Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

According to a report in the Guardian, Apple is planning to revise the full-size iPad with LTE support for the United Kingdom, something that was missing when the device was released earlier this year.

Additionally, the paper says the iPad mini will only support Wi-Fi. However, that claim seems slightly more suspect. This part leak of what is purported to be the rear shell of the iPad Mini includes both the plastic covering for a cellular antenna at the top of the device, as well as a SIM card slot on the lower right. The leaked part could be fake, but it appears to be well-machined and is more polished and detailed than a typical fake.

NewImage13.png
Mockup of 7.85-inch "iPad mini" (courtesy of CiccareseDesign)
Apple's expected "iPad mini" will only come in a Wi-Fi version - but there will also be a revised version of the iPad with 4G connectivity compatible with the UK's Everything Everywhere network, and sporting the new "Lightning" connector, industry sources have told the Guardian.

[...]

Multiple sources contacted by the Guardian have indicated that they think the announcement of the "iPad mini" is imminent, with retail sources saying that they anticipate new products in November.
The paper also links to photos posted by Australian writer Sonny Dickson that are purported to be photographs of the iPad mini, though the photos linked are mockups. The model number is from a current-generation Wi-Fi iPad, and it appears that the serial number is as well.

There have been rumors of a full-size iPad refresh, potentially updating the device with better battery life or a Lightning connector, but the rumors of added LTE support for international markets is new. It makes sense, however, given the support for international LTE networks in the iPhone 5.

Article Link: iPad to Be Updated with UK 4G LTE Support, iPad Mini to Be Wi-Fi Only?

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Way to dump on everyone in the UK that just bought a new iPad, buying in to all of that "spectrum is fragmented, won't be available for a few years yet" jargon.

Thanks, Apple!

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Wi-Fi only makes sense. $149.00. ;)

----------

Way to dump on everyone in the UK that just bought a new iPad, buying in to all of that "spectrum is fragmented, won't be available for a few years yet" jargon.

Thanks, Apple!

LOL. Like the UK does not dump on Apple at every turn? Man up!! :apple:

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC

Thanks, Apple!

Well, it's still a rumor at this point! Maybe Apple won't offer LTE for UK folks.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011

Thanks, Apple!

here we go again, what with all the moaners on here. Yes I bought an ipad and yes I know it will be updated at some stage and mine wont be the latest, BUT does it still do everything it said it would do on the box when I bought it? YES!!!!!

get over it

what difference if it gets updated sooner or later? will you ipad stop working? if its new you can always sell it at a good price.

Hitch08

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2008
I would be quite tempted to get a new, updated iPad. My original iPad is getting a bit long in the tooth.

MacHiavelli

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2007
new york
When I bought the iPad in the uk, the apple store said it was compatible with uk 4g...or would be when 4g would be available in the uk.

A few days later, that all changed on the apple website.

I complained to apple, but they refused to refund the money.

Utter rip off.

KieranDotW

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Canada
Wifi only? Not sold on that one. IMO cellular makes more sense on a smaller device, something people are going to carry around more. Plus it would sort of fill the gap for a cellular-enabled iPod touch.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
Ipod touch -> ipad mini wifi -> ipad lte retina

That product line could make sense.

sineplex

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2010
wifi only = NO GPS, NO COMPASS
wifi only = NO SALE

LTE and 7" size was the biggest draw for me.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
Assuming there is room, why not follow the model of the larger iPad and charge a premium for 3G?

I would have zero interest in a non-3G 7" model. I know others would, but this is just my opinion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.