Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DMoggo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2013
UK
Not wishing to start a 'gate' problem, just wondering what screen evenness is like on these new iPads from owners perspectives?

Also don't mean to trigger OCD, I am not massively fussy but had a poor Air 1 and hoping they are nice and even now on the new 9.7?

Reading so far most seem very happy

Thanks.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
Not wishing to start a 'gate' problem, just wondering what screen evenness is like on these new iPads from owners perspectives?

Also don't mean to trigger OCD, I am not massively fussy but had a poor Air 1 and hoping they are nice and even now on the new 9.7?

Reading so far most seem very happy

Thanks.

I too have a very high OCD when it comes to Display Perfection and the 9.7 Pro is Superb it represents the utmost in modern display technology. Side by side with my OLED Samsung Note 5, 5.7 inch (ranked best display by displaymate) the colors on the 9.7 Pro next to an OLED Display are just as good not OLED level but just fine. Very punchy colors

- Colors are Vibrant full of life and richness close to OLED quality
- No Flashlighting (test with all Black screen)
- No Banding
- No Gradient
- No hot or dark spots
- Grey colors are distinct and uniform
- True Tone softens the harness and Blueness without Making things "yellow" and adapts to surroundings
- Even with True Tone off my 9.7 Pro has very soft neutral whites which are not too blue or grey its excellent even without True Tone on.
- Motion is smooth Videos at 60 Frames per second Are achieved
- Black are inky and have good depth. Better than Many high end LED HDTV's
- No color shift at even extreme tilt viewing angles (impressive)

I'd like to know who is making these displays for the 9.7 iPad Pro my guess is SHARP at least the one I got is above FOXXCON quality. Apple's only step forward to improving would be OLED. iPhone Pro first.

xsdeus

macrumors regular
May 24, 2012
San Diego, CA
I too have a very high OCD when it comes to Display Perfection and the 9.7 Pro is Superb it represents the utmost in modern display technology. Side by side with my OLED Samsung Note 5, 5.7 inch (ranked best display by displaymate) the colors on the 9.7 Pro next to an OLED Display are just as good not OLED level but just fine. Very punchy colors

- No Banding
- No Gradient
- No hot or dark spots
- True Tone softens the harness and Blueness without Making things "yellow" and adapts to surroundings
- Even with True Tone off my 9.7 Pro has very soft neutral whites which are not too blue or grey its excellent even without True Tone on.

I'd like to know who is making these displays for the 9.7 iPad Pro my guess is SHARP at least the one I got is above FOXXCON quality. Apple's only step forward to improving would be OLED. iPhone Pro first.

Foxxcon is the production line that assembles Apple devices. They don't have anything to do with making displays.

And it's ironic you say the panel is from Sharp and above Foxxcon quality, since Sharp was purchased by Foxxcon just a couple of days ago.

Macintosh1985

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2015
I have noticed that when holding my IPP 9.7 in landscape (with the home button on the right hand side) and having the screen at a very slight tilt downwards facing towards you, that there is a slight pink hue on the bottom part of the display, most prevalent on the right hand side. This is only noticeable on white and grey pages, such as on this forum. Is it worth returning and purchasing again? As apart from that the rest of the device is perfect.

iTeachMath

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2010
Massachusetts
I have noticed that when holding my IPP 9.7 in landscape (with the home button on the right hand side) and having the screen at a very slight tilt downwards facing towards you, that there is a slight pink hue on the bottom part of the display, most prevalent on the right hand side. This is only noticeable on white and grey pages, such as on this forum. Is it worth returning and purchasing again? As apart from that the rest of the device is perfect.

My 12.9 iPP has this as well. I dont see this as a big deal, how often are you doing to be using the iPad tilted toward you?

seadragon

Contributor
Mar 10, 2009
I just purchased the iPad Pro 9.7 and the screen is just excellent on it. And I'm picky when it comes to screens. I went through a few Air 2s that had uneven lighting and some with the book spine effect. I can honestly say my 9.7 Pro is the best screen I've ever seen. Very even illumination, no darkness near the corners or edges and True Tone is awesome.

Really liking this device.

Macintosh1985

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2015
My 12.9 iPP has this as well. I dont see this as a big deal, how often are you doing to be using the iPad tilted toward you?
It only takes a small angle such as holding it in your lap or when attached to the smart keyboard for the pink hue to appear. Its only a very slight pink hue which is why I'm hesitant to bother going through the process of returning and re-purchasing, only for the second one to either have the same or worse affect.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Just bought the ipad pro 9.7 today and no complaints here. Excellent screen and loving the true tone display.

seadragon

Contributor
Mar 10, 2009
I don't know who is making the screens but its so much better than the string of Air 2s I went through late last year.

aypues

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2012
San Diego
It only takes a small angle such as holding it in your lap or when attached to the smart keyboard for the pink hue to appear. Its only a very slight pink hue which is why I'm hesitant to bother going through the process of returning and re-purchasing, only for the second one to either have the same or worse affect.

It's the anti-reflective filter they put in it. I can't stand it actually....I compared two white screens on my iPad 4 to my iPad Pro 9.7 and the 4 is just a normal white whereas the iPP9.7 is magenta-ish. It's even visible with the screen off, which is how I know it's the physical filter. Here's a pic of the screens reflecting a piece of white paper while turned off. The 4 is on the left, iPP9.7 right. I really like the speed and all, but the screen discoloration is a deal breaker. Maybe ill try the Air 2.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    443.9 KB · Views: 562

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
Maybe a slight cast from pink to green going left to right, but its almost imperceptible. It's a nice display, but so was the iPad 3 I upgraded from to be honest.

Reactions: jamesrick80

Macintosh1985

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2015
It's the anti-reflective filter they put in it. I can't stand it actually....I compared two white screens on my iPad 4 to my iPad Pro 9.7 and the 4 is just a normal white whereas the iPP9.7 is magenta-ish. It's even visible with the screen off, which is how I know it's the physical filter. Here's a pic of the screens reflecting a piece of white paper while turned off. The 4 is on the left, iPP9.7 right. I really like the speed and all, but the screen discoloration is a deal breaker. Maybe ill try the Air 2.
So basically all 9.7 IPPs will experience exactly the same issue as mine? Because the other half of my display doesn't have this slight colour change when holding the display either towards or away from me, which is becoming particularly annoying when using the on screen keyboard. My 12.9 IPP never had this issue, nor did any of my previous iPads.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
So basically all 9.7 IPPs will experience exactly the same issue as mine? Because the other half of my display doesn't have this slight colour change when holding the display either towards or away from me, which is becoming particularly annoying when using the on screen keyboard. My 12.9 IPP never had this issue, nor did any of my previous iPads.

It's not the coating. This is common on lcds. The 12.9s have this to varying degrees, some quite severe. If you want, buy another and keep the best of the two. Good luck. You're right these forums really make it worse. Even viewing straight on many units have it to some degree.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
Well, the Air 2 has a bluish tint to it from the anti-reflective coating.

DMoggo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2013
UK
I took the plunge and bought one, screen is not bad really, pinkish nearer the bottom of the screen and whiter towards the top, will see if I can live with it.......always seems hit and miss with LCD screens.

StPatty33

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
Colorado
Will echo everyone else. I'm extremely particular about hot spots, dead pixels, etc in my screen, and this screen is easily the most consistent, even, beautiful screen I've had the pleasure of looking at.

Reactions: seadragon

aypues

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2012
San Diego
I took the plunge and bought one, screen is not bad really, pinkish nearer the bottom of the screen and whiter towards the top, will see if I can live with it.......always seems hit and miss with LCD screens.

Agreed. Going to wait a generation or two til they catch up to the OLED bandwagon. The iPhone is rumored to have it next year so iPad wont be far behind.

Leo90

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2014
Switzerland

- No Banding
- No Gradient
- No hot or dark spots

The screen on the 9.7 iPad Pro was the main feature which made me upgrade from an Air 2. It is simply gorgeous! I just dont understand how people like those Samsung OLED displays, I mean the colours are so oversaturated that it tends to hurt my eyes. I know OLEDs are very efficient in terms of energy consumption, but I hope Apple will never use those Samsung amoled with overly saturated textures.

Reactions: Mr.C and HiItsMe

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
Screen and sound threads always make me smile. Golden eyes and ears are special. Running same movie trailer on a 9.7 next to a 12.9 really shows how much of an improvement the 9.7 screen is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.