipad app and Nexus app.

So which important productivity or utility apps do you use everyday that look like blown up crap on the Nexus 7. I am sure they are out there but which mainstream popular ones?
I completely agree. The only "phone" app I have is a Disney World ride times one, and it looks fine... just obviously meant for a phone screen. All the others are tablet apps. I have far more phone apps on my iPad.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
That's absolutely amazing!

When the iPad is a very small percent lighter than the Nexus 7 (308g vs. 340g), this makes such a massive difference that the Nexus gives you sores hands and wrists whilst holding it but the iPad is perfectly comfortable.

When the Nexus 7 has a significantly higher PPI than the Mini (216PPI vs. 164PPI), this makes no difference at all and one would need "superman eyes" to tell the difference.

Please, red flags went up immediately upon reading your OP, but I must admit you've done a pretty good job. :rolleyes:

Exactly, the OP's post is clearly biased towards Apple, that being said we are on a Apple forum. In my unbiased Opinion (i own loads of Apple gear as well as the N7) the N7 is better then the Mini in almost every way. Even the playstores tablet apps are catching up.

Last edited:

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
I used to have a Galaxy Nexus phone which I sold for a 4S and don't regret that. I guess it was a little too laggy but I hear the Nexus 7 is buttery smooth with some kind of new Jelly Bean feature.

And guess what? The GNex is just as smooth as Nexus 7 is using that new feature under Jelly Bean.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.