Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
Long story short, I was outside..came in and quick noticed my iPad Pro 12" with a seriously goofy screen, looking like crumpled paper..my heart kind of dropped. Then looked at my iMac..and see a 1/2 black screen. DUH...silly me..I quick realized I still had my sunglasses on. These have polarized lenses, but wow..this is quite different!

The partial black iMac screen with my sunglasses on, that's normal. The crumpled paper look on my iPad..I've never seen that "effect" on any of my devices. I'm not in a panic...the iPad looks fine when I take the sunglasses off (Of course I'm not going to use this with sunglasses on ;) ) It just seems...odd?

Anyway, this is what I see...taken from my iPhone. Anyone else have the same effect?

76o0hEj.jpg

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
I assume there is a fresnel-like lens behind to distribute the lighting evenly.
But it is oddly looking indeed.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
Long story short, I was outside..came in and quick noticed my iPad Pro 12" with a seriously goofy screen, looking like crumpled paper..my heart kind of dropped. Then looked at my iMac..and see a 1/2 black screen. DUH...silly me..I quick realized I still had my sunglasses on. These have polarized lenses, but wow..this is quite different!

The partial black iMac screen with my sunglasses on, that's normal. The crumpled paper look on my iPad..I've never seen that "effect" on any of my devices. I'm not in a panic...the iPad looks fine when I take the sunglasses off (Of course I'm not going to use this with sunglasses on ;) ) It just seems...odd?

Anyway, this is what I see...taken from my iPhone. Anyone else have the same effect?

76o0hEj.jpg
This is clearly a Feature that somehow got turned on on your unit True Tone is supposed to mimic the paper color depending on lighting conditions Apple is taking it one step further by offering Paper Textures options. Like Crumpled, Smooth, or Magazine, or Old, or Newspaper, and Book. I get the same effect on my iPad Pro 9.7 with True Tone on but with True Tone off it goes away. Does not trigger always takes a full factory reset to enable it.

Reactions: LCPepper and jgelin

Beavix

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2010
Romania
This is clearly a Feature that somehow got turned on on your unit True Tone is supposed to mimic the paper color depending on lighting conditions Apple is taking it one step further by offering Paper Textures options. Like Crumpled, Smooth, or Magazine, or Old, or Newspaper, and Book. I get the same effect on my iPad Pro 9.7 with True Tone on but with True Tone off it goes away. Does not trigger always takes a full factory reset to enable it.

Wait, what? Is this "paper texture" really a feature of True Tone? Sounds like the stupidest idea ever, I hope you're joking. :)

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
For a split second, I did think it was some new exclusive feature on the Pro..."Crumpled Paper texture" background.
Obviously no that's not an option.:) I don't have the True Tone on the 12.9"

It's extremely odd, I shot a clip with a polarized filter on my camera..when adjusting it, the effect becomes more odd. Those "bumps, creases" appear to change in depth/height..Looking at my iPhone 6+, you get a wild rainbow effect.

iPad Pro 12.9"
giphy.gif

iPhone 6+
giphy.gif

Reactions: gifo and Beavix

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
This is really cool. I want some polarised glasses now! It's actually a bit scary.. Could prank the hell out of someone with this. XD

You accidentally got the Apple equivelent of:
image.jpeg

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
Just follow your own advice, Google polarized lens and screens and when you find an aswer to what the OP is experiencing let us all know.

I guess I should Google polarized and computer monitors huh? I've just never seen this "bumpy" oddity on any electronic device. I know what they do for cameras, glasses...kill the glare very well, adds a clearer photo / gives the sky a very cool deep blue when you adjust it. Adjustable filters will blackout a computer monitor.

Another whacky effect on an old Sony camera about 12, 13 years ago - it had "Night Vision" mode. (I have to dig up that old camera again) When turned on, you could see through certain objects. Filming the night vision using this old primitive 640x480 VGA video - aiming at my old iPhone 4, you saw a constant blinking pulsating on the front that couldn't be seen without that night vision.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
For a split second, I did think it was some new exclusive feature on the Pro..."Crumpled Paper texture" background.
Obviously no that's not an option.:) I don't have the True Tone on the 12.9"

It's extremely odd, I shot a clip with a polarized filter on my camera..when adjusting it, the effect becomes more odd. Those "bumps, creases" appear to change in depth/height..Looking at my iPhone 6+, you get a wild rainbow effect.

iPad Pro 12.9"
giphy.gif

iPhone 6+
giphy.gif
Paper does not crumple like that it almost looks like a Topgraphical Map. Maybe how the CIA send messages to agents embedded on the internet only seen by special polarized lenses. You lenses maybe seeing just a small fraction of what might be there.

I see it on my 9.7 iPad Pro but it goes away only a full hard reset brings back the cool textures.

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
I guess I should Google polarized and computer monitors huh? I've just never seen this "bumpy" oddity on any electronic device. I know what they do for cameras, glasses...kill the glare very well, adds a clearer photo / gives the sky a very cool deep blue when you adjust it. Adjustable filters will blackout a computer monitor.

Another whacky effect on an old Sony camera about 12, 13 years ago - it had "Night Vision" mode. (I have to dig up that old camera again) When turned on, you could see through certain objects. Filming the night vision using this old primitive 640x480 VGA video - aiming at my old iPhone 4, you saw a constant blinking pulsating on the front that couldn't be seen without that night vision.

That is exactly my point to the person I was responding to.
You can google all day long and you will not find anything like this.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
It's the polarized lense showing the wrinkles in you screen cover.
I thought this also, even though I applied the "Invisible Shield HD" screen protector on pretty darn flush, I thought perhaps the filter might show creases what the naked eye can't see. I applied it to this old iPad mini over a year ago, actually have a real annoying air bubble in the corner..but nothing appears with the filter - only the "rainbow" effect like the iPhone.

Moving my finger and the Pencil over the iPad Pro screen...with slight force, these "bumps" do not change.

3L74qyA.jpg

Reactions: xsdeus

xsdeus

macrumors regular
May 24, 2012
San Diego, CA
I thought this also, even though I applied the "Invisible Shield HD" screen protector on pretty darn flush, I thought perhaps the filter might show creases what the naked eye can't see. I applied it to this old iPad mini over a year ago, actually have a real annoying air bubble in the corner..but nothing appears with the filter - only the "rainbow" effect like the iPhone.

Moving my finger and the Pencil over the iPad Pro screen...with slight force, these "bumps" do not change.

3L74qyA.jpg

Does your iPhone have a screen protector as well?

b0fh666

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2012
south
really odd indeed - please investigate further :)

about the night vision and iphone thing, it was probably an IR emitter, I think the sensor that detects the iphone is close to your face uses IR. 'night vision' is basically infrared

lssmit02

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2004
I thought this also, even though I applied the "Invisible Shield HD" screen protector on pretty darn flush, I thought perhaps the filter might show creases what the naked eye can't see. I applied it to this old iPad mini over a year ago, actually have a real annoying air bubble in the corner..but nothing appears with the filter - only the "rainbow" effect like the iPhone
It's the adhesive glue used in the LCD assembly. That's all you're seeing.
Glue sounds interesting. What I noticed with my IPhone 6 Plus is that the effect went away when I removed the screen cover.

soconne

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2007
Glue sounds interesting. What I noticed with my IPhone 6 Plus is that the effect went away when I removed the screen cover.

The glue will change the polarization of the light being emitted from the underlying LCD. That's why you can see the outline of the glue itself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.