Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Novataglio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2007
I tried searching on Google and on a few Mac forums and haven't really found anything meeting exactly what I'm seeing here. When I try to sync my iPad I get the message "The iPad is synced with another iTunes library. Do you want to erase this iPad and sync with this iTunes library?"

I've never plugged my iPad into another PC. I have not jailbroken or anything else. The only thing that I can think of that has changed is that I upgraded iTunes to the latest version and it has been awhile since I last plugged the iPad in.

I have a few concerns that I want your suggestions on before clicking "Delete away!"

1) Is there any way I can keep game and other apps progress/settings/etc if sync isn't working? I don't want to be starting from scratch again.

2) Any way to make sure all the apps I've bought on my iPad are carried over or redownloaded? I don't want to lose any of them.

I apologize if this has been covered somewhere else. This is the first time iTunes has ever caused me any problems. Thank you for any and all suggestions!

windmill83

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2010
When you upgraded iTunes did you uninstall the old version or use the built in iTunes upgrade function? I had no problem with my iPad when I used the upgrade function that was built into iTunes to upgrade from ver 9 to ver 10 a few weeks ago. Also, be sure you are logged into the correct iTunes account if you have more than one. I think there is a transfer function for the apps that were purchased from iTunes. I have not used it myself. I also read that you can redownload the apps that you already purchased without being charged again. I have not tried this either.

The iPad is a great device but I think it can be improved in the way syncing is done. Apple should allow the sync to go the other way for a new or changed PC. It should ask you if you want to copy the contents of your iPad to your PC and not just make you start over.

Touchstone64

macrumors regular
May 10, 2010
Manchester, UK
The release notes for the version of iTunes released today mention fixing a few issues with library syncing. Or is that the version you've upgraded to? 10.0.1 I believe...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.