Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Have anyone tried the Screens app? It's discounted. Just wanted to check any opinions on the app...

macsation

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2009
Washington, DC
Try Parallels Access. By far the best remote desktop solution I've tried. It offers an easy to navigate touch interface, that displays your desktop programs as apps on the iPad screen.

Parallels Access actually nails the purchase of an iPad Pro for me. I've wanted a huge iPad with ability to remote into my mac mini for years!

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Try Parallels Access. By far the best remote desktop solution I've tried. It offers an easy to navigate touch interface, that displays your desktop programs as apps on the iPad screen.

Parallels Access actually nails the purchase of an iPad Pro for me. I've wanted a huge iPad with ability to remote into my mac mini for years!

Parallels Access isn't free.. Right? I'm currently using Splashtop 2 as of now.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
I actually don't mind using the screen as a mouse. I was able to work on my excel worksheets this week while I was out of town and didn't need to bring a separate laptop and iPad.

Just a question.

Would the iOS excel app not have done the same thing natively, and designed for touch input?

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
Have anyone tried the Screens app? It's discounted. Just wanted to check any opinions on the app...
I purchases Screens on sale a few days ago. I haven't tried it out on my iPad Air yet (haven't needed to) and my iPP isn't here yet. I'll give it a try and compare it to iTeleport (what I previously used for remote access).

mojo522

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2009
Just a question.

Would the iOS excel app not have done the same thing natively, and designed for touch input?

I do use the ios app, but for more complex tasks (cutting large amount of cells between sheets, heavy formatting for external presentation, charts, etc) I have found that remoting in with the mouse to be easier then using my finger in the ios app.

I am an accountant so I spend 95% of my time in excel, so I am sure the more I use the ios version I will get more comfortable with it. Right now, the desktop version is faster for me.

Reactions: secretk

pierre.hohenberg

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2016
This post right here is such a big deal it might've convinced me to go out and get an iPad pro. I've never tried Remote Desktop. If I have a good internet connection, I shouldn't have any issues with lag right? I'm thinking about using the iPad pro for most everything and the part of the time that I'll want to Remote Desktop, it won't be too much of a hassle I don't think. I want to start learning how to program but good ide's are only available on desktop os's. Think Remote Desktop will work for me as a beginner coder? Slap that smart keyboard onto that baby and Remote Desktop?

I'm getting a bit excited thinking about it now...
Hello:
I can't find a *keyboard* when I am logged into Remote Desktop from my Ipad Pro, either on the screen, or using the external keyboard I bought with my tablet. It does not connect to my remote computer. Help!

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
Yes it's fun, but without support for a mouse it is limiting. Remoting into a Windows 10 PC without a mouse is exactly like using a Surface tablet with desktop apps without a mouse. It isn't enjoyable/preferable doing that directly on a Windows tablet, it isn't any more enjoyable because it is an iPad.

Should Apple provide support for a mouse, then yes, it would be fantastic.

It's a shame really. Even if iOS didn't natively support mice, it would be nice if they could connect to apps like Remote Desktop apps which could then pass that data through to the host computer.

I wonder if you could make a mouse that pretended to behave like an Mfi controller? Could be something for the Remote Desktop developers to look into - I'd definitely switch to one that supported a mouse accessory

Reactions: eyeseeyou

AlexJoda

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2015
Just bought the Citrix X1 mouse that is supported from Jump Desktop, a remote app for RDP sessions. It runs only in the remote session without jailbreaking the iPad. That might solve this problem....Hope that all other remote apps (e.g. Teamviewer, Horizon View, MS RDP) will support this mouse too with the next releases.

Reactions: temna

shortcut3d

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2011
I've been using microsoft's remote desktop app since it's release. To securely access outside the home, I use OpenVPN to reach my local network. I remote into my Windows 10 media server (Plex) to for general computing from time to time and even installed Office 365 so I can access Windows desktop version of Excel. Microsoft recently bumped the app resolution to support the iPad Pro. It was a great experience. Microsoft has a touch screen mode as well as a mouse pointer mode where the whole screen acts as a track pad.

Sadly, I reached the decision that the Pro was too large and heavy. I found myself often leaving it at home. Just sold it on eBay for original purchase price, but threw in the Smart Keyboard and Silicon Case. Now I'm waiting for next week's announcement.

Has anyone tried the pencil with Microsoft Remote Desktop? Is there any special support?

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 9, 2015
Hello:
I can't find a *keyboard* when I am logged into Remote Desktop from my Ipad Pro, either on the screen, or using the external keyboard I bought with my tablet. It does not connect to my remote computer. Help!
I've had my keyboards not work a couple times. I usually have to log out of the app and back in

ccrgt

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2015
Canberra, Australia

Do you need to have the computer you are wanting to access from your iPad 'awake', eg not in sleep mode? Or can you access your computer when it is in sleep mode?

barbarbar

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2011
There are some apps like jump remote desktop wich has mouse support already. I am using it and works perfect!

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
There are some apps like jump remote desktop wich has mouse support already. I am using it and works perfect!
Jump Remote Desktop looks very interesting. I have a few questions:

1. What mice are supported by JRD?
(I prefer to not get locked in to a proprietary mouse solution)

2. How easy is it to access remote systems that are outside of the local (home) network?
(I currently use Team Viewer which works easily and flawlessly to connect to my iMac on my home system no matter where I am)

thanks!

gtjeta

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2012
1. There are two compatible mouses, Citrix X1 and swiftpoint gt. For the second there is a coupon in the app. Other mouses are not compatible.

2. Accessing outer networks is trivial once you install the companion application in your iMac (similar to timeviewer).

There is a thread similar to this one in the forum talking about this application and both mouses.

Reactions: sracer

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
1. There are two compatible mouses, Citrix X1 and swiftpoint gt. For the second there is a coupon in the app. Other mouses are not compatible.

2. Accessing outer networks is trivial once you install the companion application in your iMac (similar to timeviewer).

There is a thread similar to this one in the forum talking about this application and both mouses.
Until Apple provides native support for mice (which would ultimately work with ANY RDP solution) this might be the next best thing. thanks!

temna

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2008
The X1 mouse only works with Citrix products, but I asked in another thread and people indicated it should work with a Mac and Go To My PC, which is very similar to Screens.

Supposedly the X1 also works with Jump Desktop..

pbird

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2015
lests make a pool or tell what you think is the best remote desktop app

I use Splashtop. Fast and stable. I either use its built in mouse options or I use my iPhone as a trackpad with the bettersnaptool remote app. I also either use the onscreen keyboard or the Logitech k380 keyboard when I need to type a lot.

niz617

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2016
Might I ask how you connect through VPN? I have StrongVPN on both my PC and iPad Pro, however I always get an error that my credentials are correct but I don't have permissions to access the system.

When I connect through VPN over wifi, I have no issues.

hopToWork

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2016
Check us out at hopTo. We're focused on making it easier to use Windows apps on mobile devices without need for Mouse or External Keyboard. Here's an example of using HopTo Work with QuickBooks

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
Remote Desktop is working excellent for accessing Windows 10 from iPad Pro. It feels like a genuine Surface product. However, launch Photoshop and you will find that you can only manipulate menus and palettes. The main document window doesn't receive cursor or touch commands, which means you can't use Pencil either. Is there a way around this? Other remote apps don't compare well video quality wise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.