Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

l00pback

macrumors regular
May 28, 2010
I think "more accessible" means, "less expensive". As in "more accessible to poor college students, and the like."
You could say that about everything. As a college student, I couldn't buy everything I wanted. That's just the way it is.

Of course you can say that about anything. Someone asked what was meant by "more accessible". I was just offering my interpretation. I wish the Tesla Model S P85D was more accessible, but it's not. That's just the was it is.

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
Since I already wasted a load of time explaining this before, I'm not inclined to keep doing it every time someone pipes up that they can't see a difference between sketching a doodle on iOS and using a full featured Wacom Cintiq on all the applications available to it on OS X & Windows.

I was being generous calling it a motorscooter.
Oh, so you've used the Cintiq Companion and the iPad Pro with pencil and can compare the two for me? PERFECT! Because that's just what I was looking for. Could you break it out for me, maybe, with some actual metrics of performance and a few specific personal examples to justify preference?

Or are you just being dismissive because Wacom came to your house and brain-washed you at some point? If you haven't used them both and can't make a reasoned and well-thought-out comparison, I have zero interest in what you have to say.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Well, based on your hostility to anyone who disagrees or questions you here, I'll bet you have zero interest in what I or anyone else who doesn't agree with your preconceived notions has to say either way, whether i waste an hour preparing a specially-written report for you or not. I stand only to lose only more patience and time repeating myself to gain nothing.

So, briefly, Yes. I have two offices of 24", 22", and 27" cintiq's for my designers, engineers, and architects, have run iPads since day 1 and have joined the staff in using and evaluating every illustration and design app in the App Store. One of our partners lent us an early Pro with a Pencil. They are two entirely different products with entirely different and the only overlap between them is the ability to sketch & paint on screen. If that's your only use for a wacom, then you might as well do it on an iPad Pro. It [will] work well enough for that. ...once the applications get up to speed. Right now it's a handful of raster apps with wildly varying performance. Vector applications for scalable, editable drawings are a ways out yet. On Screen CAD work isn't coming. Parametric 3d modeling isn't coming. etc etc etc. To do all the other things a professional designer does, and do them on an Apple computer, you need OS X and its ability to also run Windows. The downside of a cintiq, if you've never even seen one, is that they weigh a ton and are not meant to be mobile, or even really portable.

It doesn't take in-home brainwashing to realize why Solidworks wont run on an iPad, or why Dassault Systemes, Autodesk, Creo/PRO-E, CATIA aren't bringing their full featured professional design software to OS X or iOS. iOS devices are lightweight mobile devices for lightweight work. If you can't see the difference between the two, I'm not sure there's anything anyone can say to help you. Buy one of each and learn for yourself.

Reactions: villicodelirant

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
So, briefly, Yes. I have two offices of 24", 22", and 27" cintiq's for my designers, engineers, and architects, have run iPads since day 1 and have joined the staff in using and evaluating every illustration and design app in the App Store. One of our partners lent us an early Pro with a Pencil. They are two entirely different products with entirely different and the only overlap between them is the ability to sketch & paint on screen. If that's your only use for a wacom, then you might as well do it on an iPad Pro. It [will] work well enough for that. ...once the applications get up to speed. Right now it's a handful of raster apps with wildly varying performance. Vector applications for scalable, editable drawings are a ways out yet. On Screen CAD work isn't coming. Parametric 3d modeling isn't coming. etc etc etc. To do all the other things a professional designer does, and do them on an Apple computer, you need OS X and its ability to also run Windows. The downside of a cintiq, if you've never even seen one, is that they weigh a ton and are not meant to be mobile, or even really portable.
Deleting your bookending paragraphs because they were functionless and silly.

This is really exactly why I wanted to hear from the Wacom crowd. I've used a desktop Cintiq for several years, but I've never seen the Companion as being worth the price tag for the reasons you stated (heavy, not a great mobile experience, etc). But there's no arguing with the speed and accuracy of their digitizers. So I wanted someone who has used the Cintiqs and has had access to the iPad Pro + Pencil to weigh in. Sounds like you have those qualifications.

Also sounds like I can skip the Cintiq Companion and go for an iPad pro instead at half the cost for equivalent storage. Because drawing and painting are exactly what I would need it for. As long as the apps come up to speed over the next few months, this could easily be a justifiable work expense. So you see, I actually was looking for what I asked for, just a comparison minus your assumptions concerning my use case.

Snark aside, thanks for your input.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.