iPad scam

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by tech4all, Nov 8, 2012.

1. macrumors 68040

tech4all

2. macrumors 603

Tomorrow

It's kinda hard for me to feel sorry for her. Seems like her decision was based on pure greed. But yes, she was scammed.

3. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is. I feel bad for her, but she really doesn't have anyone to blame but herself.

4. macrumors 65816

Mousse

Well, you can't place the entire blame on her. Some of these con artist are persistent and are strangely charismatic. Years ago, my boss go scammed into paying $200 for a supposedly $600 camcorder. It turned out to be one of those $10 toy in a fancy camcorder case. Fortunately for me, I'm poor and have high resistance to charismatic types.

They usually work in pairs, a talker and a lookout. The lookout never says a word, but was surreptitiously attentive of the surrounding. The talker had a silver tongue and a voice to rival Morgan Freeman and James Earl Jones. The man could sell brass knuckles to Ghandi. He could talk a turtle out of its shell. If he spoke in a coal mine, diamonds would tinkle from the ceiling. He buttered her up like a Sunday roll. She never had a chance.

5. Shrink, Nov 9, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2012

macrumors demi-god

Shrink

Sorry to sound hard hearted, but Barnum was right...there's one born every minute.

6. macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Scam victim? BS. All i see is a stupid person who attempted to buy a stolen product. No sympathy from me. Why would anyone give you that great of a deal on an $800 product?

7. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'm ashamed to say that I found the woman ignorant even after opening the box. She said it looked like an iPad when you turned it over ... ummm no, it did not.

8. macrumors member

he said he learned a valuable lesson and it only cost 200$. :/ Still...

9. macrumors 6502a

jwingfie

Buying an iPad from some random guy at a gas station... How stupid do you really have to be?

10. macrumors 68030

Mr. McMac

You got that right. Do I feel sorry for her? Nope.

11. thread starter macrumors 68040

tech4all

Another thing is that there is no original iPad package, just a FedEx box she received it in. At least that's what I saw in the video.

- $800 iPad for $200.
    - Random dude on the street.
    - No Apple packaging; FedEx box.

How does that not sound off the scam alarm? :confused: