Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Reeder is nice but frustrates the CRAP out of me. Why can't I just see e.g. JUST Engadget feeds if I want to, like in Pulse?

Ridiculous...

superflush

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2009
Reeder is nice but frustrates the CRAP out of me. Why can't I just see e.g. JUST Engadget feeds if I want to, like in Pulse?

Ridiculous...

What are you talking about? Of course you can see just Engadget feeds. Just open the Engadget feed.

normwood

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2008
In a house...duh!

Ridiculous...

William

Just "unpinch" the folder that your Engadget feed is in. Then "unpinch" the Engadget feed and it will open up all the individual articles. It's actually kinda nice once you figure out all the quirkiness.

Steve

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
What are you talking about? Of course you can see just Engadget feeds. Just open the Engadget feed.

William

Just "unpinch" the folder that your Engadget feed is in. Then "unpinch" the Engadget feed and it will open up all the individual articles. It's actually kinda nice once you figure out all the quirkiness.

Steve

And that's EXACTLY the problem. It's an excellent app without any guidance that you can do that. It'd also be nice to be able to not have to unpinch every time I open the app, but it is a REALLY good app, so hopefully these things will get fixed in time.

I still really like Pulse Reader, though, with its thumbnails etc...

In any case, thanks for pointing out how to pinch the individual things. Makes life a lot easier.

superflush

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2009
And that's EXACTLY the problem. It's an excellent app without any guidance that you can do that. It'd also be nice to be able to not have to unpinch every time I open the app, but it is a REALLY good app, so hopefully these things will get fixed in time.

You can also just tap the feed, if you dislike the multi-touch gesture.

JulianL

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2010
London, UK
It'd also be nice to be able to not have to unpinch every time I open the app
That's only because those feeds (e.g. Engadget) are in a folder in your Google Reader account so Reeder makes them into its equivalent, a feed stack.

If there are feeds that you want to get to straight away without unpinching (or, as someone else mentioned, just tap on the stack if you don't like the gesture) then go to your Google Reader account and move Engadget out of whatever folder it's in and put it at the top level, that way Reeder will put it directly on the opening screen and not inside one of the feed stacks.

I agree with you about lack of guidance though, it needs more help features and documentation.

- Julian

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008

Ridiculous...

I love comments that call fault to an app when it's purely user error and lack of knowledge. I thought the app was intuitive. If you can use the Photo app, you can use Reeder.

MaxPower49

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2008
I love comments that call fault to an app when it's purely user error and lack of knowledge. I thought the app was intuitive. If you can use the Photo app, you can use Reeder.

I think he has a point... I was trying to do the same thing for 10 minutes last night before finally giving up. Couldn't find any help either within the app or on the dev's website.

Still a nice app though... trying to decide if i will stick with it or go back to Mobile RSS HD which has more intuitive controls IMO.

superflush

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2009

I agree with this. And it isn't like pinch-to-open is the only way to open a folder or feed. You can easily tap on it with one finger to open it.

srl7741

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
GMT-6
I had never used Reeder before the iPad release. I have to say, it's pretty neat and works great. I have since changed a few things around as far as what I normally go to.

I'm using NewsRack and Reeder along with Instapaper and Read It Later.
I've decided to give MobileRSS, Pulse and others a rest. They just are as polished for my uses.

andym172

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2003
UK
I really like the quirkiness of Reeder, but does anybody have any idea how to add a new feed into it?

Or, unlike with NewsRack, do you have to log into Google Reader itself to add a feed?

JulianL

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2010
London, UK
I really like the quirkiness of Reeder, but does anybody have any idea how to add a new feed into it?

Or, unlike with NewsRack, do you have to log into Google Reader itself to add a feed?

You have to do it via Google Reader, or keep NewsRack around to do it, which then pushes the change up to your Google Reader account for subsequent download to Reeder. Hopefully Reeder will address this in the future so that I can get rid of NewsRack - not that I think that NewsRack is bad, it's just that I prefer Reeder and would like to only have one app for all this stuff.

- Julian

andothfc

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
I really like 90% of Reeder but there are some annoyances to it that something like Newsrack doesn't suffer from.

I mainly comes down to the swiping right and left of lists and articles. I have no use for that feature and it makes scrolling lists difficult because often the horizontal swipe will be invoked as I'm trying to scroll vertically.

And what is the point of being able to swipe vertically when reading an article? Why would I want to 'peek' at the list of stories?

I'd also like the Mark All as Read button to do it without asking for confirmation as is the case with the iPhone app.

The pinch to open is a useless gimmick as well. It's a useful idea with photos but it doesn't translate to text based content.

Phil Lee

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2008
Manchester, UK
The best thing about Reeder is the location of the up and down buttons. It makes it so quick to flip through articles. I find the location of the same buttons in Newsrack to be a lot less convenient. I most often use the pinch to close when I've finished going through my unread articles. My normal usage with Reeder is to go to unread articles, flip through them all, sending interesting ones to Instapaper then pitch to close the feed.

I have started to use Newsrack again today so I can use a second Google Reader account for motor racing news, keeping the risk of spoilers to a minimum.

Doju

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
I really like 90% of Reeder but there are some annoyances to it that something like Newsrack doesn't suffer from.

I mainly comes down to the swiping right and left of lists and articles. I have no use for that feature and it makes scrolling lists difficult because often the horizontal swipe will be invoked as I'm trying to scroll vertically.

And what is the point of being able to swipe vertically when reading an article? Why would I want to 'peek' at the list of stories?

I'd also like the Mark All as Read button to do it without asking for confirmation as is the case with the iPhone app.

The pinch to open is a useless gimmick as well. It's a useful idea with photos but it doesn't translate to text based content.
Really? The pinching is one of, if not my favorite Reeder feature.

JulianL

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2010
London, UK
andothfc said:

I agree with that. I wish that feature could be disabled by a setting because it would still be possible to tap the read/unread or star icon at the top of the right-hand viewer pane to set the state on the current article. Like you I also find that I have trouble with scrolling the left list because I accidentally get some horizontal movement that stops the scroll.

Actually, as I use Reeder more I'm trying to work out whether it's my imagination or whether the scrolling in the main right-hand viewing pane is also a bit tricky. Quite often a swipe that I swear would scroll just fine in Safari doesn't start a scroll in Reeder and I have to swipe two or three times to get the scrolling started.

Even with the above, I love the Reeder interface and wouldn't change.

- Julian

srl7741

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
GMT-6
Actually, as I use Reeder more I'm trying to work out whether it's my imagination or whether the scrolling in the main right-hand viewing pane is also a bit tricky. Quite often a swipe that I swear would scroll just fine in Safari doesn't start a scroll in Reeder and I have to swipe two or three times to get the scrolling started.

Even with the above, I love the Reeder interface and wouldn't change.

- Julian
This happens with me also. It does not bug me enough to not use the App but I think I also notice a small skip or delay in getting the movement to apply when touched.

Reeder is still my favorite but I have to admit I keep NewsRack and still love NewsRack. NewsRack is so polished and works great. I call it up for those times I'm in a different mood and want something different.

dizzy130

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2010
am I missing something?

I use the free versions of Byline on my iPhone and (I think) Feeddler on my iPad (I've only had the iPad since Friday and I don't have it with me at the moment...if it's not Feeddler that's free I'm using some other free app). I have over 200 Google Reader feeds and they both sync perfectly. They both have very nice interfaces. Both cache for offline reading and even grab the full post for feeds that don't do full text. They both have the occasional ad but nothing intrusive. I'm very happy with both. Am I missing something by not getting one of these paid apps?

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I believe that Feed Hopper is the best RSS reader on the iPad..It is a shame that most people don't seem to know it, but it works really great.

kepner

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2003
Has anyone tried "Times" for the iPad yet? It's priced rather high and there are not any reviews showing for it.
I'm wondering if it only works in Landscape mode also?

It works in both portrait and landscape.

It's a neat idea, and it works well. Unfortunately, it doesn't sync with Google Reader, so I probably won't use it.

srl7741

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
GMT-6
Google Reader is more of a perk to me and not a deal breaker. As long as the App is fast and smooth I'm normally happy :)

It looks nice and reminds me of The Early Edition kind of.

Edit* Here is a review of the iPad App. Link

srl7741

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
GMT-6
Well? I went ahead and installed "Times" for the iPad and so far I really like the appearance of a news paper. I'm using a WiFi iPad so can't comment on how using it with a 3G is. It could use a few more features or creature comforts but for a first version it's pretty good. Since the cost is so high I expect updates which should add items users are reporting to the developer.

It's still on the high side cost wise but works great. No sync with Google Reader was not a deal breaker for me but could be for some. I tend to like having Apps that offer different reads. Not everything needs to sync w/GR.

One option it's missing that needs included is allowing to read from the original web page from any views. You currently have to be in Landscape mode. When in landscape mode the use of the screen space is pretty bad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.