iPad iPad "pops" when any pressure is applied to one edge of the screen.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sixxmum, Jan 7, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502a

sixxmum

My new iPad 4 has an odd popping sound that occurs if it is picked up along the camera edge or more than slight pressure is applied on that edge. It sounds like the screen is popping in and back out of the unit. I'm guessing this is not normal and I need to contact Apple or go to the Apple store, right? Anyone had a similar issue and get an easy fix?

2. macrumors member

This guy did: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1519481

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

sixxmum

Thanks! I tried a search with popping and snapping but didn't think of cracking!

4. macrumors regular

Toby Ziegler

It might be the adhesive sticking and then "snapping" loose. Still, it could be a problem later on...nothing to lose by giving Apple a call!

5. thread starter macrumors 6502a

sixxmum

Thanks, all. I called Apple and they sent me to the store, where they said it was a manufacturing defect.

Unfortunately, because the date of sale was the day it shipped (even though I didn't get it until 9 days later), I was out of my 2 week window.

Fortunately, though I couldn't just do an exchange and get a new box, I did get an unboxed replacement under warranty. I'm told it's not a refurb. In any case, it doesn't snap and crackle, so that's good! Now I just need to figure out how to get them to move my applecare+ from the other unit to this one.

6. macrumors member

I have the perfect solution:

DON'T APPLY PRESSURE TO THE SIDE OF THE SCREEN. :D

7. thread starter macrumors 6502a

sixxmum

I'm talking about just the pressure of a thumb while picking up or holding the iPad, not pushing hard :)

8. macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

I have a genius solution.

Go to the apple store, get a replacement!!!! I wouldn't want to live with a imperfect device.

9. macrumors 68030

I have an even better solution: read the actual thread! OP already got a replacement.

10. macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

I know.