Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Taiwanese website DigiTimes today reported the "iPad Pro" will enter production by the end of the third quarter and go into mass production in the fourth quarter, corroborating a recent KGI report that said the rumored 12.9-inch tablet would enter mass production in September-October.

iPad-Pro-Martin-Hajek.jpg
"iPad Pro" mockup places 12.9-inch tablet alongside iPad Air and iPad mini

The report claims the "iPad Pro" will be released in the fourth quarter, with an estimated 4-5 million shipments in 2015. DigiTimes reported in July that the "iPad Pro" could launch in mid-November as Foxconn prepared to start supplying components at the time, but the release timeframe remains uncertain.

The report claims Sharp will be the main supplier of LCD displays for the tablet, while Foxconn subsidiary General Interface Solution (GIS) will provide touch panels. Samsung Display and TPK will be secondary suppliers of LCD assemblies and touch modules respectively, according to the report.

Article Link: 'iPad Pro' Production Reaffirmed for September-October Ahead of Rumored Late 2015 Launch

Reactions: mektobat

Sandstorm

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2011
Riga, Latvia
I'm definitely interested but with one condition - it must have stylus (and really good one, suitable for professional creative use). The possibilities for various creative uses with stylus are endless. I'm sure app developers will quickly enable us to do things we even can't imagine yet.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Wonder what the price will be on the iPad Pro? if it's anything like the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus it will be a £100 (and $100) premium, so maybe it will start at £$499

Reactions: Apple Human

iamgalt

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
Is apple basically doing what it did last time without Steve Jobs? Where they just kept adding models of computers?
Yes. Yes they are. Focusing on a few products, and making them REALLY good, is what helped Apple come back from a very bleak place. And they are getting further and further away from that philosophy, it seems. Hopefully, history won't repeat itself.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
Is apple basically doing what it did last time without Steve Jobs? Where they just kept adding models of computers?

They're still a long way from "product name" followed by 3 or 4 digit cryptic number, times 10. This is just continuing what they've been doing when Steve was around, making different sized rectangular touch screen devices :)

Also I find your signature to be a bit ironic considering your comment ;)

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
iPad support is pretty bad already among devs. I wouldn't rush out to get this as apps would need to be updated. Very few use these productively. I have one for home use and wouldn't pay more than a couple hundred for any ipad these days.

Reactions: rogertoh16

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
I do love that all of the displays of this still show 4 icons at the bottom.

For me, a tablet must:
1. Have a stylus. I haven't used my fingers to draw stuff since I lived in a cave, back around 200,000 years ago. The pen/stylus is one of those inventions that has stood the test of time. Even those "sign with your finger as a pen" POS terminals are obtuse.
2. Have a better OS, like OS X. I don't want to be playing around with a 12" iPhone.
3. Allow a mouse/trackpad. When drawing with a CAD program, that whole "hand" thing gets in the way while I am drawing.
4. Allow windows. To me, a single/dual app model is like working in a book, where only one/two pages can be displayed. Having multiple windows is the way to do it, so I can collect ideas from all over, and arrange them my way. Not that my way is the best for you, but it is the best for me.

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
Good point. When he came back to Apple, didn't he immediately close down several products in order to steamline their offerings?

It does seem Apple are going a little bit down the Samsung road - just keep throwing stuff and see what sticks. And if in any doubt, just make it bigger.

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
I can't wait till the end of this year, not because I want to buy one, but because I want these iPad Pro rumors to stop. This has been going on for the past couple of years (or seems like it).
It has been pretty quiet on the new AppleTV, iTV (the TV that Apple is going to make), the Apple Car, the Watch sales, and Steve Jobs movie lately...

Wait... no, it hasn't.

I know how you're feeling, but this is a fools hope, hoping that MacRumors will stop doing this.

SlyMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2008
I really want the larger sized screen but I dont think I'll buy it if its just iOS stretched. Its got to bring an updated UI for the larger screen and better specs to make this thing worth it to me.

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Good point. When he came back to Apple, didn't he immediately close down several products in order to steamline their offerings?

It does seem Apple are going a little bit down the Samsung road - just keep throwing stuff and see what sticks. And if in any doubt, just make it bigger.
Yeah, I had an orphaned Newton. I didn't buy Apple products for 12 years after that. It really left a bad impression on me.

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
It has been pretty quiet on the new AppleTV, iTV (the TV that Apple is going to make), the Apple Car, the Watch sales, and Steve Jobs movie lately...

Wait... no, it hasn't.

I know how you're feeling, but this is a fools hope, hoping that MacRumors will stop doing this.

Definitely not blaming Macrumors for this. After all, this is a site to talk about rumors. I'm just talking about the overall rumors of this device that keeps becoming "not true" every year.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
All these comments because Apple are making a bigger iPad

But the difference was that those products were failing, and John Scully was not the right person to lead Apple. Tim Cook is the right man for the job and since Job's died, the iPhone has become more popular and Apples stock and profits have grown. They may be adding more products to the line up, but it's all about choice, nobody is saying you have to go out and buy the iPad Pro, but for those of us who want one it will be welcomed.

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Definitely not blaming Macrumors for this. After all, this is a site to talk about rumors. I'm just talking about the overall rumors of this device that keeps becoming "not true" every year.
It would be interesting to see the amount of rumors that actually do come true. I'd say, give each rumor a 3 year lifespan from first breaking, then check the status on them for coming to fruition or not.

balconycollapse

Cancelled
Aug 7, 2003
There are a couple reasons my work place won't buy the current iPad to give to scientists / workers in the field. They could be convinced to go with an iPad in line of business with...

• Higher nit (light intensity units) for viewing in bright light
  • Sapphire screen for durability (is that possible?)
  • Loooong battery -- a 12.9 inch screen should have a 12.9 inch batter so that's solved
  • USB-c to hook up tons of peripherals and write to flash drive
  • Multitasking (solved)
  • Built in NFC RF maybe barcode reader

Reactions: V.K.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.