iPad RSS readers

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by luten, Apr 5, 2010.

1. macrumors newbie

Apr 4, 2010
    I started off using the free 'Feedler' RSS reader, which was okay, but wanted something that was more full featured. I normally use Byline on my iPhone, but they don't have an iPad version out yet. After searching around more on the app store, I came across NewsRack and bought it (they have a universal iPhone/iPad app). So far, I'm VERY happy with it - it supports manual ordering of feeds, instapaper, a nice inline browser, etc.

Anyone else using NewsRack or found a great iPad RSS reader?
  2. macrumors 6502

Aug 25, 2005
    reader.google.com for me - I'm not paying $10 for an app for that - my 2 cents.
  3. macrumors 65816

Jul 4, 2009
    I'm using the Feeddler app.

Edit: I've found it to be great for me...
  4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 4, 2010
    The google rss reader works okay but not great, but I find the scrolling to be awkward.
  5. dav
    macrumors 6502

Jun 29, 2004
    I would imagine you can expect an update soon, seeing as how gmail got a facelift specifically for the iPad. I'm just going to wait it out.
  6. macrumors 6502a

Aug 15, 2007
    I didn't think they had an iPad version.
  7. macrumors 68030

Apr 10, 2003
    A hot desert
    I too am looking for a better rss reader than googles mobile. Something with a built in browser for limited feeds. That said my go to on the iPhone was netnewswire. Which has always been buggy but I was able to tolerate it as I paid. Now nnw wants 10$ with no demo for the non universal iPad app and that's before they aide the price to $15. Good luck with that nnw. I know I won't give you another penny whilst you still ignore the bugs in the iPhone os. So. Nothing much to add about which to use but I I'll say I would steer clear of nnw who clearly doesn't support their customers. Look at he iPhone reviews of their reader to see support for my statements. Clearly I'm not alone.

Does newsrack sync for offline viewing, post to Facebook, and refresh quickly? Does it hide sources with no new articles?
  8. macrumors 6502

Aug 25, 2005
    Not google's mobile, the full Google Reader. If it loads up in the mobile version, you can click at the bottom to load the full version.
  9. macrumors 6502

Aug 31, 2007
    What i did to avoid having to click that full version link is to set a bookmark to the full version URL, that will force it to load the full version every time.
  10. macrumors 6502

Sep 7, 2003
    I'm using NetNewsWire at the moment, but will switch to Reeder as soon as an iPad version is released.

I don't like NetNewsWire (for iPad) much at all. I keep trying to slide news items to mark them as starred (like in Reeder), but instead I have to tap a button way up in the top right corner. Also, it seems to take much longer to sync than Reeder.
  11. macrumors 6502a

Jun 8, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    Using Reeder on my iPhone but had NewsRack from before. Loaded it up on my iPad and it's pretty good. There's some stuff I don't like about it but it's fast and gets the job done for now. Definitely shows promise!
  12. macrumors member

Sep 27, 2009
    I wasn't before, but thanks to you....

NewsRack is fantastic. I've been using NNW on the iPhone and was never completely happy with it. I've been looking for a replacement for the iPad, and I'm loving this already.
  13. macrumors 68030

Apr 10, 2003
    A hot desert
    Tbh I don't care for the full or mobile versions of google reader. Newsrack looks the business, but some comments made me rethink, like the first review of app speed. For $5 it's probably worth a try.
  14. thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 4, 2010
    I haven't had any problems with the speed of news rack - seems pretty responsive so far
  15. macrumors 6502

Sep 7, 2003
    Has anyone tried Headline yet? Looks nice. I'm considering purchasing it since I'm so unhappy with NetNewsWire.
  16. macrumors member

Jul 19, 2004
    I'm waiting for reeder. Have to just live with the web client until then.
  17. macrumors 65816

Mar 24, 2008
    I bought NewsRack yesterday. It's a good deal for $4.99 since it's a universal app. :)
  18. thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 4, 2010
    Yup - I was using Byline on my iPhone before, but since NewsRack is a universal app, I switched to that now on both my iPhone and iPad. I'm really liking it so far.

What is it about Reeder on the iPhone that people really like?
  19. macrumors member

Mar 2, 2010
    Which reader will sync with the iPhone, iPad and computer?
  20. macrumors newbie

Apr 5, 2010
    Right now I use google reader on my iPhone and Mac and I'm waiting for google to add some improvements like they did for gmail so I can scroll through the feeds instead of clicking previous and next.

Curious if anyone has tried The Early Edition as their rss reader? Looks like it will have support for google reader and instapaper in the next update.
  21. macrumors member

Aug 19, 2009
    Melbourne, FL
    I'm also waiting for Reeder. It's a beautiful app, very pleasing on the eyes. It has really great features that are very subtle in the UI which works really well on the iPhone. I can't wait to see what they do on the iPad.

I've been considering Early Edition but with the amount of feeds I'm subscribed to, I don't know how well that will work. A few of my feeds get a couple hundred updates a day and those feeds specifically only grt skimmed. I can imaginer having the Early Edition news paper UI being cluttered with articles from these feeds.
  22. macrumors 68030

Apr 10, 2003
    A hot desert
    Well. Bought it. So far I am not liking the ui. All that sliding and tiny left pane is a waste on the iPad. Obviously I have to get used to it but I wouldn't consider news rack to be exactly intuitive. Tappable elements all over the screen don't make for quick flow. That said it's fast. Synced well with google. Posts to Facebook and Twitter. So it will have to do for now. If I had paid more than five bucks I would be really annoyed. Or if I paid five and it wasn't universal. So at least the dev priced right. I'll revisit when I've spent more time in the app, it's only been 10 minutes usage so far, these are gut reactions and very likely to change.
  23. macrumors 6502a

Jan 6, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I currently use Feedler. How do you like Newsrack compared to Feedler? Is it worth the $5 over the free Feedler?
  24. macrumors 68000

May 12, 2009
    USG Ishimura
    How on earth do I add a feed to Feeddler?
    edit: nvm, figured it out :)
  25. macrumors 68040

Mar 24, 2006
    Nottingham, UK
    reederapp is gonna be releasing it's app soon...

read their tweets about it