Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nickftw8686

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 6, 2011
That's absolutely amazing!

When the iPad is a very small percent lighter than the Nexus 7 (308g vs. 340g), this makes such a massive difference that the Nexus gives you sores hands and wrists whilst holding it but the iPad is perfectly comfortable.

When the Nexus 7 has a significantly higher PPI than the Mini (216PPI vs. 164PPI), this makes no difference at all and one would need "superman eyes" to tell the difference.

Please, red flags went up immediately upon reading your OP, but I must admit you've done a pretty good job. :rolleyes:

Sorry but I have said in other posts that I was not calling the nexus 7 heavy I said that this device is superlight which it is and the way it's shaped and feels in my hands is better. That is my personal opinion, so yes I am biased towards it since it is better for me.

I do not think the screen is better in the 7, they both look nice to me and I enjoy the larger real estate and different aspect ratio, once again my opinion..

I was trying to give an honest review on both devices since I own both and some are on the fence.. So yeah I prefer the mini and have stated why and in repeat posts have said I still do not think the nexus is a bad device, just in my opinion for my needs and likes, the mini so far is winning for me.

----------

Exactly, the OP's post is clearly biased towards Apple, that being said we are on a Apple forum. In my unbiased Opinion (i own loads of Apple gear as well as the N7) the N7 is better then the Mini in almost every way. Even the playstores tablet apps are catching up.

So my post is bias for saying the mini wins but your being unbiased saying the nexus is better and that is that. At least I took the time to support my reasons for why I prefer it...

lighthouse_man

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2005
That is my personal opinion, so yes I am biased towards it since it is better for me.

Nobody's arguing that that was your opinion. But certainly starting a thread to share your opinion, you have to expect some criticism. Otherwise, what's the point?

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I used both for about 30 minutes each today.

I prefer the iPad Mini.

I despise the feel of 16:9 tablets. I hated it on my Asus Transformer, and it hasn't grown on me since. Also, the Nexus 7 feels shockingly low rent compared to the iPad Mini in terms of materials and overall feel.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    617.8 KB · Views: 149

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
There are all sorts of little things on each platform that distinguish them, I don't know if there is much point in dragging in the app ecosystem and operating systems every time. I like playing stuff through my Apple TV (air play), but I loathe iTunes, and I'm tired of having to go through it all the time.

If you compare the hardware alone, I think it is more interesting. The Mini is surely appealing for its design, but to be honest, I never use my devices without cases, so I don't care anymore about all sorts of nice design features from the cool back of the Nexus to the metal on the iPad. For me, it is mainly about the display and speed, so 330 for the iPad looks unappealing. Different priorities, though, and I might lean towards the Mini.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Oh thanks but I don't think I'll be getting a cover since I don't care really what happens to it, unlike if I were to get an expensive mini!

Why would you not care what happens to the N7 but care what happens to the iPad mini? Its still costing you near $300 :confused:

Throw some cash in the wind my way if you dont care....lol

I dont have a tablet but will take good care of my N7 if i do get one because if i do get one, thats the one im getting. Im not overspending for a iPad mini.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I used both for about 30 minutes each today.

I prefer the iPad Mini.

I despise the feel of 16:9 tablets. I hated it on my Asus Transformer, and it hasn't grown on me since. Also, the Nexus 7 feels shockingly low rent compared to the iPad Mini in terms of materials and overall feel.

As has been confirmed the Nexus 7 is 16:10 not 16:9 aspect ratio, slight difference. ;)

----------

Why would you not care what happens to the N7 but care what happens to the iPad mini? Its still costing you near $300 :confused:

I dont have a tablet but will take good care of my N7 if i do get one because if i do get one, thats the one im getting. Im not overspending for a iPad mini.

He's probably a victim of Apple's marketing which means only Apple can produce a quality product. I own various tablets and keep them all in pristine condition in case I want to resell them.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Thanks for reminding me of that - since I got the $25 credit, plus the $10 Google Wallet credit, plus had the Nexus 7 during Google's 25 cent sale, selling my current 7 for $150 to get the 32GB cellular one doesn't seem like much of a loss at all. :)

Yes. I remember the 25 cent sale. There was even a 10 cent sale.

Too bad 20% of the apps and games don't run on my iconia android tablet.

Try to buy asphalt adrenaline 6, but says not compatible with my android device.

Dumb.

n10797

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2011

Haha well I was exaggerating on that point a bit. I guess it has to do with the rubberized back on the N7 where I could place it on a table without worrying about scratches at all; I would always be careful with the screen itself. I'd also be throwing it lightly on the couch or bed from time to time so no big deal.

As has been confirmed the Nexus 7 is 16:10 not 16:9 aspect ratio, slight difference. ;)

----------

He's probably a victim of Apple's marketing which means only Apple can produce a quality product. I own various tablets and keep them all in pristine condition in case I want to resell them.

I'm somewhat of a victim yes :eek: but if I were to get the iPad Mini it would be $622 all-in and the Nexus 7 would be $290 all-in :eek:

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Haha well I was exaggerating on that point a bit. I guess it has to do with the rubberized back on the N7 where I could place it on a table without worrying about scratches at all; I would always be careful with the screen itself. I'd also be throwing it lightly on the couch or bed from time to time so no big deal.

Understood and yes the rubberized backing is a nice touch although I like having an inexpensive case that has a sleep/wake feature. :)

I'm somewhat of a victim yes :eek: but if I were to get the iPad Mini it would be $622 all-in and the Nexus 7 would be $290 all-in :eek:

I was only kidding, the Mini does look like a quality product, i'll buy one just trying to hold out for the subsequent refresh hoping they add retina to the display. The N7 @$290 is the better buy. I wish I had your money. :D

n10797

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2011
Understood and yes the rubberized backing is a nice touch although I like having an inexpensive case that has a sleep/wake feature. :)

I was only kidding, the Mini does look like a quality product, i'll buy one just trying to hold out for the subsequent refresh hoping they add retina to the display. The N7 @$290 is the better buy. I wish I had your money. :D

I couldn't follow the link you posted, but what is this sleep/wake feature you speak of? Also, does it have a stand?

If you only knew what I did to get this money. It would make doves cry...

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I couldn't follow the link you posted, but what is this sleep/wake feature you speak of? Also, does it have a stand?

If you only knew what I did to get this money. It would make doves cry...

Sleep/wake allows the screen to turn off when you close the lid and the screen turns on when you open the lid. And yes you can turn it into a stand. Here's what I bought for $8.98 shipped. It went up in price to $10.98 but it's a quality case. :)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008MIQGTQ/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

41g%2BQUOdoaL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

n10797

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2011
Sleep/wake allows the screen to turn off when you close the lid and the screen turns on when you open the lid. And yes you can turn it into a stand. Here's what I bought for $8.98 shipped. It went up in price to $10.98 but it's a quality case. :)

Cool thanks for the link.

I'm not sure I'd like the full wrap case though because of slight bulk. Is there anything just like the Apple Smart Cover but for the N7 that just covers the front?

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
I had the Nexus 7 for about a month before selling it. It was nice but certain things bothered me like the way the on screen buttons stayed lit up while watching a movie and how narrow the screen was. I felt like I needed to do everything in landscape mode on it. I didn't care much for the display either. Kinda washed out and dull looking but hey, it's only $199.

Got the iPad mini today and I already love it. Although its a lower resolution screen, its still crisp and colors are much more vibrant and accurate. It addressed the two things I didn't like with the iPad, the weight for one handed use laying in bed and the too large keyboard. The weight of the mini is perfect and it can easily be held with one hand for an extended amount of time. The keyboard is also perfect for me as I can type with my thumbs rather easily, doing it now in fact. I also really like that at 7.9 inches, it's much closer to 8 inches than 7. The slightly larger screen really makes a difference while watching movies and playing games. I will gladly take the lower resolution screen in exchange for the pros I mentioned. Great device.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
I had the Nexus 7 for about a month before selling it. It was nice but certain things bothered me like the way the on screen buttons stayed lit up while watching a movie and how narrow the screen was. I felt like I needed to do everything in landscape mode on it. I didn't care much for the display either. Kinda washed out and dull looking but hey, it's only $199.

Got the iPad mini today and I already love it. Although its a lower resolution screen, its still crisp and colors are much more vibrant and accurate. It addressed the two things I didn't like with the iPad, the weight for one handed use laying in bed and the too large keyboard. The weight of the mini is perfect and it can easily be held with one hand for an extended amount of time. The keyboard is also perfect for me as I can type with my thumbs rather easily, doing it now in fact. I also really like that at 7.9 inches, it's much closer to 8 inches than 7. The slightly larger screen really makes a difference while watching movies and playing games. I will gladly take the lower resolution screen in exchange for the pros I mentioned. Great device.

Screen buttons do not stay on what watching a video and I can watch videos in 100% full screen without issue. Not sure why yours had such issues, but that is not normal.

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Screen buttons do not stay on what watching a video and I can watch videos in 100% full screen without issue. Not sure why yours had such issues, but that is not normal.

You can see the white dots for the buttons. It's highly annoying on a black screen

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
The slightly larger screen really makes a difference while watching movies and playing games.

Huh? Aren't you playing widescreen movies and games? See those big black bars of wasted space at the top and bottom of your iPad mini?

In landscape mode, the screens are almost exactly the same width, it's just that the Nexus 7 screen is actually 720p. Again...In landscape, a widescreen movie will be almost identical in size across the two devices, just at a lower res on the iPad.

I could understand you saying that the iPad Mini is better for reading in portrait, but better for watching videos in landscape? No way.

Also, I've got a couple of JB tablets here, each with 3 or 4 video apps. None of them leave the on-screen buttons on.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
(4) 16:9 [edit: 16:10] aspect ratio instead of 4:3.
- Better for movies, not as good for surfing.

Strangely play a movie on both devices that is 2:3.5 (as most films are) and the mini actually displays a bigger picture than the nexus 7 for watching back your movie.

----------

Huh? Aren't you playing widescreen movies and games? See those big black bars of wasted space at the top and bottom of your iPad mini?

Yes but again due to the reduced frame on the mini, and the increased size, viewing movies in their 2:3.5 ratio on it actually give a bigger screen experience than the nexus 7.

Edit: Correction

2.35:1 aspect ratio

Last edited:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Umm, no they aren't. Plus in your ratio the movie is higher than it is wide.

I meant 2.35:1 ;) sorry I put my points/dots in the wrong place :rolleyes: I didn't expect that the semantic police would be on patrol today, despite it being clear what I meant. :p

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA

I own this same case, and it is indeed a great bargain. Is it a perfect case? No, but it has met all my needs well, and at $11 shipped, it is quite the deal.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I own this same case, and it is indeed a great bargain. Is it a perfect case? No, but it has met all my needs well, and at $11 shipped, it is quite the deal.

It was an even better deal at $9. Some of these items you never know but once I got it I thought it was well worth the $9. Maybe it's just me but when it comes to a case for a tablet I always go for the cheapest/best bang for the buck. And with Amazon it's best to check out cases prior to the device launch as that's when they tend to be the cheapest.

I don't think i've spent more than $15 on any of my cases and they all look good and do a nice job.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.