All iPads iPad needs USB 3.0

Discussion in 'iPad' started by AutoUnion39, Dec 9, 2012.

1. macrumors 68040

AutoUnion39

I've upgraded most of my external HDDs and USB sticks to USB 3.0 and now transferring movies and stuff to my iPad is quite annoying. Takes forever to transfer a couple gigs of movies I downloaded off the internet.

Hopefully, they finally put in USB 3.0 so the people with newer Macs can take advantage of faster write speeds.

2. macrumors 6502

Mobile devices use flash that I'm not even sure saturates USB2 at this point.

3. thread starter macrumors 68040

AutoUnion39

I'm sure the flash chips inside these mobile devices can take advantage of USB3.0, if they put in higher speed storage chips.

I remember my old Nokia N95. Literally took an hour to transfer 1gb file to its internal memory.

4. macrumors 6502a

If they put high speed memory it would need to be low density SLC chips, the MLC chips used in cheaper components doesn't go that fast. The cheapo MicroSD Sandisk chip I got for my droid only does 10meg/sec write speed. Given apple are Pennypinching tightasses, I'd say we're stuck at these speeds for a little while.

5. macrumors P6

Intell

The NAND flash chips in the iPhone 5 can only do a maximum write speed of 21 mega bytes per second. That's still well within the range of USB 2.

6. macrumors 601

Of course they could. There's good reason that they don't. People already gripe about the costs.

7. macrumors 6502a

apple is encouraging users to pay for movies from itunes.