Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 28, 2003
Got mine Friday morning after a lot of back and forth in my mind. I upgraded from an Air 2. Even on the way to Best Buy to pick it up I was having remorse. After getting home and playing with it, I was happy with it. Love TrueTone, screen attracts almost no fingerprints, nice speakers.

Here's my issue. As I sit using it I don't feel anything is really different from my Air 2 aside from the screen feeling smooth and not attracting fingerprints. It seems snappy but not so much that I feel a difference from my Air 2.

So, I am left feeling "Did I really need this upgrade?" and am pondering returning.

Anyone else in the same boat?

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006
I did not upgrade for the very same reason, I feel, if the money is not a big deal the update is worthed, if money is tight return it.
The Pro feature are really the new screen and the pencil, if those are useful to you, then you made the right choice updating, wish i could help more.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I upgraded from an Air 2, and I think it was worth it.

The speakers on the iPad Pro are much nicer. And markedly less vibration from the Air 2, as well.

Much as I've despised people in the past using their iPad as a camera, I've actually wound up using it as one over the weekend, and can see why people do it. Though I think my iPhone is still gonna be my primary camera. :)

Then there's Band 12 LTE support, important for me because I'm on T-Mobile.

That's even before the pencil and keyboard support, both of which I'm really liking.

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006
Constantly surprised by the number of people that don't know how to buy products for themselves

WOW ... another iPad Air 2 / iPad Pro 9.7" thread.

This is like listening to The Clash, non-stop.
Constantly surprised by the number of people that read threads they are not interested in....and b**** about it...

Last edited:

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
I had already sold my Air 2 a month ago, so I 'had' to buy something. That said, I see almost no difference in screen quality (I'm 48 though, so eyes?), speed differences negligible so far. I only bought it yesterday afternoon, so I haven't really gave it a full workout yet. Did not spring for the keyboard or pencil yet.

As for fingerprints, it seems like this one attracts fingerprints more and seem harder to clean.

If I have any buyer's remorse, it would be for choosing the 128GB LTE version.

Reactions: SurFaceMac

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
Constantly surprised by the number of people that read threads they are not interested in....and b**** about it...
They should have known what they were buying. How could they be THAT shocked that they didn't need the extra features? This is a mass produced popular product that upon release floods the Internet with reviews all over YouTube and EVERY teach site on the Internet.

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006
They should have known what they were buying. How could they be THAT shocked that they didn't need the extra features? This is a mass produced popular product that upon release floods the Internet with reviews all over YouTube and EVERY teach site on the Internet.
I did not see / read / got from the poster he is shocked, you are making it worse than it really is, but that has nothing to do with readinga thread you are no interested in.

He bought a product, he expected something more and he is asking for suggestions, I don't see any bad in that, he knew the new feature as he implied in the message, he doesn't know after using it (the only way to be sure) if the new stuff is worthed, and as per review most of them are biased anyway, difficult to make a decision on a review.

Should he have made more research? Maybe, but it happens to all of us from time to time to be unsecure about a purchase.

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
I did not see / read / got from the poster he is shocked, you are making it worse than it really is, but that has nothing to do with readinga thread you are no interested in.

He bought a product, he expected something more and he is asking for suggestions, I don't see any bad in that, he knew the new feature as he implied in the message, he doesn't know after using it (the only way to be sure) if the new stuff is worthed, and as per review most of them are biased anyway, difficult to make a decision on a review.

Should he have made more research? Maybe, but it happens to all of us from time to time to be unsecure about a purchase.
You...should relax dude

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Hey @Ghost31, I usually track with the things you post but I did think that your snarky comment here was a bit misplaced.

Sometimes no matter how much research a person does, it still doesn't perfectly reflect the experience for that particular person. In addition, this forum is extremely active and it is easy for threads to quickly get buried pages down. So I cut slack for people starting new threads vs. posting to older ones.

HiItsMe

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
No buyer's remorse here. I'm loving my new iPad and think it was worth every dollar spent (though I would have been happy to have paid less). If it's not living up to your expectations, go ahead and return it. I do think the Pro will retain more of its sticker price in value at any given future date vs a 1.5+ year old device though so I try not to get to wrapped up by the initial investment. The larger value later will take the sting out of the next upgrade. :)

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 28, 2003
I suppose it probably is a worthy upgrade if you have the money like ppcebay said. For me, money is very tight and I justified it by being able to sell my Air 2 on Craig's list. My remorse is a combination of spending money I didn't really have to spare for a product that probably is a worthy upgrade but perhaps not large enough to make me forget about the money.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
And what? Isn't the next version after the next version going to be better than the next version?

True. But its more about what makes it better for you. At this point it was going to be hard for Apple to release something as good as the Air 2.

I'm guessing that's why they renamed it... Hoping to grab some attention to potential buyers. I think the camera should be the biggest reason to upgrade... But there's not a lot of users who actually takes picture with their iPads.

I sold my Air 2 for the 12.9 iPP... Haven't looked back since. I knew going in that the bigger screen will appeal to me.

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
Got mine Friday morning after a lot of back and forth in my mind. I upgraded from an Air 2. Even on the way to Best Buy to pick it up I was having remorse. After getting home and playing with it, I was happy with it. Love TrueTone, screen attracts almost no fingerprints, nice speakers.

Here's my issue. As I sit using it I don't feel anything is really different from my Air 2 aside from the screen feeling smooth and not attracting fingerprints. It seems snappy but not so much that I feel a difference from my Air 2.

So, I am left feeling "Did I really need this upgrade?" and am pondering returning.

Anyone else in the same boat?

Anyone coming from an iPad Air 2 will have buyers remorse. Heck I'd be mad as hell than in 15 months the iPad Air has been blown out of the water.

Its the same size and weight and resolution and its gonna feel like theres nothing special.

Honestly If I owned an iPad Air 2 I would not Upgrade at all.

HiItsMe

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
I suppose it probably is a worthy upgrade if you have the money like ppcebay said. For me, money is very tight and I justified it by being able to sell my Air 2 on Craig's list. My remorse is a combination of spending money I didn't really have to spare for a product that probably is a worthy upgrade but perhaps not large enough to make me forget about the money.
Then definitely return it. These things aren't supposed to put a strain on your financial situation. If you already have an iPad Air 2 then you already have a damned good machine and I'd stick with that.

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006

You are in luck you can return it then ;) I hope everything works out for you, it is always sad to buy something new and not being able tu fully enjoy it, for this or that reason :(

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas

Which Air 2 model did you have? And what iPP model did you buy?

But I'd suggest taking the iPP back.. Give it some time & wait for a sale. I wish I could have done that with my iPP, but I was itching to have it on launch day... With all the recent sales & Craigslist listing going on, I could had save some bucks.

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
Hey @Ghost31, I usually track with the things you post but I did think that your snarky comment here was a bit misplaced.

Sometimes no matter how much research a person does, it still doesn't perfectly reflect the experience for that particular person. In addition, this forum is extremely active and it is easy for threads to quickly get buried pages down. So I cut slack for people starting new threads vs. posting to older ones.
I'm all for people have opinions on things. That's what these forums are for! But wouldn't any number of a bunch of other threads have covered this? Liiiiike....https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/how-happy-are-you-with-your-new-9-7-ipad-pro.1964991/

It's just kind of odd. Saying you didn't know if you needed to upgrade because "well true tone is nice and it has nice speakers, but I don't know!" Well...those were the upgrades. If you didn't think those features among the other new ones were worth it, why did you get it ya know?

There's a lot of psychology that goes on with purchases. Especially these days when you have the media and giant multi billion dollar companies telling you what to buy. Back when I was a kid, people didn't really buy things unless they had a strong need. "Back in my day" (when saying that, I get to feel old) you kept your tv until it died. Same with phones and everything else. Now people are spending hundreds of dollars on a product for a couple minor features they don't even know they need. And despite how fast tech seems to be moving, there aren't any quantum leaps in technology. Especially when you already have a product that just a month ago was the newest most current one. That's why on all these sites they ask this very question. "If I have an iPad Air 2, should I get the new iPad Pro?" And it's pretty much a consensus that unless you're dying for an updated speaker set up or a better camera, your iPad Air 2 is just fine. It's like if someone warns you not to put your hand in fire then you do it anyway, then you make a thread about it saying "damnnnn that was hot! I probably shouldn't have done that!" Then people look at you like dude. You were warned. How can you be that shocked? You should have thought this through. Are the people that tell him to be more careful in the future just a bunch of jerks?

I don't know. Maybe I bring too much of my own perspective with my comments sometimes and it can be jarring to some people. I can be a little too blunt sometimes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.